Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Floaters don’t have the puck as often as he does. I thought he was meh tonight but overall has been a solid addition for the team

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not sure how anyone can justify the trade at this point. I didn't like Donato one bit, but at least he could use his small size for floating.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'm not sure how anyone can justify the trade at this point. I didn't like Donato one bit, but at least he could use his small size for floating.

Donato wasnt going to pan out here

But Coyle has done nothing to help with secondary scoring needs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
.....that’s because he’s been playing with statistically two of the worst offensive players in the league on a 5 on 5 ppm basis. They were able to start rolling every line once they got him before Debrusk and Mojo went down. And they looked beastly as a team as a result

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Legitimate question ... Does Coyle will have time to score a goal in Bruins uniform ?
After all he still have only 1 year and 12 games to his contract...we will see

The scary part is I don't remember any real good chances he has had to bury one...real scary

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Coyle is not a goal scorer to a fault. Expecting them is expecting too much. He can produce points with talent around him, but he will never be a good goal scorer.

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Coyle is not a goal scorer to a fault. Expecting them is expecting too much. He can produce points with talent around him, but he will never be a good goal scorer.
But it would be fair to say that we expected more than 1 assist after his first 9 games

Reactions: TCB

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
If he had some wingers who could score yes. He could probably have 2-3 more points.

Even his one assist was just getting a loose puck back to Moore and it going in.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If he had some wingers who could score yes. He could probably have 2-3 more points.

Even his one assist was just getting a loose puck back to Moore and it going in.

I'm starting to disagree

Backes for example played a strong game on the 1st line (Coyle even had a chance there a few games ago and looked out of place)

Maybe the issue still is a lack of a good 3c

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Nordstrom and Backes have each missed wide open cages for him iirc

3 points in 9 games isn’t exactly world beating Either but it’s definitely better than what they’ve been getting from that 3C spot and it would only improve as his linemates improve as well

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I'm starting to disagree

Backes for example played a strong game on the 1st line (Coyle even had a chance there a few games ago and looked out of place)

....no I think the issue is that Nordstrom and Backes are quite literally two of the worst 5 on 5 scorers in the league. I’m not joking. Look it up.

Reactions: kjpm and JCRO

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
....no I think the issue is that Nordstrom and Backes are quite literally two of the worst 5 on 5 scorers in the league. I’m not joking. Look it up.

I do agree

But Backes did play well tonight on the Bergeron line

(Actually he should get another run on that line and drop Heinen with Krejci next game)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Who were his last line mates in Minnesota when he started this drought?

Most commonly Parise-Kunin-Coyle or Greenway-Staal-Coyle.

Coyle issue seems like a lack of killer instinct

It's painful to watch a big guy like him waste his size by simply floating every game.

My biggest frustration stems from this. 6’3”, 220lbs with good hands? Easily a top-6 forward, right? ... If only he used his size! Coyle was a 1st/2nd line staple for a couple years because of his high potential. Those years were when he had his 40 and 50 point seasons, respectively. After 7 seasons, I think it finally became clear he’d never become a top-6 powerforward we hoped to obtain from the Brent Burns trade.

He seems like a good fit on your 3rd line as a shut-down center or RW, putting up 30-35 points per season.

Reactions: Dr Hook

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I'm starting to disagree

Nope.

It’s literally what CDJ said.

He’s constantly playin with two of the worst 5 on 5 players in the league.

You’re pointing out that he had a game (not even) on the first line and looked “out of place.” How is that fair? He’s also had two games now with Krejci... but the majority of it has been with Backes the anchor and stone hands Nordstrom.

Can we PLEASE be patient and wait for this team to get healthy and get him some decent linemates to play with before we throw this guy overboard? Hell, I didn’t even like the trade and I’m more understanding and patient with him then people who did like the trade!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Nope.

It’s literally what CDJ said.

He’s constantly playin with two of the worst 5 on 5 players in the league.

You’re pointing out that he had a game (not even) on the first line and looked “out of place.” How is that fair? He’s also had two games now with Krejci... but the majority of it has been with Backes the anchor and stone hands Nordstrom.

Can we PLEASE be patient and wait for this team to get healthy and get him some decent linemates to play with before we throw this guy overboard? Hell, I didn’t even like the trade and I’m more understanding and patient with him then people who did like the trade!

How did he look tonight playing alongside Krejci?

I'm not throwing him overboard

He has the look of an NHL player plus some extra

but something that binds it all together seems like is missing

Not mad regarding the Donato trade because he was not likely going to get a shot here also

Just not going to set much expectation on Coyle moving fwd. Hope he succeeds here

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Coyle was an upgrade on our third line, but we need players back from injury.

Coyle isn't a guy who's going to carry a line. He would be a top 6 guy if he was.

He can be effective, but he needs 2 legit Stanley cup contender level 3rd line players. Backes/Nordstrom/Cehlarik/Frederic etc ain't it. Bergeron and Krejci have trouble when anchored with those guys.

He individually can be better. But he needs help. Hopefully with Debrusk/Pastrnak/Johansson back, he gets at least 1 actual top 9 guy to play with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad