Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Seth Jones signs extension with the Blackhawks (8 years, $9.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
With a flat cap , and 2 years before his contract expires I wouldn't be so sure about him getting a 4 or 5 year term or more than Hymen . I could see depending on various factors a 2 year deal but 4 or 5 and a flat cap nope don't see it. Maybe a team who has cap space and is a bona-fide contender Kane might go for less money.

Alex Ovechkin is about to turn 36 and is expected to sign a 4 year deal at 10 million AAV.

Do you really expect Kane to sign for 4 million and make less than Hymen?

He is getting PAID

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
Let’s put it this way: Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen was backed into a corner by the mere fact that Seth Jones had a very, very short list of teams he would be willing to sign an extension with.
And Chicago definitely topped the list.
The Flyers were hoping to land Jones but once they realized he wouldn’t extend with them, Philadelphia pivoted and traded for Ellis instead.
The Habs kicked the tires on Jones after the gravity of Shea Weber’s injury situation became clear, but that ship quickly sailed once Montreal also found out they weren’t a place Jones would sign.
And there were other teams in the same boat who realized they couldn’t get Jones extended.

LeBrun: Hurricanes' negotiations with Dougie Hamilton, Kraken prepared for big free agency, Flyers shake up roster – The Athletic

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
First game with the Hawks and carried on right where he left off, being a total disaster. This is going to be quite the contract. Kekäläinen is a marketing genius.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Jesus Christ, Jones had a 32% CF% while getting 70% offensive zone starts yesterday. Overall shot attempt differential of 17-35 in 22 minutes at ES. That's an atrocious game, that's Jack Johnson level bad.

I am convinced that individual stats are influenced by team situation ( TOI, partner, quality of goaltending and coaching) far greater that what our current analytics would lead us to believe

It will be very interesting to compare Seth Jones to Duncan Keith at the end of this year. According to analytics guys, Kieth was one of the 3 or 4 worst dmen in the league last year. Well, he has looked very good so far this year. He did not change, his situation changed

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
The skaeb
Jesus Christ, Jones had a 32% CF% while getting 70% offensive zone starts yesterday. Overall shot attempt differential of 17-35 in 22 minutes at ES. That's an atrocious game, that's Jack Johnson level bad.
The same JJ who scored, was a plus player and was not a liability???

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I am convinced that individual stats are influenced by team situation ( TOI, partner, quality of goaltending and coaching) far greater that what our current analytics would lead us to believe

It will be very interesting to compare Seth Jones to Duncan Keith at the end of this year. According to analytics guys, Kieth was one of the 3 or 4 worst dmen in the league last year. Well, he has looked very good so far this year. He did not change, his situation changed

I'll add that adv stats are for armchair coaches and gms that don't feel they have to watch the games to get a true sense.

Reactions: Njfj

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Jones was pretty good last night. Would help if he didn't have to play with CDH.
FBolrxLWUAAD0ds

Like hell he was. He was downright horrible.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I watched the whole game, the Hawks got f***ing smoked the first period and were outshot 18-2. Jones wasn't making egregious plays that were directly leading to scoring chances. Hockey is way too much of a luck and bounce sport that relies on a whole team that you can just pull up analytics of shots for and against, scoring chances for and against, and get the whole picture. In baseball, I live and die by analytics because its 1 on 1 controllable events over and over with tons of data.

I didn't like the contract the day it was signed, and didn't like how much we gave up in the trade, but Jones got smoked in the first period just like every single other Hawks player. After that, he was good and I thought he generated and exited the zone fine. I'm still not a fan of the trade, but hockey analytics as a whole have a long way to go before you can pull them up after a game and feel good about what you're seeing.

Reactions: hn777 and Viqsi

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Lol, yeah this contract will be Seabrook 2.0 in the not too distant future. Hawks have gone from the best run franchise in the league to one of the worst. Shame that the HoF careers of 3-4 players were wasted like this the last 6 years. As soon as you gave "loyalty" contracts to people like Seabrook and Bickell, it spelled doom for the Dynasty. Tragic to see, should have been at least 5 Cups the last 10 years and I can guarantee you that no team with Seth Jones as a centerpiece on defence will ever win a Stanley Cup. Incompetence and nepotism are the hallmarks of this org right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad