Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VGK] Marc-Andre Fleury to Chicago for Mikael Hakkarainen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Gotta think it's gonna backfire at some point, but who knows.

That’s the thing, if this means Eichel, I don’t see that train stopping anytime soon. He’s only 24 and the supporting cast isn’t old. They have time to restock while the team is still good.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hardly. This is the new NHL. Cap space was the return and VGK made out like bandits here.

They got someone to take the whole 7 million dollar hit for 36 year old goalie who is due for a down year.

Everyone has said it each year that MAF is on the decline but he's one of the few goalies who's gotten better with age. Him, Mike Smith, Rolie the goalie.

Unless Vegas has a trade in the works for Eichel, then they just traded away their MVP since their existence.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sure, but still there's nothing about here Vegas not following the contract.

Never said it was. What Vegas did was totally legal. I question not informing Fleury about the trade though.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Especially after being the face of the franchise since it’s first season, taking them to a cup final and two conference finals, winning the Vezina, and most importantly moving your family there. It’s slimy as hell.
Vegas has always seemed like a slimy organization to me anyway so i really shouldn't be shocked. I wonder if the way they treated him deters others from from signing and potentially being subjected to this.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Past prime Toews but I bet both Toews and Kane had a talk with management wanting another run at the cup. These guys are winners and I can't see either of them happy on a rebuilding team.

Toews was nearly PPG in 2020 and just about PPG the year before. He still has it, even if he had to sit out this season.

Reactions: COHawk

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2012
They still don't have space to do anything but complete their roster, being at ~$12M under before Martinez is official, leaves them about $7M.

Their roster is already full once Martinez signs sans backup goalie. If they make a move for a center like Eichel or Kuznetsov 1 winger would have to go to make it work. Very manageable cap situation now on all fronts.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There's nothing morally repugnant about it, but one would imagine that big name free agents around the league would see this trade as an indication as the kind of treatment they could expect from the Knights' management. The players know it's a business, but that doesn't mean there aren't benefits to doing right by your stars.

I don't get this

He is in his last year of his contract

Unlikely to nil that Vegas extends him past this deal

They are also dancing close to the cap and could use to room to better their team

Plus Hawks want him

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
KABOOM!

Hawks got Jones and MAF; Hawks not playing around. They wanna go for it with before Kane/Toews are off their cap eh?

What does VGK get back in return? They were looking to get rid of some cap anyway; not sure they get massive overhaul for MAF anyway

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Smiles go a long way. Agents should coach their youts better.

Bad playoffs? There's always next year.
Bad playoffs? The team in front of you sucked (his win count is certainly indicative of playing for sucky teams)

"MAF is elite!" Let's sign him to a crazy long extension and make a push for the playoffs...... Whatever. I wish the man the best - but I'm elated we didn't do a stupid reunion tour on the Pens.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Toews was nearly PPG in 2020 and just about PPG the year before. He still has it, even if he had to sit out this season.

Toews probably won't be what he once was, that needs to be expected...

BUT...regardless he should still be at the very least a legit 2C and a guy that plays a solid 2way game and wins face offs. So either way he's gonna help their center situation A LOT compared to what they had to deal with last year.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Vegas has always treated their players like ****, they shipped Schmidt out after he signed a huge long term deal because a shiny new toy became available.
Every team would jump on a dime to acquire a better player for their player if they get the opportunity to.
This isn't a "play as well as you can" league, this is a "play to win" league.
Last time I checked Vegas made the right choice.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Being traded is business. Not telling someone directly is shitty business.

Can you post a link where MAF stated he found out from social media 1st?

otherwise how are you coming to this conclusion

trading a player 1st and then telling them after .... it happens

if you don't do this, they might , prevent the trade..... its already kind of happening (retirement)

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If he comes it will give Hawks a rock solid 1/2 punch in MAF and Lankinen

Lankinen showed he was NHL caliber but faltered down stretch when entire team fell of cliff which I dont really blame on him

Splitting games with MAF for a year is probably a very good thing for him in longrun

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad