Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Plenty of players get traded without being told.

f***ing Duchene got traded in the middle of a game to the Ottawa Senators.
Does not make it right, especially a guy that you touted as the face of your franchise and who did so much for your team including winning the Vezina this past season.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
According to his agent, Marc-Andre will be taking time to discuss his situation with his family and seriously evaluate his hockey future at this time.
He may not report to Chicago.

You think he is going to give up 7 million, the opportunity to stick it to Vegas in the playoffs, and further burnishing of his HOF resume?

I don’t. He is not going to say so right away as he does enjoy the sympathy and loves playing the martyr.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Accidentally posted my initial reaction in the Blackhawks forum.

There's a big sect of the Vegas fanbase that are still obsessed with the inaugural "Golden Misfits" and love Fleury like crazy. I mean he's pretty universally loved in this city, but especially to those that prioritize sentiment over business logic, a big chunk of the fanbase is going to be furious as more and more find out what happened.

Happy to shed a big chunk of cap hit here, but I feel really bad for Fleury. He loves it in Vegas and he worked so hard to earn back his starting spot from Lehner, he got a Vezina out of it. Sucks that he's a casualty of Vegas' aggressive spending habits but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Whether he retires or plays out his contract in Chicago, I'm wishing Flower all the best. Sad day.

Vegas is turning out to be a rather ruthless franchise. No room for sentimentality. You could see it right from the start when Neal and Perron were let go after the first season and the team has really stuck with that philosophy.

You can't argue with the results. Vegas has done a lot of winning in its short existence.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You think he is going to give up 7 million, the opportunity to stick it to Vegas in the playoffs, and further burnishing of his HOF resume?

I don’t. He is not going to say so right away as he does enjoy the sympathy and loves playing the martyr.

Or maybe he doesn't want to move his family. Considering he has accomplished literally everything reasonable a goalie can achieve in the NHL, he may just want to retire to prevent his family from moving.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

Yeah, money will be a big factor in his decision. We'll see what happens.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Or maybe he doesn't want to move his family. Considering he has accomplished literally everything reasonable a goalie can achieve in the NHL, he may just want to retire to prevent his family from moving.

Could be. But he also agreed to be taken by an expansion team. VGK was supposed to suck, remember? No Kane or Jones on that team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vegas is turning out to be a rather ruthless franchise. No room for sentimentality. You could see it right from the start when Neal and Perron were let go after the first season and the team has really stuck with that philosophy.

You can't argue with the results. Vegas has done a lot of winning in its short existence.
I'll grant you Neal but Perron wanted to go back to St. Louis the first chance he got.

Though I do agree in principle.

This obsession with winning a cup quickly has made this team a pretty obvious turnover roster. And it's bled into their lack of focus on prospect development. They dropped the ball badly with Cody Glass, and I'm willing to bet that if the Knights acquire Eichel, they'd be more than happy to move Krebs and avoided the labors of fostering their young talent.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think it will take a whole lot of work from the next Vegas management group to repair the damage they've done with him the past few years.

Depends if he and Foley have any relationship. Not sure if he is as hands on as some of the other owners.

Either way took Vegas only 5 years to have their own Dave Keon situation :naughty: :sarcasm:

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'll grant you Neal but Perron wanted to go back to St. Louis the first chance he got.

Though I do agree in principle.

This obsession with winning a cup quickly has made this team a pretty obvious turnover roster. And it's bled into their lack of focus on prospect development. They dropped the ball badly with Cody Glass, and I'm willing to bet that if the Knights acquire Eichel, they'd be more than happy to move Krebs and avoided the labors of fostering their young talent.

I mean, if it results in your team going deep in the playoffs year after year, I'd just enjoy the ride.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

For one year though? I think he'd be willing to just live there alone and see his family when he can.

& while money isn't everything + hes made a lot of it, $7 million is a lot to turn your back on

Eichel's singing "Viva Las Vegas" while packing his bags.

What assets do they have to trade for him though? They don't have much in the way of prospects and as a contending team, their picks are only so appealing.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Eichel's singing "Viva Las Vegas" while packing his bags.

Vegas doesn't have the pieces nor the cap space to really trade for him... They are re-signing Martinez which puts them at 7m once that signing is official.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I am Not and anti Vegas guy

but they sure seem to make some moves that could make players hesitant to sign there.

im ok with being aggressive to win, but seems to have been a few moves that are cold

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

If he doesn't want to play in Chicago but would be willing to go to Pittsburgh, then the Blackhawks should send him to PIT. Get the 7mil back for free-agency and get some assets from PIT for a goalie you got for free. Win-win.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
This is actually a great situation for everybody.

Chicago: gets the Vezina winner for free. Can retain and get a big return at the deadline for him if the team goes south

Vegas: cap space

Fleury: no goalie controversy. Will probably play on some playoff team regardless

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
VGK could offer Theodore + Krebs + a couple late 1sts. Is the return going to be so much better elsewhere with the neck issue and cap hit?

What does everyone expect Buffalo to get?

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Why are people clamoring about the Vezina like it matters at all?

An aging goalie that folds like a wet noodle in the playoffs has no real value to a contending team (the only kind of team who'd be interested in an aging goalie in the first place). It doesn't matter how good he played in meaningless regular season games the year before when you know how he played when it mattered the past couple years.
Why are you talking about Price in this thread?

Reactions: JaegerDice

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Gotta give Chicago props for going for it. Might as well try to swing for the fences, they were never going to do a full rebuild with Kane/Toews on the books anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad