Confirmed Trade: [CGY/OTT] Curtis Lazar and Mike Kostka for Jyrki Jokipakka and a 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I like it for both teams. Calgary buying low on a guy that missed training camp and is having a bad year and all it cost them was a 2nd rounder in a weak draft. Jokkipakka and Kostka are pretty much a wash

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
2nd in a weak draft and a piece no one would take for free for potential. Sounds great to me, don't know why we're catching all this hate. Is there even a single player in the second round this year putting up a fraction of lazar's junior numbers?

He's one of the most under valued guys on HF. Get used to it, we sens fans have been hearing about it for about a year and a half now.. Some guys saying they wouldn't even give up a 4th for him LOL

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
He's one of the most under valued guys on HF. Get used to it, we sens fans have been hearing about it for about a year and a half now.. Some guys saying they wouldn't even give up a 4th for him LOL

Trevling taken to the woodshed on this one. Jokki has more points on the season than the forward expected to score.
Nice to see someone other than Benning making terrible trades for waiver eligible players.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Happy he's a young RHS so Treliving doesn't try another Calgary and area reclamation project. Galliardi, Setoguchi, and Raymond were bad and were bad ideas. If he pushes Chiasson out of the line up this is already a win.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Lazar expansion-draft eligible, and waiver-eligible next season?...if so, lots of ways the Flames could lose him.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Apart from being an offensive black hole, Lazar is a possession drag.

replacements-1617-OTT-lazarcu95-shots.png

Basically, almost every teammate does better without him and much worse with him. This is painful to look at and he might legitimately be the worst forward in the NHL

I might buy that if Chiasson with the Sens didn't have terrible analytics, only to have some of the better analytics with us.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Is Lazar expansion-draft eligible, and waiver-eligible next season?...if so, lots of ways the Flames could lose him.

He's both now. 178 GP and 3 pro seasons. He's an awful asset to pay a 2nd for. Reminds me of a worse Granlund deal.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
He's both now. 178 GP and 3 pro seasons. He's an awful asset to pay a 2nd for. Reminds me of a worse Granlund deal.

except Granlund didn't have 1 assist in 33 games lol

like how the heck do you not get accidental assists in 33 games? AHL call ups have put up more points in limited games than Lazar :laugh:

weak draft or not ill take my chances to pick the player i want in the 2nd round than a work on a project like Lazar.

his junior numbers weren't that great either.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Maybe Lazar will come in and injure one of the Flames at practice for payback lol.

Again, he will be playing with better players than he did before. And he basically admitted this is his last shot.

The odds of a 2nd rounder being an impact player in any draft, weak or not, is no more or less than Lazar having an impact with Calgary.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

More like the Baertschi deal....Canucks had to keep him in the NHL or risk losing him on waivers.....patience paid off I guess, but not sure all the patience in the world is going to help Lazar....but if he flops, he can still be sent to Stockton and will likely clear.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Better is pretty relative though.

Nope.

Chiasson on Ottawa 2015-16 - 43.63 CF% (SZVA), -3.90 CF%.Rel (SZVA)
Chiasson on Calgary 2016-17 - 51.03 CF% (SZVA), 0.36 CF%.Rel (SZVA)

These are two very different pictures being painted of the same player. If Lazar can have a similar improvement I am all for it.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Wouldn't Jokipakka be more suited to be called George (English version of Jyrki) than Kevin? #food4thought

Dunno. Apparently there's a Starbucks story behind "Kevin". IMO, Jack would have been just as reasonable. Kevin was out of left field for sure.

It's funny, when the rumours of Burrows to Ottawa was made public, a lot of flame fans were hoping it would be for Lazar cause he's a bust. Now they are saying Lazar is a project and could be a steal lmao :laugh:

Which ones? I've personally be interested in a Poirier+ swap for Lazar.

i remember calgary fans saying Granlund and Beartschi will never amount to anything despite having better stats in the NHL than Lazar at that time. What's special about Lazar? :sarcasm:

Huh? I think the consensus was top 6 or bust. They would have not survived on our bottom 6. It was a win win trade. Many fans agree. But I guess some people have to have a winner and loser.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
except Granlund didn't have 1 assist in 33 games lol

like how the heck do you not get accidental assists in 33 games? AHL call ups have put up more points in limited games than Lazar :laugh:

weak draft or not ill take my chances to pick the player i want in the 2nd round than a work on a project like Lazar.

his junior numbers weren't that great either.

Sure, in the last 11 yrs the best 2nd rounder the Canuck had was a guy named Anton Rodin with 8 games and no point.

So yeah go ahead and take your chance....I am sure the Flames will get more than 8 games from Lazar and he may score a point this week :laugh:

Anyway, I am glad this trade bring some joy to Nucks fans who are having a miserable time with their pathetic team

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Sure, in the last 11 yrs the best 2nd rounder the Canuck had was a guy named Anton Rodin with 8 games and no point.

So yeah go ahead and take your chance....I am sure the Flames will get more than 8 games from Lazar and he may score a point this week :laugh:

Anyway, I am glad this trade bring some joy to Nucks fans who are having a miserable time with their pathetic team

Anton Rodin was never given the chance under the previous management.

so he went to the SEL and dominated. JB signed him just last summer.

He was having a great training camp before he injured his knee. 2 goals 1 assist i believe in 3 games.

since his return he got an assist playing limited ice time in 3 games before re-injuring his knee.

so if were going to count the pre-season, Rodin has 4 points in 6 games playing in NA.

We cannot judge Rodin until he plays a full season, but by the small sample size he's already superior to Mr. 1 assist man Lazar. :laugh:

oh and let's not forget Demko (a 2nd round pick) don't you guys need a goaltender? :sarcasm:

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
More like the Baertschi deal....Canucks had to keep him in the NHL or risk losing him on waivers.....patience paid off I guess, but not sure all the patience in the world is going to help Lazar....but if he flops, he can still be sent to Stockton and will likely clear.

Granlund was quickly coming up in waiver status when the Canucks dealt for him, which is why it was so heavily criticized. Trading a player with another full season of waiver exemption for a player who would be waiver eligible the following season.
Sven had put up multiple seasons of decent production when called up. Never went 33 games with 1 assist only like Lazar when already waiver eligible. Also Sven has clearly displayed offensive skill in every league he's been in, while Granlund was always seen as a depth forward, adequate defensively while minimal offensive potential.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
It's pretty disgusting that TSN was focusing a lot on Lazar, a former World Junior Star who has fallen dramatically. Why should Lazar get that much attention from media, even though he is a fourth liner now? Just goes to show TSN bias towards those who have starred in World Juniors, even though some may be crapping the bed in the NHL such as Lazar and Anthony Duclair. Just goes to show that WJC coaching staffs are NOT the best evaluators of NHL talent.

That said, I wish Curtis all the best in Cowtown.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's pretty disgusting that TSN was focusing a lot on Lazar, a former World Junior Star who has fallen dramatically. Why should Lazar get that much attention from media, even though he is a fourth liner now? Just goes to show TSN bias towards those who have starred in World Juniors, even though some may be crapping the bed in the NHL such as Lazar and Anthony Duclair. Just goes to show that WJC coaching staffs are NOT the best evaluators of NHL talent.

That said, I wish Curtis all the best in Cowtown.

Well the WJC is a short tournament so no shock they aren't projecting NHL careers.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
We cannot judge Rodin until he plays a full season, but by the small sample size he's already superior to Mr. 1 assist man Lazar. :laugh:

I am not sure why you are so obsessed with Lazar while you have your own 1 assist man in Virtanen.

Lazar >>>>>>>>>>>>> Virtanen

At least he can develop into something useful even if he is not scoring

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I am not sure why you are so obsessed with Lazar while you have your own 1 assist man in Virtanen.

Lazar >>>>>>>>>>>>> Virtanen
At least he can develop into something useful even if he is not scoring

how am i obsessed?

Virtanen had 10 games playing with Superstars like Skille and Dorsett averaging 5-6 mins a game.. and WD is an idiot who probably has a personal grudge against him and a love affair with Megna.

and still manage to get a point in less games than Lazar :laugh:

but ya Lazar>>>>>>Virtanen

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad