Confirmed Trade: [CGY/OTT] Curtis Lazar and Mike Kostka for Jyrki Jokipakka and a 2nd

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Considering the Flames made a ton of picks last year (including 2 in the second round, where they got Dube and Parsons; who both are looking like great picks so far) I'm not too worried about losing out on a second.

During Treliving's presser he mentioned his scouts are projecting the talent they'd get where they were picking in the second, and it wasn't anything overly special. If Lazar turns out to be a heart/soul 30-35 point guy for the Flames, this is a trade you make every day of the week.

Considering it's a weak draft, I have no issues with this trade. Happy to get another age-appropriate piece.

The average 2nd rounder does not become an NHL regular. If we get a third liner of any kind, it's a victory.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
It's funny, when the rumours of Burrows to Ottawa was made public, a lot of flame fans were hoping it would be for Lazar cause he's a bust. Now they are saying Lazar is a project and could be a steal lmao :laugh:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Agreed, looking back at some threads most seemed to believe he could become a good #2/#3 C in the mould of Mike Fisher, never once saw a 60 point captain.

There are always a few homers out there.

Some posters like to fixate on them to make themselves feel smart.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Flames fan here.

Treliving said at his press conference that he is not acquiring Lazar for what he has done, but for his potential and what he can turn into. They have done a ton of homework on him and have scouts that are familiar with Lazar that were obviously comfortable making this trade. Yes he has struggled but he is still a young player that has some upside. Even if he becomes a third line player I will call that a success.

There is more of a chance of him becoming an effective NHL player than there is of a the 2nd rounder becoming the same.

People are quick to jude the trade and call it terrible for the Flames. Let's wait to see what a change of scenery can do for the former 1st round, memorial cup and WJ Gold winner.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Flames fan here.

Treliving said at his press conference that he is not acquiring Lazar for what he has done, but for his potential and what he can turn into. They have done a ton of homework on him and have scouts that are familiar with Lazar that were obviously comfortable making this trade. Yes he has struggled but he is still a young player that has some upside. Even if he becomes a third line player I will call that a success.

There is more of a chance of him becoming an effective NHL player than there is of a the 2nd rounder becoming the same.

People are quick to jude the trade and call it terrible for the Flames. Let's wait to see what a change of scenery can do for the former 1st round, memorial cup and WJ Gold winner.

plus imo he seems to be a good fit for the age and what calgary was lacking in their line up

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
March 15th will be a calendar year since Lazar has scored a goal.

Apart from being an offensive black hole, Lazar is a possession drag.

replacements-1617-OTT-lazarcu95-shots.png

Basically, almost every teammate does better without him and much worse with him. This is painful to look at and he might legitimately be the worst forward in the NHL

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Lazar has Jordan Schroeder written all over him. WJC success doesn't always translate to NHL success.

a 2nd round pick for a 4th liner :sarcasm:

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Flames fan here.

i remember calgary fans saying Granlund and Beartschi will never amount to anything despite having better stats in the NHL than Lazar at that time. What's special about Lazar? :sarcasm:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Apart from being an offensive black hole, Lazar is a possession drag.

replacements-1617-OTT-lazarcu95-shots.png

Basically, almost every teammate does better without him and much worse with him. This is painful to look at and he might legitimately be the worst forward in the NHL

He's in the bottom 5% of NHLers without a doubt.

The puck is a grenade on his stick.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Judging Lazar totally on this season is unfair. Its a universal rule if you miss training camp you have a down season.

Last year, he looked like a future good to great 3rd liner. This season hasn't changed that in my eyes. He just needed a change of scenery.

I think this trade was a win-win. Ottawa restocked their 2nd, and Calgary got a low risk young player cost controlled for many more years.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
i remember calgary fans saying Granlund and Beartschi will never amount to anything despite having better stats in the NHL than Lazar at that time. What's special about Lazar? :sarcasm:

Most flames fans didn't want to get rid of Baertschi for one and Granlund still kind of sucks he's shooting 16% and isn't even at 0.5 points per game. On top of that a lot of us aren't even fans of this trade, but at the same time we traded a 2nd it isn't the end of the world.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Lol, this is pretty much it. The player we take around #45 overall should have a (current) Lazar floor.

Good grief some of you guys turn on your players fast :laugh:
Wasn't long ago most of you guys were really high on this kid, going crazy with him eating burgers and getting fans going.

Never change HF.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Lazar never really looked that great at any level. Even when he played for the WJC, he played with McDavid and didn't set the tournament on fire despite it being over a year since his draft. He struggled in the AHL this year and struggled big time in the NHL.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
Most flames fans didn't want to get rid of Baertschi for one and Granlund still kind of sucks he's shooting 16% and isn't even at 0.5 points per game.

he's on pace for 20 goals this season playing mostly on the 3rd line :laugh:

Shinkaruk meanwhile is still in the AHL with 8 goals in 32 games. :popcorn:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I don't know too much about Ottawa's dealings with Lazar but the Baertchi comparison is an interesting one. Calgary had sent a lot of mixed messages and had Sven pretty frustrated in our system. Vancouver did well to trade a 2nd for a lot of potential in need of a new situation but the deal still worked out for Calgary as we simply weren't going to develop him to his potential.

I hope this becomes a similar situation where we can give Lazar a new set of leadership to develop him into a middle 6 scorer and Ottawa gets to start fresh with a good pick.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
HF is great for reading opinions then understanding the opposite is true. When Draft picks are worth more than Stanley Cups lol oh you clowns.

If a scouting staff says Lazar is better than anything they see in the 2nd round, you do it. I'm glad OTT fans are happy. And if Lazar off that roster makes them better, so be it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I like the move for the Flames. Little bit of risk with a some reward. He sounded really happy on his interview with the Fan960 to be coming to Calgary.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
2nd in a weak draft and a piece no one would take for free for potential. Sounds great to me, don't know why we're catching all this hate. Is there even a single player in the second round this year putting up a fraction of lazar's junior numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad