Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
That's why this is so surprising to me. I'm guessing Vegas regresses next season. Trading away a Vezina winner for peanuts has to be the worst trade of the offseason so far.

I hope Chi talks to MAF and convinces him not to retire. Would love to see him move up in the wins rankings.
I'm going to reserve judgement until i see what they do with that cap space, but if it's the Robin Lehner show when all is said and done.... they may be in for a rough season.

Reactions: Sinistril

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Why would pittsburgh trade for a 37 year version of the goalie they had. We don't need a 6M goalie who ALSO blows it every playoff run

93Crazed101

Apr 27, 2017
Greater Dallas
The same Jack Campbell that was one of the best goalies in the league this year?

I get where you're going with that point, but horrible timing
Yeah, that's not the consensus among Stars fans at this point. Most of us blame Jack Campbell's lack of success due to their being literally 0 support system for him. We didn't even have an AHL goalie coach until like his last season with us. We were still recovering from bankruptcy and ownership change. Money isn't an issue now, and I feel like he'd have done better now. At any rate glad he's doing well now.

Reactions: zeeto and JKG33

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Accidentally posted my initial reaction in the Blackhawks forum.

There's a big sect of the Vegas fanbase that are still obsessed with the inaugural "Golden Misfits" and love Fleury like crazy. I mean he's pretty universally loved in this city, but especially to those that prioritize sentiment over business logic, a big chunk of the fanbase is going to be furious as more and more find out what happened.

Happy to shed a big chunk of cap hit here, but I feel really bad for Fleury. He loves it in Vegas and he worked so hard to earn back his starting spot from Lehner, he got a Vezina out of it. Sucks that he's a casualty of Vegas' aggressive spending habits but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Whether he retires or plays out his contract in Chicago, I'm wishing Flower all the best. Sad day.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I thought Chicago was rebuilding? They clear their cap of one washed up over the hill player and then turn around and spend even more on a different one? why

If Vegas pulls in Eichel because of this I will break things.
I hear yeah, but bringing in a 36 year old goalie who just had a good season on one year term is different than a 38 D who had a declining year with two years of term, especially when you turn around a pick up a younger, currently better D as well

The most confusing thing to me is CHI seemingly knew Fleury might not report/retire, and I know they gave up virtually nothing in Hakkarainen, but why not negotiate some contingency piece - like a 7th or a conditional 3rd if he doesn't play a game, for helping VGK out of the caphit

Reactions: sandyfalkirk

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
What other "positional award" would you ever see something like this happen? The previous year winner being traded for pretty much nothing.

Adam Fox for future considerations!
Connor McDavid for a 7th round draft pick!

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I hear yeah, but bringing in a 36 year old goalie who just had a good season on one year term is different than a 38 D who had a declining year with two years of term, especially when you turn around a pick up a younger, currently better D as well

The most confusing thing to me is CHI seemingly knew Fleury might not report/retire, and I know they gave up virtually nothing in Hakkarainen, but why not negotiate some contingency piece - like a 7th or a conditional 3rd if he doesn't play a game, for helping VGK out of the caphit

Thats "over reach" guessing/contingency plan

MAF is not giving up 7m. He just doesnt want to locate to mid/east coast from the sounds of it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad