Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You make it seem like taking more money is a bad thing…haha.

Haha Oh I don't mean that at all. I'm just saying he could have got an NMC with less money. I don't fault him a bit for making what he can when he can.

But I don't like the narrative of him as a poor innocent lamb. He made his decision and this was a possibility of that.

The world is ruthless but not as much so for someone who already has made 75M and is deciding whether to retire at 36 or spend 7-9 months in Chicago to make 6M more before retiring.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Haha Oh I don't mean that at all. I'm just saying he could have got an NMC with less money. I don't fault him a bit for making what he can when he can.

But I don't like the narrative of him as a poor innocent lamb. He made his decision and this was a possibility of that.

The world is ruthless but not as much so for someone who already has made 75M and is deciding whether to retire at 36 or spend 7-9 months in Chicago to make 6M more before retiring.

I personally don’t see that narrative.
Clearly he enjoyed playing and being here. Sounded like he was looking for the same commitment from the organization.
Was it a fair expectation for him to retire a Knight? Clearly not after they extended Lehner last summer. I think most would agree that he deserved not to find out via Twitter.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
haha - love it. This is exhibit Z as to why people hate the Vegas Knights... Hate them.. Hate their coach, hate many of their players, hate their fanbase... hate their city... may they never win another game.

I'm not even a VGK fan. You're barking up the wrong tree.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This is how it has to be, sadly.
We are not in the halcyon days of no unions and no cap. Fleury had regressed and now he is at least getting a chance to play hockey.
Who knows, he could go lights out and make Chicago a better team down the road. Otherwise he can just retire and find room as a hockey analyst anywhere he wants.
Regressed lmao

The guy literally just won MVP as the best goalie in the league in the regular season:laugh:

Reactions: Longfield82

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
He said transaction. He is referring to the contract extension that will be announced tomorrow.
Ahh...he said something like, "We loved Marti, too." Like it was in the past tense. But I can see it the other way, too

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So you didn’t have the curiosity to tell him you were trading him. He was the heart and soul but it’s a business
Heart and Soul who just won a Vezina trophy, as well. They're carrying a lot of dead weight on that team, in terms of salary, but they couldn't figure out a way to keep Fleury. Pretty sure Karlsson and Reilly Smith didn't really contribute a lot against Montreal either. I hope Fleury plays next season and Chicago makes the playoffs and they face Vegas in the first round. As a hockey fan, that would be pretty fun to watch.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
So you didn’t have the curiosity to tell him you were trading him. He was the heart and soul but it’s a business
Thought is you don't want to tell a guy he is being traded until he is OFFICIALLY being traded. So many deals fall through and what are you gonna do, "About that trade... it's not happening. We still value you though..."

These insiders are so connected that they find things out before it had a chance to cross the finish line.

Walsh is an agent that really pushes to get leverage through emotion. Fleury and Walsh knew there was a chance of this from the exit interviews and the acknowledgement that Chicago had interest. It just leaked before it could be close to official. It sucks but it their job to do it.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Thought is you don't want to tell a guy he is being traded until he is OFFICIALLY being traded. So many deals fall through and what are you gonna do, "About that trade... it's not happening. We still value you though..."

These insiders are so connected that they find things out before it had a chance to cross the finish line.

Walsh is an agent that really pushes to get leverage through emotion. Fleury and Walsh knew there was a chance of this from the exit interviews and the acknowledgement that Chicago had interest. It just leaked before it could be close to official. It sucks but it their job to do it.
But you still should do right by the dude and trade him where he wants to go. You don’t have to be cap compliant until later in the off-season. Give him the opportunity to retire a penguin or knight

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
But you still should do right by the dude and trade him where he wants to go. You don’t have to be cap compliant until later in the off-season. Give him the opportunity to retire a penguin or knight
Do you though? He negotiated a 10 team no trade clause. He was traded to a team that was not on the no-trade list. Hawks are looking to win. Imagine if it was to Arizona or Seattle with an asset attached to take the salary? That would be much worse.

This was the last day of the season and Walsh is crafty. A new no-trade list for tomorrow could have been any team with cap space to constrict the Knights. If there was a deal, it had to happen today. This is a business for everyone, even beloved players.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Vegas is turning out to be a rather ruthless franchise. No room for sentimentality. You could see it right from the start when Neal and Perron were let go after the first season and the team has really stuck with that philosophy.

You can't argue with the results. Vegas has done a lot of winning in its short existence.
It's a fine line. One day Vegas wakes up and finds themselves in the Columbus situation. All their own top players suddenly want out, and all good players will add Vegas to their no-trade list.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

He, or Walsh, threatened to retire if he was traded anywhere. They weren't willing partners in the negotiations.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's a fine line. One day Vegas wakes up and finds themselves in the Columbus situation. All their own top players suddenly want out, and all good players will add Vegas to their no-trade list.

LOL Vegas tax situation and low cost of living alone will probably put Vegas low on everyone's NTC for a while yet.

And even if a player eventually gets traded (which is something that happens every year on every team, Vegas isn't unique) they still have the fat, sometimes too fat, contracts Vegas hands out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad