Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Thats "over reach" guessing/contingency plan

MAF is not giving up 7m. He just doesnt want to locate to mid/east coast from the sounds of it
The reports are there were hold ups in negotiation though bc CHI knew Fleury didn't want to report east
He may not want to give up his $6M owed this year, but barring another trade, his options are report, retire, or don't report and be suspended by the team and not get paid anyway

Nothing lost for CHI if Fleury doesn't go (in fact, contract slot gained if they want to use it in free agency), but VGK definitely just got out of a huge caphit for free* (*they lost a good goalie) in a flat cap offseason where others are paying to move pieces and their back was against the wall. CHI probably could/should have played a little more hardball (according to this speculating armchair GM :laugh:)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Hockey players live on the road for most of the season. It's not like he's taking his kids to school or coaching them in Hockey during the season.

Yes he will see them less but 6MM is too much to walk away from for an 8-10 month commitment.
Maybe not when youve made 50m+ already

Reactions: zeeto

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The reports are there were hold ups in negotiation though bc CHI knew Fleury didn't want to report east
He may not want to give up his $6M owed this year, but barring another trade, his options are report, retire, or don't report and be suspended by the team and not get paid anyway

Nothing lost for CHI if Fleury doesn't go (in fact, contract slot gained if they want to use it in free agency), but VGK definitely just got out of a huge caphit for free* (*they lost a good goalie) in a flat cap offseason where others are paying to move pieces and their back was against the wall. CHI probably should/could have played a little more hardball (according to this speculating armchair GM :laugh:)

I agree

The return itself is a joke. Hawks wanted a good goalie and Vegas wanted out of paying 7m. That was the main draw

I would be surprised to see MAF retire and give up 7m.

Reactions: uncleben

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Interesting. Hawks get a great goalie fir nothing, Knights take back no salary. Guess that was more important to them than the return.

Reactions: rocketdan9

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Is Hakkarainen injury prone or are there other reasons has only played 11 and 12 games in each of the last 2 seasons in the ECHL and AHL combined?

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I agree

The return itself is a joke. Hawks wanted a good goalie and Vegas wanted out of paying 7m. That was the main draw

I would be surprised to see MAF retire and give up 7m.
$6M owed next year*, but he has ~$75M career earnings (before dues and sharing and taxes)
If he's invested and is living well, there can be some incentive to not leave or uproot his family, and instead settle down and spend time with them

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What other "positional award" would you ever see something like this happen? The previous year winner being traded for pretty much nothing.

Adam Fox for future considerations!
Connor McDavid for a 7th round draft pick!

It's all about cap hit and cap space. Price got Montreal to finals and was passed by Seattle.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well

What's his favorite song? What does he like for breakfast?
I really miss Pierre McGuire :(

Probably this

sunspelt-organic-spelt-cereal-with-cocoa-200g.jpg

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
$6M owed next year*, but he has ~$75M career earnings (before dues and sharing and taxes)
If he's invested and is living well, there can be some incentive to not leave or uproot his family, and instead settle down and spend time with them

Agreed

But man 6m...

If I was the family... I would tell him to finish it out.

We will see your face everyday for the rest of our lives anyways

Reactions: uncleben

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Everyone trashing VGK for not contacting Fleury but did they have a choice?

If they told him about Chicago beforehand, is there any doubt he and Walsh would have done everything in their power to blow everything up?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Plenty of players get traded without being told.

f***ing Duchene got traded in the middle of a game to the Ottawa Senators.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
That's not how you treat the backbone of your team, oooooof.

Vegas has the "Its Vegas card" (Which I don't understand. 37+ heat every day with almost no rain, under the baking hot sun in a concrete jungle. No thanks!), but they won't be able to rely on that if they treat their players like this.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Everyone trashing VGK for not contacting Fleury but did they have a choice?

If they told him about Chicago beforehand, is there any doubt he and Walsh would have done everything in their power to blow everything up?
What could they really have done though? I can’t imagine that Chicago is making this trade blind. They’d have to have known this is a possibility, and that’s only reinforced by the return.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Vegas, probably trades and gets Fleury back at the deadline gets the Blackhawks to retain on Fleury and sends Chicago a 2nd round pick.

This was the handshake agreement that was talked about behind closed doors. Ha-ha

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
What could they really have done though? I can’t imagine that Chicago is making this trade blind. They’d have to have known this is a possibility, and that’s only reinforced by the return.

Both Chicago and VGK knew they couldn’t tell him. Now Chicago has a good chance he plays for them.

If VGK says, ‘Hey, MAF we want to trade you to Chicago,’ doesn’t he immediately retire and Vegas is unable to unload his cap hit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad