Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Jesus, if your crying over Donato, I don't know what to tell you. The Bruins are stock full of players like Donato. Not sure why we can't trade one for something we are way short of, specifically , players like Coyle who in spite of his short comings , brings some sorely lacking size ( watch when the PO's roll around) an ability to protect the puck.

Did you not see how Donato was punked by Tampa in last years PO's? Do you think that's going to happen to Coyle? Do you think Tyler Johnson is going to run the Table on Coyle the way he did with Donato last year? After all this your argument is that we lost a 4th round pick, are you trolling us or what?

The crying about Donato is getting old already, but there are no prospects in the system like him. He was by far the best forward prospect we had.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Coyle had a good game. He doesn't hurt you. Again, if you're not scoring, the next best thing is to keep the puck in the opponents end most of the time and he is doing that. When they are completely healthy you will see him put up some points with a better linemate or two.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I don't think he's completely come into his own yet but he's shown some good signs. I'm not really concerned about the points yet. We didn't get him for the regular season.

Donato is a good player but he wouldn't be on the roster now and he wouldn't in the playoffs. He will succeed and I'm perfectly ok with that. For as good of a team as we have, our core is still pretty old. They're all having career years, except Chara of course, but he's playing phenomenally for his age. Our window is pretty short and it's the last chance some of these guys will have. We didn't lose in the playoffs last year because our top talent sucked. We lost because we didn't have any depth and Coyle brings that.

Best case scenario this is a Wheeler-Peverley trade. Wheeler went on to be a fantastic player but we don't win the Cup without Pevs. You do that trade every day of the week.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The crying about Donato is getting old already, but there are no prospects in the system like him. He was by far the best forward prospect we had.
Um................That’s your opinion. I believe Andy Bjork is better. His only negative is his unlucky injury history which has nothing to do with his extraordinary talent.

Here’s hoping that shoulder has been fixed so he can show us what he can do come training camp.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Not a great game by Coyle. Glad to see him get an assist, but I’m starting to have some questions about his hockey IQ and where/when he chooses to shoot the puck. He puts himself in position where a lot of guys would at least get a more dangerous shot he usually sinks it right in the gut of the goalie or gets it blocked.

blue

Aug 14, 2005
Montreal
From the limited play I have seen, Anders Bjork is a similar player and, if he stays healthy, may end being a better player then Donato. Bigger, faster, and more creative. Does, not have the release of Donato, but a decent shot.

Reactions: Estlin

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Um................That’s your opinion. I believe Andy Bjork is better. His only negative is his unlucky injury history which has nothing to do with his extraordinary talent.

Here’s hoping that shoulder has been fixed so he can show us what he can do come training camp.

Yeah he's not the goal scorer Donato can be IMO. I do like his all around game better and think he could be a 3RW for us.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
From the limited play I have seen, Anders Bjork is a similar player and, if he stays healthy, may end being a better player then Donato. Bigger, faster, and more creative. Does, not have the release of Donato, but a decent shot.

Bjork has only scored goals one season in his entire hockey career, I think he will be limited in that area, but all around he could be a better player.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Bjork has only scored goals one season in his entire hockey career, I think he will be limited in that area, but all around he could be a better player.

He's scored at a pretty decent clip in the AHL. Just terrible luck with injuries. He can definitely make himself useful for the Bruins more easily, since he was drafted as a more of a two-way player who later developed offensive game. I don't think he'd look out of place on the 4th line.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
He's scored at a pretty decent clip in the AHL. Just terrible luck with injuries. He can definitely make himself useful for the Bruins more easily, since he was drafted as a more of a two-way player who later developed offensive game. I don't think he'd look out of place on the 4th line.
Too much offensive skill and creativity to relegate him to fourth line duty.

But, getting back to Coyle, let’s hope his point last night sets him off on a tear to finish up the season and on to the playoffs. Get the monkeys off his back.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

eh, 3 goals in 22 games isn't exciting. Hopefully his best hockey is in front of him. Speed and smarts, would be an asset on the big club IMO

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Part of Bjork's issue with injuries may be hockey sense and leaving himself open to big hits. I remember reading that about him. He hasn't shown enough yet for me to believe that he can put it all together. The injuries have been brutal.

I think Coyle brings value when the lineup is deep and stacked. He has another full year to show what he is. Minnesota got a good player too but you have to give to get.

Reactions: LouJersey

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Last night was the perfect opportunity to put him at rw with krejci .. guys puck possesion has been fantastic .. should easily have about four assists by now.. i get it , i miss donato. for all his flaws he was a goal scorer. the b's need that would much rather have done jfk and a much higher pick but oh well . still really happy with the coyle pick up

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Well time will tell but let's just say we aren't seeing the same thing. While no two players are identical there are a bunch like JFK, Bjork, Donato when he was here who brought the same things. Nobody was at all similar to what Coyle brings. I wish Donato luck, not bitter at all but I feel Coyle is a better fit and brings an element that was sorely missing on this team.

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'll take the minority view. I don't miss Donato at all. Thought he was always a step behind and didn't make anyone else better. Might finish better than Coyle for sure, but I take Coyle all day in that trade. His points will come...he's otherwise a beast out there.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I look at it this way- points from Coyle right now would be a bonus. For me it is enough that he has completely changed the dynamics of that third line- they don't spend their entire shift in their own end praying nobody turns the puck over. That line was a complete black hole until he arrived. I think if he had some wingers with a little more offensive touch you'd see more scoring, but that's not going to happen with his present wingers. I love David Backes, his hands are still fairly decent but he just can't keep up with the play & get himself into position to attempt a shot. Cehlarik is still struggling to adjust to the NHL game IMO, one shift he looks really good and the next one...not so good. I'm glad we've got Coyle for another season, he's a much better 3C than JFK or Frederic are right now.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I'll take the minority view. I don't miss Donato at all. Thought he was always a step behind and didn't make anyone else better. Might finish better than Coyle for sure, but I take Coyle all day in that trade. His points will come...he's otherwise a beast out there.

Yeah I don't understand people who think he's awful, not good, doesn't give an effort, yada yada yada. The only thing Coyle hasn't given the Bruins is production. Everything else has been good.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Yeah I don't understand people who think he's awful, not good, doesn't give an effort, yada yada yada. The only thing Coyle hasn't given the Bruins is production. Everything else has been good.

Well third lines aren't traditionally for scoring although it certainly helps. Coyle is a damn good center when it comes to face offs and puck possession- and if your line is not scoring you need to do this to keep the puck away from your opponent, which is just what his line is doing.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I'll be honest, I've found Coyle to be quite noticeable in a GOOD way. He seems to always have the puck on his stick, and outside of Marchand, might have the best puck possession skills on the team (strictly to the eyes - not sure what the data would show). Give him some better line mates and he will start putting up some points.

I'd like him to be a little nastier, but that's never really been his game so I guess I can't expect it now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

I like Bjork better as well but having a second consecutive season end in January is a serious red flag. I don't know what caused it but last year it was a pretty light love tap that knocked him out for the year.

It pisses me off that Bjork has barely played for Providence despite not being good enough for Boston. He should have 100 AHL games under his belt and he has 20 something.

I don't think Donato was going to get 'it' here anytime soon. He wasn't gonna help the 2018/2019 Bruins win playoff games. We did him a favor trading him and I think he made some changes mentally after getting traded to instantly turn into something he wasn't here. Nothing motivates guys like getting dealt.

One of this teams problems off the ice is the fact that nearly everyone has an NMC and is a career Bruin.

Our forward prospects are in rough shape right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad