LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard has been a top 4 D for his entire career up until this year. He was also seen as being more of a 2/3 for most of his career. The first time Chairot has been referred to as a 2/3 is when Habs fans want to trade him. :laugh:

Savard is a fringe top 4D and above average bottom pairing guy.

Chiarot > Savard. I don't know who's saying 2/3 but I'm not. I will say solid top 4D quality who provides the physical/skating element which is valuable in the playoffs. Personally, I don't know too many Habs fans who are saying 2/3 type guy. 2 is laughable yeah but you probably made that up as exaggeration to try to prove your weak point.

I know both their games well and I'd take Chiarot over Savard. What's the gap? Hard to nail down but Chiarot's skating for a big man is underrated.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Savard is a fringe top 4D and above average bottom pairing guy.

Chiarot > Savard. I don't know who's saying 2/3 but I'm not. I will say solid top 4D quality who provides the physical/skating element which is valuable in the playoffs. Personally, I don't know too many Habs fans who are saying 2/3 type guy. 2 is laughable yeah but you probably made that up as exaggeration to try to prove your weak point.

I know both their games well and I'd take Chiarot over Savard. What's the gap? Hard to nail down but Chiarot's skating for a big man is underrated.
The bolded only matters marginally here. What really matters is GM's opinions of the two players when they were on the market, Savard's regression since getting to Montreal doesn't matter one bit.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The bolded only matters marginally here. What really matters is GM's opinions of the two players when they were on the market, Savard's regression since getting to Montreal doesn't matter one bit.

Savard has not regressed. He was a fringe top 4D before we had him, after we acquired him, and today during our mess of a season. I hated when the Habs signed him to that contract. Don't hate the player but he's overpaid and does not skate that well. Personally, I would have re-signed Merrill at a fraction of the cost.

What GM's think does matter. Agreed there. Have you seen various media reports on them talking to teams about Chiarot? Chiarot's trade value is not something Habs fans are picking out of thin air

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Savard has not regressed. He was a fringe top 4D before we had him, after we acquired him, and today during our mess of a season.

What GM's think does matter. Agreed there. Have you seen various media reports on them talking to teams about Chiarot? Chiarot's trade value is not something Habs fans are picking out of thin air
Well that's simply untrue. He was a 2/3 a few years ago in Columbus, settled in as their #3 for a number of years, and was traded to Tampa as a 3/4, where he played throughout the playoffs while winning a cup. Where exactly is fringe top 4 in there? He might be a 5/6 now, but you are grossly underrating David Savard over the course of his career to date, and I think you are intentionally doing it to inflate the value of Chairot.

How many teams do you think trade their 1st round pick this year? How many on a defensemen?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well that's simply untrue. He was a 2/3 a few years ago in Columbus, settled in as their #3 for a number of years, and was traded to Tampa as a 3/4, where he played throughout the playoffs while winning a cup. Where exactly is fringe top 4 in there? He might be a 5/6 now, but you are grossly underrating David Savard over the course of his career to date, and I think you are intentionally doing it to inflate the value of Chairot.

How many teams do you think trade their 1st round pick this year? How many on a defensemen?

No I'm not hiding anything. I said the same things about Savard when I heard the Habs were trying to sign him. Said I rather re-sign Merrill at a fraction of the cost.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
who cares about david savard that was one trade that has no tie to ben charot. tampa also got him at 25% of his cap it.

Chiarot has a 10 team no trade list so he can eliminate nearly 1/3 of teams for his services which mostly might be non-playoff teams though. i wouldn't be shocked if gets a 1st but i'll believe it when i see it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
who cares about david savard that was one trade that has no tie to ben charot. tampa also got him at 25% of his cap it.

Chiarot has a 10 team no trade list so he can eliminate nearly 1/3 of teams for his services which mostly might be non-playoff teams though. i wouldn't be shocked if gets a 1st but i'll believe it when i see it.

My asking price was two 2nd's before this 1st talk came along. Possible he gets a 1st but hard to say. I think teams are in on him but want to acquire for the cheapest possible. If they are forced to give a 1st, the sign/trade might be in play.

All I know is Chiarot is going to help one team for the playoffs. The guy is very strong and his skating is underrated. He's a warrior out there and raises his game in the playoffs. Rounded out his game very well in his time with the Habs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No I'm not hiding anything. I said the same things about Savard when I heard the Habs were trying to sign him. Said I rather re-sign Merrill at a fraction of the cost.
You may not be hiding anything, but you are blatantly ignoring what he was for his entire career up until he started to age out. He was traded for a 1st based on his reputation, and more importantly, the fact that he was literally the only defenseman on the market who wasn't a surefire bottom pairing guy. You keep asking for comparable defensemen to Chairot, but it doesn't matter if there are comparable defensemen to Chairot, there are roughly a dozen UFA defensemen out there on non-playoff teams that contenders can look at this year. Last year, they had one. David Savard.

And I agree that it was a bad signing for Montreal. He's making too much.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
My asking price was two 2nd's before this 1st talk came along. Possible he gets a 1st but hard to say. I think teams are in on him but want to acquire for the cheapest possible. If they are forced to give a 1st, the sign/trade might be in play.

All I know is Chiarot is going to help one team for the playoffs. The guy is very strong and his skating is underrated. He's a warrior out there and raises his game in the playoffs. Rounded out his game very well in his time with the Habs.
I think the two 2nd's ask is a lot more realistic than the 1st talk.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The guy is the perfect #2 or #4 for puck moving and offense orientated defensemen.
Have him paired with the 'better player' and then he does everything else right and makes the line look good.

That's what I have seen anyways but havnt watched him this year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You may not be hiding anything, but you are blatantly ignoring what he was for his entire career up until he started to age out. He was traded for a 1st based on his reputation, and more importantly, the fact that he was literally the only defenseman on the market who wasn't a surefire bottom pairing guy. You keep asking for comparable defensemen to Chairot, but it doesn't matter if there are comparable defensemen to Chairot, there are roughly a dozen UFA defensemen out there on non-playoff teams that contenders can look at this year. Last year, they had one. David Savard.

And I agree that it was a bad signing for Montreal. He's making too much.

He don't suck but I do hate that contract he signed with the Habs. I stand firm. Chiarot is better

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

He's good, anyone who says he sucks is clueless or dumb. 1st just seems like a bit much, well see

Reactions: Habs Halifax

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He don't suck but I do hate that contract he signed with the Habs. I stand firm. Chiarot is better[/QUOTE]
I think you are again missing the point. Nobody is saying Savard is better than Chairot right now. Nobody is saying that Chairot sucks. Chairot is better than Savard. But that doesn't mean anything when it comes to the trade market. Especially when Savard was traded with enough retention to get him at 25% of his salary last year. Is Montreal going to find a team that is willing to pay assets to get another team involved to eat some salary? Maybe, but its not that common.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He's good, anyone who says he sucks is clueless or dumb. 1st just seems like a bit much, well see

I guess it depends on if that 1st is 16-20, 21-25, or 26-32. Might be why some teams will wait till deadline. Better sample size of where they are at. I have my doubts about the 1st but I also know each deadline varies in the supply/demand narratives.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
Savard was number one on the TSN trade board at the deadline. Why? Because no other defensemen were available. Everyone signed extensions. There is an abundance of defensemen available this year. Savard may be a comparable player but the situations are not comparable in the least.
Who are the others dman like Chiarot available (for about the same price)? I'm pretty sure he made a great impression last year in the playoff. Coaches love to have a guy like him. He was clearly in the head of Mathews. He will be in demand as mentionned by Lebrun. Would not be surprised to see the Leafs acquired him.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who are the others dman like Chiarot available (for about the same price)? I'm pretty sure he made a great impression last year in the playoff. Coaches love to have a guy like him. He was clearly in the head of Mathews. He will be in demand as mentionned by Lebrun. Would not be surprised to see the Leafs acquired him.
It isn't hard to go find a list of UFA defensemen. All you need to do is remove the ones on playoff teams and you have a list of guys who are almost certainly available. I've posted the list before in other discussions, but you really should have the capability to find it on your own. You can demand someone give a list of players "like" another player and then tear it down because they don't have identical skill sets for nearly every player in the league. The fact is, last year, there was one top 4 defenseman available, and he ended up getting traded for a 1st with 75% retention on his contract so the Lightning could fit him in. There is a much longer list (so far) of pending UFA's on non-playoff teams, some of those are even top 4 guys, which will make for a softer UFA defenseman cost at the deadline than last year.

He will be in demand for sure. Nobody is saying he is bad, or that nobody wants him. The issue of contention is whether or not one of the few first round picks dealt at the deadline (typically there is only a handful of 1sts traded in a year) will be used on him, and if "Savard got a 1st so Chairot will" is a logical statement to make.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
It isn't hard to go find a list of UFA defensemen. All you need to do is remove the ones on playoff teams and you have a list of guys who are almost certainly available. I've posted the list before in other discussions, but you really should have the capability to find it on your own. You can demand someone give a list of players "like" another player and then tear it down because they don't have identical skill sets for nearly every player in the league. The fact is, last year, there was one top 4 defenseman available, and he ended up getting traded for a 1st with 75% retention on his contract so the Lightning could fit him in. There is a much longer list (so far) of pending UFA's on non-playoff teams, some of those are even top 4 guys, which will make for a softer UFA defenseman cost at the deadline than last year.

He will be in demand for sure. Nobody is saying he is bad, or that nobody wants him. The issue of contention is whether or not one of the few first round picks dealt at the deadline (typically there is only a handful of 1sts traded in a year) will be used on him, and if "Savard got a 1st so Chairot will" is a logical statement to make.

If it's not hard to find a ufas list of defensive defenseman (as good as Chiarot), maybe you could throw a name or two in your argument next time? The Habs can retain salary too. Anyway, I'll trust insiders like Lebrun before I trust someone name ManofSteel on the internet, but hey, thanks for the imput!

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I understand he's a good player, I'm not denying that. I just disagree that he will draw more attention than Savard simply due to supply vs demand of their respective positions at the time of the deadlines. Savard's price went up due to lack of available RHD, where as I said, there are many LHD options available this year.
It's all revolves on the contenders needs on which D-man is worth the price.
All in all some think that Chiarot will get 1 st rd pick from a team in the hunt looking for good D-man especially if the Habs retain

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Savard has been a top 4 D for his entire career up until this year. He was also seen as being more of a 2/3 for most of his career. The first time Chairot has been referred to as a 2/3 is when Habs fans want to trade him. :laugh:
Since you seem attached to Savard and don't seem to care about Chairot we'll just switch now send us that 1st.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad