Seravalli: Chiarot being scratched until traded?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
A 2nd at most. But I don't think thats likely.
Well, time will tell.

Reports indicate that there are 5-6 teams very interested in him. I would think if the price was a 3rd, one of those teams would have coughed it up by now.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Manson got a 2nd + Prospect, don't think Chiarot will get a 1st. I know Avs fans were high on that kid, but me personally I don't know what level of a prospect he was so kinda hard to gauge value. But I think a 2nd + small add is reasonable. I would like to use our 1st to upgrade on a better player than Chiarot.
Ditto. Pay the 1st+ for Lindholm, not Chiarot.

Reactions: HEAVY DUTY

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Manson got a 2nd + Prospect, don't think Chiarot will get a 1st. I know Avs fans were high on that kid, but me personally I don't know what level of a prospect he was so kinda hard to gauge value. But I think a 2nd + small add is reasonable. I would like to use our 1st to upgrade on a better player than Chiarot.
Even if that was true, when you consider there are maybe 6-8 teams interested, why would The Habs consider a "reasonable" deal?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why would he be? Manson is tougher and better defensively than Chiarot. Neither are known for their offense. Very good comparables though.

Chiarot is better offensively and has a lot more experience in the PO in a big role.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
From the sounds of it Ben Chiarot is the ideal player. Maybe the Habs should try to sign him to a new deal?

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
From the sounds of it Ben Chiarot is the ideal player. Maybe the Habs should try to sign him to a new deal?
I'd say he's an ideal top 4 defenseman in the playoffs, with his experience / grit. He'd fit perfect for you guys with a much needed playoff grit

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015

If I'm being honest, the team that signs him this summer could put themselves in a bad spot.

A lot of Chiarot's faults are being overblown in here, but they do exist. And because his playoff resume/style, he's likely going to get a raise and decent term.

None of that reduces his utility for a playoff run this year.

Reactions: nhlfan9191 and pth2

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs have guys like Petry, Savard and Edmundson signed, Romanov rounding into a top 4, and a few highly prized prospects coming up quickly. If we were contending now, we'd definitely want to keep him, but we aren't, and whether it's a 1st, 2 2nds, or a 2nd and a prospect, those returns are worth more to a rebuilding team than a win-now defenseman.
But if one of the present veteran D was gone, I'd resign him this summer in a heartbeat.

Reactions: JAVO16

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How is it Chiarot's max value if Chiarot is more valuable than Manson?

Because several ignorant fans think Chiarot is just some bottom pairing guy who plays 20-25 min a game. :laugh:. Mark my words, the return will be like Manson and slightly better (how much better I don't know) where the fan base he gets traded to all of a sudden values Chiarot as a top 4D physical D man that can skate.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I find it revealing that you're doubling down on this.

I think it shows just how misused these charts have become if they lead people to conclusions that are so obviously counter to reality.
I like Kulak as a bottom pair guy although I do think he exceeds in a particular role.

I can also see the benefits Chiarot brings, although I think the level of interest he's garnering is quite ridiculous.

Again, for all the talk about misusing charts and their inherent flaws, there's no middle ground and everyone is supposed to just take "eye test" at face value.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If I'm being honest, the team that signs him this summer could put themselves in a bad spot.

A lot of Chiarot's faults are being overblown in here, but they do exist. And because his playoff resume/style, he's likely going to get a raise and decent term.

None of that reduces his utility for a playoff run this year.
A Savard-type contract might make sense (3.5x4), but if it turns into a bidding war and he gets 5x5, that's going to come with buyers remorse, for sure.

bretpatrick7

Apr 17, 2015
They would if it wasnt for the fact we are rebuilding. He is a UFA and has a lots of interest and value in the market. If you want to get something in return, you need to give something back. The other option would be to trade him, get assets and re-sign him during the offseason if he wants to come back.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
No addition will matter to the leafs if they continue to get the goaltending they have been for several months. If the habs took mrazek and threw in Allen maybe I’d be interested in Chiarot.
Then it will cost a 1st + Knies as I proposed in the other thread.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
A Savard-type contract might make sense (3.5x4), but if it turns into a bidding war and he gets 5x5, that's going to come with buyers remorse, for sure.
The market being what it is, Chiarot will get more than that. Risto just got 5x5 and Chiarot > Risto.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Manson has declined significantly.

Possibly. The point is that its pretty obvious why teams would be interested in guys like Manson or Chiarot. And its not based on their net impact, its about their specific skill sets and how the game is called in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad