Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Yikes!

I guess VGK owners ticked about MAF not holding strong in the conference finals huh?

This is purely a cap space move. There were rumors of Panda to NJ, but that never materialized. They had to move one or the other, their lack of depth players this last season showed that. If no one wants to pay Panda 5 per, they have to let MAF go.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Wow. I feel so bad for MAF… all the guys does is give everything and perform. Didn’t even get a trade call. They pulled the same stuff with Schmidt…. Would make me think twice before signing there

Vegas thinks they are bigger than anything

tbh even after this, they will have a lineup of players wanting to join their club/city. The glamour/glitz/world class facility etc. hard to resist

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
7kE9PPce_o.jpg

Reactions: haveandare and Konk

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Vegas seems like a team that has no loyalty to it's players. I get it's a sport and there's no guarantees & all that but at some point it's gotta have a trickle down effect to attracting free agents.

Reactions: archiemandl

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
Wow... I didn´t expect that.

No Flower to pittsburgh... They need goalie who will play 4-5 years for them. Actually, why the hell they traded Murray over Jarry... WHY?!?

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Jesus christ when people said this year off season was going to be crazy i don't think most of us would have imagined a trade like this.

It sucks for fleury to be treated this way, but i wish him all the best in chicago for this year, great player and a great person.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nobody is talking about whether Robin Lehner can handle full time duty? I like the guy but i don't think he can. An AHL backup is a bad choice for a guy who has never had the reigns before.

They will sign someone for cheap .... maybe Holtby? there are options

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
While this frees up a huge amount in their cap (two goaltenders clogging up $12 million) the way the VGK went about it is as childish as you get. Like three year old childish. Notifying him by Twitter of the trade and not his Agent? Allan Walsh's slam of the VGK last season is more than likely the culprit here (Fleury should have fired his agent immediately after that). But then again, there's sometimes some other story behind the scenes that fuels these kinds of trades.

GreatSaveLuongo

May 4, 2009
Uh got a Vezina goalie for free lol... Hawks have to unload one of their young goalies now right? Probably Subban

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
No retention or contract going the other way? That's simply not possible for the Pens. I am disappointed, but I understand why they didn't out bid that. We can't afford to pay 10.5m total to our goalies, so we would have needed retention, or Pettersson or Jarry would have had to go the other way, or some combo.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Uh got a Vezina goalie for free lol... Hawks have to unload one of their young goalies now right? Probably Subban

We can just bury Subban in ECHL if need be or see if anyone else needs him for AHL goalie , etc as his cap hit is low and wont be on cap if he is sent down

Or we trade either him or Delia

We have a Euro set to play in Rockford with one of them that is only certainty

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Nobody is talking about whether Robin Lehner can handle full time duty? I like the guy but i don't think he can. An AHL backup is a bad choice for a guy who has never had the reigns before.

That's why this is so surprising to me. I'm guessing Vegas regresses next season. Trading away a Vezina winner for peanuts has to be the worst trade of the offseason so far.

I hope Chi talks to MAF and convinces him not to retire. Would love to see him move up in the wins rankings.

GreenLine

May 24, 2021
I like that Chicago reloaded for one last shot at another cup with Toews and Kane. I don't think they'll win, but I like that they're going for it.

Fleury deserves better than Vegas anyways.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Vegas needed cap relief , Chicago has cap space and a need for a veteran goalie. What's being reported is MAF may retire if so chicago isn't penalized towards its cap and vegas won't be obligated to compensate chicago. Sounds like vegas was avoiding using the buyout .

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I don't get the argument.

Goalies in general are notoriously very up and down and Fleury is especially, several of his best seasons have been followed by absolute stinkers. At age 37 he's a risky addition.

My point remained though at least a player was involved. The reigning Vezina winner always has value lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad