Confirmed with Link: [CHI/VAN] Gustav Forsling traded for Adam Clendening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tv9924

Sep 16, 2012
Surrey, BC
We weren't going to see Forsling for a couple years anyways. Seems like we got a more developed version of him in this trade.

The WJC probably didn't help Forsling's value for Benning. To be fair the whole team wasn't on their game when it mattered.

I think it's quite the opposite actually, he was selected as one of the best Dmen in the tournament if I remember correctly.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Value is fine I guess, but I kind of disagree with the direction the team seems to be going. Swapping picks and 18 year olds for 22-23 year old AHL players that are coming up on waiver eligibility and that other teams aren't interested in developing any more reeks of impatience to me.

Given the Canucks current situation of entering a rebuild, I'd personally value younger assets over older ones. A guy like Clendening will be UFA age by the time the Canucks will likely have a shot at being dangerous again.

I like the skill set though. Much rather have him on the ice than a guy like Sbisa.

Taelin

Resident Hipster
Jan 17, 2012
Vancouver
I like these hockey trades that Benning is making. We're basically making up for our horrible drafting from 2007-2011 by gaining players in this age range.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Dan Gendur
Patrick White
Cody Hodgson
Jordan Schroeder
Yann Sauve
Sergei Shirokov
Alexandre Mallet
Anton Rodin
etc.

Wasted years of following them. I rather get the person who is ready right now and put up amazing numbers in the Ahl. Thanks.

tiny103

Jun 28, 2008
Ottawa
I think it's quite the opposite actually, he was selected as one of the best Dmen in the tournament if I remember correctly.

He scored a bunch on a relatively offence only team. When the game mattered he wasn't really around.

Most of Canada's dmen were far better. They had to give Sweden something.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
I wonder if they'll give Clendening a shot with Hamhuis. I wouldn't be surprised to see him there as a pairing to help push the puck up the ice, but yet have Hamhuis by his side to help steady the pairing.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Clendening
Stanton - Corrado

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
**** off. Seriously. We draft what looks like a late round gem, something rarely done by this organization, and boom, they trade him.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Value is fine I guess, but I kind of disagree with the direction the team seems to be going. Swapping picks and 18 year olds for 22-23 year old AHL players that are coming up on waiver eligibility and that other teams aren't interested in developing any more reeks of impatience to me.

Given the Canucks current situation of entering a rebuild, I'd personally value younger assets over older ones. A guy like Clendening will be UFA age by the time the Canucks will likely have a shot at being dangerous again.

This sums up my feelings pretty nicely.

Plus I got attached to Forsling :(

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Benning explicitly said they won't trade A grade prospects.. Clearly he feels forsling isn't one.

A prospects are mcann , virtanen , demko, shinkaruk possibly Jensen... He's more of a b prospect though

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Funny how short everyones WJC memory is though, Clendening was an awesome pp qb for the states in 08-09

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010

Benning seems to be trading prospects for guys who are further into their development. Vey and Clendening are both young guys who are very close to making their teams but Hawks and Kings all already too full on their rosters and have other prospects they feel are more promising. so, they trade to get younger.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Clendening will need waivers next season. So you'll likely see him as a regular next year and maybe this year too. CHI has Rundblad, TVR, Johns, Pokka as RS defence already. Clendening just wasn't going to be handed a roster spot with CHI. This deal is like the Vey trade.

May 31, 2006
****, I really liked Forsling. Chicago probably scouted him as a promising prospect and sold high on Clendening.

2014 draft looks even worse now.

Yossarian54

Oct 12, 2011
Perth, WA

The thing is the age spread though. We can stock up on a bunch of 18/19 year old guys and then we're sitting on our crossed fingers waiting for them to all hit the NHL. Then when they do we've got a bunch of 21-22 year olds and everyone else is 33-35 and about to retire.

This way we've got a few guys (Vey, Clendening, Corrado, hopefully Kassian) who have figured out their game and are starting to come into their prime as the high picks like Virtanen and co come in. It's a nice mix of vets, kids and the middle. Otherwise you might risk an Edmonton-like (not as bad obviously) scenario where you're hoping that 20 year old kids can step right in an carry your team.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I like this move, because Forsling would likely be no further along than Clendenning right now at 22, and from what I've read of him is far more of a wild card. Whereas Clendenning seems like he will be able to challenge for an NHL roster spot now, or at very lest next training camp.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
For people who wanna panic.

Clendening put up 60 points in the AHL, yes the AHL not junior, this kid has upside.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Clendening is also a PMD defenceman who can be a PPQB and can produce offence. It's what we sorely lack.

Spectrefire

Jan 3, 2013
**** off. Seriously. We draft what looks like a late round gem, something rarely done by this organization, and boom, they trade him.

Hutton and Corrado were both drafted late in the draft and both are still better prospects than Forsling...

****, I really liked Forsling. Chicago probably scouted him as a promising prospect and sold high on Clendening.

You do realize we walked out of that draft with Virtanen, McCan and Demko right? Hell, it's one of the best drafts we've had.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver

I like the skill set though. Much rather have him on the ice than a guy like Sbisa.
I agree, I think value is fine here.

I have been a supporter of Forsling and had him highly rated prior to the draft. Sad to see him go. But on the flip side, I also really liked Clendening for the early 2nd in 2011. Solid PMD, an average skater, but he can move the puck well and can make some beauty passes, really nice vision.

Here is a good 2011 draft blog; several write ups about Clendening.http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot.ca/search/label/Adam Clendening

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Actually, that's what we did with Forsling. Canucks were probably interested in doing such a deal, not CHI because they probably scouted him. What makes me say this? The Boston rumors. 59 points in 74 AHL games looks really good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad