Confirmed Trade: [CGY/OTT] Curtis Lazar and Mike Kostka for Jyrki Jokipakka and a 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think any Flames fans are considering this a steal. But he fills a need; he's young, he's a right hander, and despite what ppl say, at 21 there is still hope for him in the NHL. I'm fine with it.

If Lazar finds his game its absolutely going to end up being a steal.

Who knows tho, I'd be surprised if he doesn't find his game and end up being a solid fourth liner at the very least. The guy has all the character in the world, probably just doubting himself in a serious way right now.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
He averaged 20 points for his first two years where he was a 19/20 year old at the start of the season. He looked very very good during that Hamburglar run when Dave Cameron took over as head coach so it wouldn't surprise me if Dave Cameron has a high opinion on what Lazar might be capable of based on that run. He had mono in the off season and the Sens installed a new coach with a new system that was supposed to take months for the veterans to perfect which is why a segment of Sens fans don't think this year is reflective of what Lazar can do.

He also should evolve into a good leader off the ice. He has a rep for that.

If I'm a Flames fan, I wouldn't think that they made the steal of the century, but I'd be pretty happy to get Lazar for that pick. He's not going to be a top 6 player, nobody is trying to say that. But there's a good chance he could bounce back into a 20-30 point high motor third liner who ends up wearing a patch on his chest one day. This isn't a Yakupov situation where the player is a top 6 or bust type guy. Lazar's skillset is one that if his offensive doesn't translate from Junior to the NHL (which it hasn't) he still has all the tools to be a solid bottom 6 guy which is something teams need.

I don't think Ottawa would trade him if he could be sent to the AHL. They started him in the AHL this year but called him up after some injuries caused them to need players. He had a really good first game back and at that point the Sens weren't as secure as they are in now (even now they aren't secure) so it made sense for them to keep him up. But his play quickly declined and Guy Boucher didn't trust him enough to play him more than a few minutes a game. In Lazar's defense, he was playing with Kelly and Neil. In retrospect, allowing Lazar to play past his waiver date was a bit of a bone headed move but that's life.

Interesting analysis. I certainly don't have top 6 expectations for Lazar and I doubt the Flames' executives do either. But even if he becomes a full time NHLer who plays a hard working 10-12 minutes a game who can add some grit, then I would say the 2nd is worth it as 2nd's aren't guaranteed NHLers anyway.

This transaction certainly reminds me of the Sven Baertschi trade. The Flames received a 2nd round pick from the Canucks and that apparently was the best offer by far. Now Baertschi is playing in a top 6 role and he has certainly proved to be better than the majority of offers he was garnering.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I have been a huge fan of Treliving's work but I just don't understand what he expects to get out of this trade. A head scratcher for sure. Sucks because it somewhat lets Dorion off the hook for that horrific Dahlen trade

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Move was probably made so Sens could protect another player in expansion draft. With White and Brown in the coffers Lazar whom I like but he doesn't have the upside of those other 2, it made him expendable.

Decent return and better strategic move for Ottawa. Pick and prospect fill both needs. And Maybe Lazar can thrive in Calgary.

The Sens weren't even considering protecting Lazar regardless

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I have been a huge fan of Treliving's work but I just don't understand what he expects to get out of this trade. A head scratcher for sure. Sucks because it somewhat lets Dorion off the hook for that horrific Dahlen trade

The overrating of unknown assets around here is plain silly. Calgary clearly does not see value in the 2nd round of this draft and as such targeted a 22 year player with glowing character and pedigree that they believe will contribute to the organization for the foreseeable future.

The depth of this draft is non existent. It's reminiscent of the 13' and 14' drafts which in my opinion have yielded horrible results.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Are these now the 7 forwards Calgary expects to protect?
Monahan
Gaudreau
Bennett
Frolik
Backlund
Ferland
Lazar

Meaning one of Brouwer or Stajan are likely to be taken by Vegas?

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
If Lazar finds his game its absolutely going to end up being a steal.

Who knows tho, I'd be surprised if he doesn't find his game and end up being a solid fourth liner at the very least. The guy has all the character in the world, probably just doubting himself in a serious way right now.

All the character in the world can't give you a set of new hands or anything resembling hockey sense.

If he makes it, he'll be a good 3rd line grinder. I think I'd rather gamble with a 2nd personally. Much like I feel about Dahlen/Burrows...I'd rather gamble with Dahlen, but ah well.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
The overrating of unknown assets around here is plain silly. Calgary clearly does not see value in the 2nd round of this draft and as such targeted a 22 year player with glowing character and pedigree that they believe will contribute to the organization for the foreseeable future.

The depth of this draft is non existent. It's reminiscent of the 13' and 14' drafts which in my opinion have yielded horrible results.

I'm sure the draft is deep enough to grab a character guy who can score 0 goals per season.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I'm sure the draft is deep enough to grab a character guy who can score 0 goals per season.

We are talking about a kid who just turned 22 who missed the entirety of training camp due to mono that has only played 4 games this season with more than 12 minutes of icetime..

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Considering the Flames made a ton of picks last year (including 2 in the second round, where they got Dube and Parsons; who both are looking like great picks so far) I'm not too worried about losing out on a second.

During Treliving's presser he mentioned his scouts are projecting the talent they'd get where they were picking in the second, and it wasn't anything overly special. If Lazar turns out to be a heart/soul 30-35 point guy for the Flames, this is a trade you make every day of the week.

Considering it's a weak draft, I have no issues with this trade. Happy to get another age-appropriate piece.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think many expected him to level off as a 20/20 guy.

Agreed, looking back at some threads most seemed to believe he could become a good #2/#3 C in the mould of Mike Fisher, never once saw a 60 point captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad