Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marcus Kruger for Future Considerations

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
We've heard nothing on Oscar Lindberg, maybe he's not thrilled to be in Vegas. Tradeback to the Rangers? Rangers offersheet? Goes to Sweden?

That is a cool move, breaking the offer sheet code on a player you lost to expansion for nothing. LV would match though unless other compensation could be worked out, NYR could use him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
These signing bonus hand shake deals are wacky. Either make signing bonuses stay with the cap of the team that pays them, or let teams trade guys and retain signing bonuses within the player's upcoming year of their contract.

It seems like a CBA loophole. Why is it that accrued salary throughout the year stays on each team's cap, but signing bonuses paid out don't if the player is traded?

Seems like a reasonable topic for the next CBA negotiation.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
This thread is funny. Fans were praying that Vegas would take him in the ED. He was terrible and could not afford the contract. Now it gets traded for futures and people are talking he could fetch a 1st? What? I do see it as another loss for Chicago. Chicago is in some danger of missing the playoffs. I'm not so certain this team is better than Nashville, Minnesota, St Louis. Dallas and Wpg should be improved as well. Definitely going to be more pressure on the big two. Still maybe a wildcard, but golf in April would not surprise me. Or disappoint.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
Next to none. I think you have to wait a year or something to trade a player back to the team you acquired them from in a trade.

No, that's the buyout policy.... If you buy a player out you have to wait a year before you can reacquire him...

I think it would be funny if say the Hawks send Vegas a pick or prospect for Kruger at 50% (1.5)... Watching the Hawk haters heads explode would be amusing.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
No, that's the buyout policy.... If you buy a player out you have to wait a year before you can reacquire him...

I think it would be funny if say the Hawks send Vegas a pick or prospect for Kruger at 50% (1.5)... Watching the Hawk haters heads explode would be amusing.
The Internet would die if that happened and Hossa plays in the playoffs....

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

This was speculated after the deal was made. Kruger sounds to be moving somewhere else now. Destination is currently unknown.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
What's the chances they retain and flip him back to the Hawks?

It's not allowed. Teams cannot acquire a player in a Retain Salary Transaction if that player was on the team's roster or reserve list in the past year.

CBA 50.5(e)(C)(4), page 273.
(C) Under no circumstances may a Club:
(4) Reacquire as part of a Retained Salary Transaction the SPC of a Player who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year;

Illustration: If Club A Trades the SPC of a Player to Club B (the "Initial Trade"), Club B cannot subsequently Trade an SPC of such Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade and retain a portion of the Averaged Amount of that SPC pursuant to a Retained Salary Transaction. However, Club B may Trade an SPC of the Player back to Club A within one (1) calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade if Club B does not retain any portion of such Player's SPC.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
It's not allowed. Teams cannot acquire a player in a Retain Salary Transaction if that player was on the team's roster or reserve list in the past year.

CBA 50.5(e)(C)(4), page 273.
Buuuut, if Vegas made a trade with some team while retaining salary then that team traded to the Hawks it could, work.

It's not going to happen, but there's always loopholes

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
Buuuut, if Vegas made a trade with some team while retaining salary then that team traded to the Hawks it could, work.

Not a CBA lawyer (not even a garden variety lawyer in my own country), but wouldn't trading on a salary retained player still qualify as a retained salary transaction? I'd have guessed that would still be prohibited by the clause.
As in team B or any third team can trade the contract back to team A only as long as there is no salary retention involved on the contract. Once it is - automatic one year waiting period.

Another thing that trips me up is the specific use of "calendar year" in the CBA. The original term "who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year" suggests Kruger could return to the Hawks in 2019 at the earliest, because he was on their reserve list in 2017, which all through 2018 would be the previous calendar year.

But then the example says "within one calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade" as if Hawks could actually reacquire Kruger as early as Jan 2018 (just not within 2017 itself).

Then again maybe you guys use the term calendar year completely differently from my German understanding of it. So from the interpretations, I am guessing, it's just used interchangeably with year. As in any 12 month period?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

Yea, but the whole "violate the spirit of the CBA" language basically allows the NHL to lay down whatever punishment they feel like if they think you are circumventing the cap. Even if you aren't explicitly breaking a rule.

See: Devils

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not a CBA lawyer (not even a garden variety lawyer in my own country), but wouldn't trading on a salary retained player still qualify as a retained salary transaction? I'd have guessed that would still be prohibited by the clause.
As in team B or any third team can trade the contract back to team A only as long as there is no salary retention involved on the contract. Once it is - automatic one year waiting period.

Another thing that trips me up is the specific use of "calendar year" in the CBA. The original term "who was on that Club's Reserve List within the past calendar year" suggests Kruger could return to the Hawks in 2019 at the earliest, because he was on their reserve list in 2017, which all through 2018 would be the previous calendar year.

But then the example says "within one calendar year from the date of the Initial Trade" as if Hawks could actually reacquire Kruger as early as Jan 2018 (just not within 2017 itself).

Then again maybe you guys use the term calendar year completely differently from my German understanding of it. So from the interpretations, I am guessing, it's just used interchangeably with year. As in any 12 month period?

It depends on how the NHL interprets the word "Transaction", the CBA isn't 100% clear. The CBA appears to define the Transaction as taking place between Team A (retaining) and Team B (acquiring) where the salary is actually retained. A legal argument could be made that if Team B later traded the player to Team C without additional retention that Team C has now taken on the obligations of Team B and is now a partner in the Retained Salary Transaction.

Yeah, the term calendar year can be used interchangeably in U.S. contracts. Usually the contract will include enough context where it is obvious if the intent is a period of 12 calendar months starting from Jan 1st or 12 calendar months calculated from any particular day. In this case it's calculated from the last day the player was on a team's reserve list.

TorstenFrings

lebenslang gruenweiss
Apr 25, 2012
Bremen
It depends on how the NHL interprets the word "Transaction", the CBA isn't 100% clear. The CBA appears to define the Transaction as taking place between Team A (retaining) and Team B (acquiring) where the salary is actually retained. A legal argument could be made that if Team B later traded the player to Team C without additional retention that Team C has now taken on the obligations of Team B and is now a partner in the Retained Salary Transaction.

Yeah, the term calendar year can be used interchangeably in U.S. contracts. Usually the contract will include enough context where it is obvious if the intent is a period of 12 calendar months starting from Jan 1st or 12 calendar months calculated from any particular day. In this case it's calculated from the last day the player was on a team's reserve list.

:nod: Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad