LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Giordano is the only one that I'd easily take above Chiarot, but he also makes close to double the money... Ristolainen is close to Chiarot, he's RHD so it might comes down to the preferred side really. He's also paid 1.9M more. If it's just me, I'd take Chiarot. Ristolainen might be better offensively and more aggressive, but he lacks defensive awarness and positioning. Guy is -173 for his career ffs!!! I still like the player tho.
Most team looking to add a dman for the playoffs already have a PP guy. They'll most likely want a guy to play physical and be reliable when their top guys are on the bench. That's exactly what Chiarot and Giordano are.
Usually teams go for shutdown defensemen expecting them to be less expensive to acquire than puck movers. It will be interesting to see what happens as other teams slide out of playoff contention.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Usually teams go for shutdown defensemen expecting them to be less expensive to acquire than puck movers. It will be interesting to see what happens as other teams slide out of playoff contention.
I don't necessarily agree. Most teams contending already have their top puck movers IMO. If you need a top puck mover, you're probably out of contention for the playoffs or have more important holes somewhere else in your line up.
FYI Chiarot isn't what he used to be 5 years ago. He's capable of making a good first pass and a good skater for his size. He's not a dynamo, but not incapable of making a play either.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
If you have a Top 10 offensive defense man he can be that rock to help protect the net front. If you have a Buff or Weber level player Charoit can help spread the depth of the defense. Don’t expect him to carry a pair. I hope teams I like don’t overpay for a complementary player like this.

My guess is to the Capitals to pair alongside Carlson. Essentially replacing what they dealt away in Dillon.

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
pretty sure teams contending will already have good puck movers and in the playoffs players like Chiarot/Weber are very useful games get tighter and more agressif look at Colorado someone like Girard whos a great puck mover but was useless in the series against Vegas the Knights had a much tougher time facing Habs def and thats what GMs will be looking for at deadline

i have no doubt Chiarot will return a first and the team that acquires him will be happy with him in the playoffs and lets not forget that hes also playing for a new contract

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I'd bet real money he fetches at least a 2nd and a 3d or equivalent value. My ask from a team like Edmonton would be Bourgault (ie, 1st round prospect) and a 2nd that becomes a 1st if they make the finals.

2 1sts ? Am I living in lala land? Bourgault is dominating the Q in his D+1 and looks fantastic and you want him PLUS another #1? No thanks

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
2 1sts ? Am I living in lala land? Bourgault is dominating the Q in his D+1 and looks fantastic and you want him PLUS another #1? No thanks
Yeah. Montreal would be lucky to get Bourgault alone. Asking for anything on top is beyond greedy

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
You can’t have picks conditional on a player re-signing
Then LA Kings pass.1st would only be traded for a signed player and Matta going the other way.Looking over his stats thats about it.Kings not desperate at this time.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Then LA Kings pass.1st would only be traded for a signed player and Matta going the other way.Looking over his stats thats about it.Kings not desperate at this time.
Cool. Montreal will very likely get a 1st (or equivalent) from some team. If LA won’t pay it someone will

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Cool. Montreal will very likely get a 1st (or equivalent) from some team. If LA won’t pay it someone will
No one said they wouldn't get a first.Just not from the Kings during their rebuild which would be a lower first than a true contending team.Also he has a 10 team NTC,your options are few.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
No one said they wouldn't get a first.Just not from the Kings during their rebuild which would be a lower first than a true contending team.Also he has a 10 team NTC,your opinions are few.
Which is why I suggested the pick have lottery protection. Montreal is going to get value if they move him. Whether or not he’s a fit for LA is another matter.

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Absolutely they re far better than Chiarot...come on a first for Chiarot what the F!@#
Gudbranson/Zadorov may be better than Chiarot (Jets version). But there is no way they are better than Chiarot (Habs version). Chiarot has made a lot of improvements the last couple of years.

Reactions: japhi and frapp10

WalterNewell58

Mar 14, 2021
He's getting bashed a lot in this thread, but I always liked him when he was with the Jets. Good skater, hardest shot on the team, tough as hell, and ALWAYS stood up for his team mates. When he was paired with Buff, there weren't too many guys wanting to go into the corners.

Reactions: HabsQC

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
Highway robbery if they do, the dude is awful.
He was good in the playoffs last year. He's a solid #4 D that can play big minutes again tough competition. The main knock on him is he's not a good puck mover so he needs a partner who is.

Worse players than him have fetched a first at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad