Player Discussion Charlie Coyle

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
He reminds me of Carl Soderberg without the offensive acumen or the radar. Everyone hates me opinion but I’ve always felt Coyle was a JAG with no real upside since his first couple of seasons.

Krejci is still in need of a RW as of today. Coyle is a veteran and could help that line move the puck in the offensive zone. Maybe they'll try that

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
So you're basing it a longterm "L" because of 8 games from Donato?

Long term IMO it projects to be a L. If you disagree thats fine. As I said before if Coyle makes noise in the playoffs and they go far it's worth it for a cup run even though that cost will be argued in the future I'm sure

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
How about analyzing the guy's play when he (No offense to either of these gentlemen) actually plays with decent scoring wingers, and not Backes or Nords on a regular basis? And not just for one game, but at least 10 or 20 in a row with decent scoring wingers?

Donato on that line right now would be literally worse. Donato has everything working towards his advantage right now. Coyle is being handcuffed.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
How about analyzing the guy's play when he (No offense to either of these gentlemen) actually plays with decent scoring wingers, and not Backes or Nords on a regular basis? And not just for one game, but at least 10 or 20 in a row with decent scoring wingers?

Donato on that line right now would be literally worse. Donato has everything working towards his advantage right now. Coyle is being handcuffed.

It's like the 34 games he played for the Bruins this year where he did nothing evaporated.

Reactions: BMC and Chief Nine

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
He reminds me of Carl Soderberg without the offensive acumen or the radar. Everyone hates me opinion but I’ve always felt Coyle was a JAG with no real upside since his first couple of seasons.

A lot of people have said that, including some Wild fans, but for me..

I see a guy who just is a possession beast, creates chances, skates well and battles. He's not Bergeron, but he's more than capable. The deal was a fair one short term, we are trying to win now and I love Donato, but he didn't figure in for this season. Sometimes that bites you in the ass and sometimes it doesn't, but I am not going to hold it against a GM when he tries to win, unless it's something totally ridiculous.

If you get a 40 point 3rd line center who controls the play like Coyle does, you have done a pretty good job IMO.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It's like the 34 games he played for the Bruins this year where he did nothing evaporated.

Coyle is a veteran who was a 28 point player with Minnesota before they traded him. I think most fans know he won't produce as much on the 3rd line but hes been around a while so its not a secret the player he is.

If he can be an asset in the playoffs that would be ideal. Its what he was traded for

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
The eye test for Coyle shows that he took a completely anemic 3rd line and made them NHL caliber. They have been light years better than the mess that has been out there all season and is much less of a liability. They actually cycle pretty well in the offensive zone and are creating chances which the 3rd line didn't do for most of the year. The numbers will come. He makes the team better even if it isn't on the scoresheet as it opens up time and space for the other lines to get it going. I'm happy for Donato in Minny, and I'm happy with Coyle here so far. Win Win trades are good as they help build relationships between teams for future trades.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If he can be an asset in the playoffs that would be ideal. Its what he was traded for

I’d argue he’s already been an asset. He hasn’t made the scoresheet, granted, but we’ve finally got a third line that is viable in the playoffs.

That shift they put in, late in the 3rd period last night, to draw the tripping penalty, being a perfect example.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
It looks like the Wild staff has tapped into Ryan’s skill set and found a way to integrate that into its system.

Hoping for good things (except vs Bs) in the future for a good Boston kid.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
If Donato was doing half of what he's doing in Minnesota, he'd still be here. I'm glad he's having success. Coyle is playing well. He's just not getting the points.
Sometimes you need a wake up call and a change of scenery to get focused. I’m sure the trade pissed him off a little and it lit a fire in the kid. Good for him.
I’m glad he’s doing well in Minnesota and hope he has a long and successful NHL career.

Do I regret the trade or want him back?

Not for one second.....

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Sometimes you need a wake up call and a change of scenery to get focused. I’m sure the trade pissed him off a little and it lit a fire in the kid. Good for him.
I’m glad he’s doing well in Minnesota and hope he has a long and successful NHL career.

Do I regret the trade or want him back?

Not for one second.....

Indeed he would still be in Providence here. Seems like he needed wake up call as you say.

I think ??? with Coyle and Backes is going to win a playoff series for us. If the ??? is not Nordstrom/4th liner role players.

Reactions: LouJersey

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
My first ticket of the day from the negativity police. I'm just talking the trade. Relax

Negativity police? That's rich. If there were such a force here you'd have a life sentence . And you're not talking the trade, you're peeing on it like everything else, but relax :laugh:

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
The way I see this trade, even if you want to put it in a negative light, I have to ask myself one question:

Would Trent Frederic or JFK be doing any better out there? If the answer is no, and it's the trade deadline, you have to accept that to make that fifth line into a third line, something's gonna have to give. For all we know, Sweeney tried to give up somebody like Celharik instead, and Minnesota told them that's not good enough, so he had to give up Donato.

We don't really know how the trade went on behind closed doors. I doubt Sweeney wanted to just throw Donato at anybody. And Coyle was worth it for what he's doing right now. Donato would probably not have been with this team even if he'd made it through this season anyway.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
i said my opinion. I have no interest in whatever youre mad about today.

Lol I'm am a million miles away from mad, I just love seeing your posts, they remind me of this guy

open-uri20150422-20810-11ej849_779819a7.jpeg

Reactions: BMC

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
This trade makes sense from the Bruin's perspective. Coyle's game will help them in the playoffs. He is strong along the boards, he is a tremendous forechecker and is excellent at puck possession and cycling the puck down low. Not only that, but he is a great teammate and overall awesome guy. Everybody in the locker room will love him.

But if you are waiting for him to add scoring to his repertoire, then you'll need to get in line...and the line is long. He's been teasing Wild fans for 7 seasons with his potential. And it's not like he hasn't played with good wingers here. There wasn't a line combination that wasn't tried, from top line center to 4th line winger and everything in between. He might go on a 3-4 game stretch where he'll get you 4-5 points, but then he'll disappear for 12-15 games with goose eggs on the score sheet. The problem as I see it is that he just doesn't have that scorer's mentality. He just wants to defer and make the extra pass instead of putting a shot on net. I've literally seen him with the puck on his stick in front of an open net make that extra pass and lose out on an easy scoring opportunity...it will make you want to pull your hair out.

Coyle and Donato are like inverse images of themselves....while Donato does have that shoot-first mentality, he is still physically weak and needs to improve his skating. He's also turns the puck over a little too frequently and is easily knocked down off his feet. He's still young and I think he can improve in those areas and really help the Wild in the long run. I get why the Bruins decided to move him for someone that can help this year instead of 3 years down the road.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Coyle is a veteran who was a 28 point player with Minnesota before they traded him. I think most fans know he won't produce as much on the 3rd line but hes been around a while so its not a secret the player he is.

Check out Coyle's possession stats vs Riley Nash last year. If he can continue that in the playoffs we are rep the east in the SC. The 3rd line has not only been an issue for awhile scoring but more of an issue was the chances they were giving up. If the Coyle line can control the play, keep it 180 feet from Rask that's a huge win for this team come play-off time.

I do agree with the premise he will have to chip in some goals at some point.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Check out Coyle's possession stats vs Riley Nash last year. If he can continue that in the playoffs we are rep the east in the SC. The 3rd line has not only been an issue for awhile scoring but more of an issue was the chances they were giving up. If the Coyle line can control the play, keep it 180 feet from Rask that's a huge win for this team come play-off time.

I do agree with the premise he will have to chip in some goals at some point.

Playoffs are a differnt game. He has the size and experience to make an impact on a talented forward group. All up to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad