CFL 2024

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
AXING ELKS REBRAND SHOULD TOP THOMPSON’S TO-DO LISTGERRY MODDEJONGE [email protected] X.com: @GerryModdejonge

Edmonton Journal
Aug 15, 2024

Opening up old wounds carries some risk, but fans clearly yearn for return of Eskimos

Sure the Edmonton Elks are getting a new private owner, but will it just be a different standup comic delivering the same old punchline?

The team has become nothing short of a joke both on the field and off since the name change, dropping the old Eskimos moniker in July 2020.

Barely winning. Barely anyone showing up any more. Every decision a bad one that only seemed to compound the problem. Too many old white guys making up the fan base (yes, tragically, they actually complained about that at one point).

The punchline came when the Elks — in a display so far removed from the glory days of the Eskimos winning five

Grey Cups in a row it might as well have happened in another universe — failed to win in front of their home fans in a drought that spanned an unthinkable 1,415 days between victories at Commonwealth Stadium.

Most everyone who has the gumption to still call themselves Elks fans in public would like to forget how the team set a new North American professional sports record of 22 straight home losses. Twenty of those losses came right after the rebranding, leading to talk of a curse that lasted three years.

But the jokes didn’t end there. For the past two seasons, the

Elks have stumbled out of the gates to horrendous starts of 0-9 and 0-7, respectively, generating snickers behind the scenes at Commonwealth Stadium.

Rick LeLacheur — who stepped in as interim president and CEO after his predecessor,

Victor Cui, mysteriously vanished last summer amid a cloud of secrecy and gag orders — might as well change his name to Rick Loss-Assured.

The only remaining question, aside from “How much did the Elks lose by?” was “Have they finally hit rock bottom?”

Now, with news breaking this week of the community-owned club switching to private ownership for the first time in its 75-year existence, with local construction magnate Larry Thompson stepping forward to buy his beloved Elks even though they’re but a shadow of their former selves, his No. 1 priority has to be attracting fans back to the stands.

And that means distancing himself from the mess things have become under the Elks banner.

Let’s face it, another losing season stuck spinning their tires at the bottom of the standings and their fight song will have to be changed to Gordon Lightfoot’s The Wreck of the Edmonton Fitzgerald.

Joking aside, if there was one thing Thompson could do to make an immediate impact while also offering symbolic restitution to longtime fans who carried the club through thick and thin, it would be undoing the rebranding that was forced upon the franchise four years ago.

Yes, a return of the Edmonton Eskimos.

Whether or not you agree with the idea, it would pave the way for a return to respectability in the eyes of many Edmontonians who have since steered clear of Commonwealth Stadium.

Back then, the name got lumped in with all the other sports clubs across the continent that drew their inspiration from native American life, from the amateur to the pro ranks. All of a sudden, it somehow turned into a mockery, or cultural appropriation, to use a term from the time.

You have to remember, this was the same summer as the murder of George Floyd at the hands of police, which led to riots in the streets and a hypersensitivity surrounding minorities and the pursuit of equality.

Fast-forward to today and the socio-political landscape has once again shifted.

With Trump Era version 2.0 possibly on the horizon, there has been a pushback to more traditional views, if you will. Not everything is wrong just because somebody said so on social media. And though there is a segment of the population that will continue to argue the Eskimos name was inappropriate, this is a clearcut case of majority rules.

And the majority has spoken — with their mouths and their wallets. And while pressure from sponsors is what led the Double-E to change the name in the first place, the blowback from the fan base over the seasons to follow has been every bit as severe, if not more.

The franchise is in a financial tailspin. The emergency fund is nearing depletion. The team can’t remember how to win.

And by the time they get things turned around on the field, there might be no one left in the stands to witness it.

Of course, reversing the rebranding would open an old can of worms that plagued the club over two decades. Whenever they found success that placed them in the national spotlight, it would reopen the debate and invite a who’s who of politicians to gang tackle the club.

There is no denying the term Eskimos was thrust upon members of the Inuit community in the spirit of imperialism, and will always carry a dark history. But the flip side has seen the football team proudly wave the Eskimos banner on the way to historic runs and 14 Grey Cup championships.

At this point, Thompson and company have to weigh the good and the bad and determine initial steps in plotting a course for the dawning of a new era of private ownership, because carrying on business as usual is not the answer.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
AXING ELKS REBRAND SHOULD TOP THOMPSON’S TO-DO LISTGERRY MODDEJONGE [email protected] X.com: @GerryModdejonge

Edmonton Journal
Aug 15, 2024

Opening up old wounds carries some risk, but fans clearly yearn for return of Eskimos

Sure the Edmonton Elks are getting a new private owner, but will it just be a different standup comic delivering the same old punchline?

The team has become nothing short of a joke both on the field and off since the name change, dropping the old Eskimos moniker in July 2020.

Barely winning. Barely anyone showing up any more. Every decision a bad one that only seemed to compound the problem. Too many old white guys making up the fan base (yes, tragically, they actually complained about that at one point).

The punchline came when the Elks — in a display so far removed from the glory days of the Eskimos winning five

Grey Cups in a row it might as well have happened in another universe — failed to win in front of their home fans in a drought that spanned an unthinkable 1,415 days between victories at Commonwealth Stadium.

Most everyone who has the gumption to still call themselves Elks fans in public would like to forget how the team set a new North American professional sports record of 22 straight home losses. Twenty of those losses came right after the rebranding, leading to talk of a curse that lasted three years.

But the jokes didn’t end there. For the past two seasons, the

Elks have stumbled out of the gates to horrendous starts of 0-9 and 0-7, respectively, generating snickers behind the scenes at Commonwealth Stadium.

Rick LeLacheur — who stepped in as interim president and CEO after his predecessor,

Victor Cui, mysteriously vanished last summer amid a cloud of secrecy and gag orders — might as well change his name to Rick Loss-Assured.

The only remaining question, aside from “How much did the Elks lose by?” was “Have they finally hit rock bottom?”

Now, with news breaking this week of the community-owned club switching to private ownership for the first time in its 75-year existence, with local construction magnate Larry Thompson stepping forward to buy his beloved Elks even though they’re but a shadow of their former selves, his No. 1 priority has to be attracting fans back to the stands.

And that means distancing himself from the mess things have become under the Elks banner.

Let’s face it, another losing season stuck spinning their tires at the bottom of the standings and their fight song will have to be changed to Gordon Lightfoot’s The Wreck of the Edmonton Fitzgerald.

Joking aside, if there was one thing Thompson could do to make an immediate impact while also offering symbolic restitution to longtime fans who carried the club through thick and thin, it would be undoing the rebranding that was forced upon the franchise four years ago.

Yes, a return of the Edmonton Eskimos.

Whether or not you agree with the idea, it would pave the way for a return to respectability in the eyes of many Edmontonians who have since steered clear of Commonwealth Stadium.

Back then, the name got lumped in with all the other sports clubs across the continent that drew their inspiration from native American life, from the amateur to the pro ranks. All of a sudden, it somehow turned into a mockery, or cultural appropriation, to use a term from the time.

You have to remember, this was the same summer as the murder of George Floyd at the hands of police, which led to riots in the streets and a hypersensitivity surrounding minorities and the pursuit of equality.

Fast-forward to today and the socio-political landscape has once again shifted.

With Trump Era version 2.0 possibly on the horizon, there has been a pushback to more traditional views, if you will. Not everything is wrong just because somebody said so on social media. And though there is a segment of the population that will continue to argue the Eskimos name was inappropriate, this is a clearcut case of majority rules.

And the majority has spoken — with their mouths and their wallets. And while pressure from sponsors is what led the Double-E to change the name in the first place, the blowback from the fan base over the seasons to follow has been every bit as severe, if not more.

The franchise is in a financial tailspin. The emergency fund is nearing depletion. The team can’t remember how to win.

And by the time they get things turned around on the field, there might be no one left in the stands to witness it.

Of course, reversing the rebranding would open an old can of worms that plagued the club over two decades. Whenever they found success that placed them in the national spotlight, it would reopen the debate and invite a who’s who of politicians to gang tackle the club.

There is no denying the term Eskimos was thrust upon members of the Inuit community in the spirit of imperialism, and will always carry a dark history. But the flip side has seen the football team proudly wave the Eskimos banner on the way to historic runs and 14 Grey Cup championships.

At this point, Thompson and company have to weigh the good and the bad and determine initial steps in plotting a course for the dawning of a new era of private ownership, because carrying on business as usual is not the answer.
This guy is a flake.

There was no "spirit of imperialism" thrust upon the Inuit wrt the football team.

The name was adopted because the term "Eskimos" represented tough people who excelled in the cold. It was respect for how well they did in a tough environment.

Personally, if they get back to winning football I don't care if they keep the Elks handle or for that matter call themselves the Edmonton Eunuchs. But just save us the embarassing 0-7 or 0-9 starts.

Gerry cashed all the cheques for many years as the football writer for the Eskimos and never said a word about their nickname. Then when he saw which way the wind was blowing he jumped on the bandwagon. Such bravery.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
There is a reason this is being addressed so much by reputable sports journalists, some close to the team. I think once potentially interested parties got a look at the teams books it reduced the pool of prospective buyers. The league also wanted to ensure any private owner was going to have the financial backing and willingness to spend, so by the end of the search there probably wasn’t many candidates left standing so in order to get a local owner, who’s got long standing ties to the team and deep pockets, giving the new owner the right to change the name was probably a compromise they had to swallow.

I still think Esks/Eskies along with a return of the Eskimo identity and history is probably what happens. It’s a good compromise that likely gets a lot of fans back who left because of the name change but gives you cover from the SJW who will rage about it. That said if a lot of people who actually care about the football team push for Eskimos, I could see it happening, I think the owner is one of the people who wants Eskimos back lol. Don’t think he’s concerned about corporate sponsors, times are different now and new ownership doesn’t have to be so reliant or beholden to sponsors. The fact of the matter is that if they can get more people and eyeballs back on the team, there will be opportunities for new sponsorships.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
This guy is a flake.

There was no "spirit of imperialism" thrust upon the Inuit wrt the football team.

The name was adopted because the term "Eskimos" represented tough people who excelled in the cold. It was respect for how well they did in a tough environment.

Personally, if they get back to winning football I don't care if they keep the Elks handle or for that matter call themselves the Edmonton Eunuchs. But just save us the embarassing 0-7 or 0-9 starts.

Gerry cashed all the cheques for many years as the football writer for the Eskimos and never said a word about their nickname. Then when he saw which way the wind was blowing he jumped on the bandwagon. Such bravery.

The thing that never gets talked about is that other than a singular piece of artwork that appeared in the 50's at some point (think it was a program cover or something), absolutely zero indigenous imagery or references to indigenous heritage have been used. No chants, no indigenous mascots, no red colouring, nothing whatsoever that could remotely be considered mocking, racist, or appropriation. There was nothing even related to "representing" their culture or anything of that sort. Literally the name "Eskimos," the EE logo, and a polar bear for a mascot. That's it.

To be honest, when this all blew up for the first time in 2015 I laughed because I thought it was a massive reach to even make the association. They get tossed into the same bucket as the Redskins, Indians, Chiefs, etc and although I don't necessarily agree with rebrands for these franchises either, its pretty blatantly obvious that there is A LOT more about the branding and practices of these organizations that could cause offence. The Eskimos weren't in the same stratosphere, but I feel like a lot of loud, annoying voices here wanted them to be so they could be members of the performative outrage club.

Crowing on about it being a "relic of imperialism" is abject nonsense, but it seems that even journalists supportive of "Eskimos" need to self flagellate over it.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The thing that never gets talked about is that other than a singular piece of artwork that appeared in the 50's at some point (think it was a program cover or something), absolutely zero indigenous imagery or references to indigenous heritage have been used. No chants, no indigenous mascots, no red colouring, nothing whatsoever that could remotely be considered mocking, racist, or appropriation. There was nothing even related to "representing" their culture or anything of that sort. Literally the name "Eskimos," the EE logo, and a polar bear for a mascot. That's it.

To be honest, when this all blew up for the first time in 2015 I laughed because I thought it was a massive reach to even make the association. They get tossed into the same bucket as the Redskins, Indians, Chiefs, etc and although I don't necessarily agree with rebrands for these franchises either, its pretty blatantly obvious that there is A LOT more about the branding and practices of these organizations that could cause offence. The Eskimos weren't in the same stratosphere, but I feel like a lot of loud, annoying voices here wanted them to be so they could be members of the performative outrage club.

Crowing on about it being a "relic of imperialism" is abject nonsense, but it seems that even journalists supportive of "Eskimos" need to self flagellate over it.
The rate that Postmedia is losing money, it may not be an issue much longer for the writer(s).

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I suspect this was when Nielsen posted that Warren Moon was in the building and part of the announcement, which was found to be incorrect and Nielsen removed the tweet.
Thanks.

Gee, wouldn’t it be a great nod to the past if he (or any of the other greats) was a minority owner? He’s probably one of the few that would have the (even at CFL levels) fluidity to invest, given the meagre salaries most others earned in their playing careers.

Reactions: bellagiobob

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
My snarkiness aside, as a white guy, I don't get to tell Indigenous peoples what they should and shouldn't find offensive. Jordin Tootoo had a fantastic, nuanced response to the debate that I've been trying to find.

If LT does his research, and it shows indigenous support for the name, then do it. I just hope he does a proper, thorough consultation with northern communities.

EDIT

Found Jordin's response:

Attachments

• EccNz3lU8AA5LdL.jpeg
    EccNz3lU8AA5LdL.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 3

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
According to Iwanyk the presser is still scheduled for 11:30 - just said so a minute ago

I can't wait to listen to him completely melt down again if they talk about a rebrand back to Eskimos.

His reaction to those that disagreed last time was bordering on manic, I'll have the popcorn ready for round 2 to watch him either cry again or eat crow.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
Oh man that youtube chat's gonna be crazy

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My snarkiness aside, as a white guy, I don't get to tell Indigenous peoples what they should and shouldn't find offensive. Jordin Tootoo had a fantastic, nuanced response to the debate that I've been trying to find.

If LT does his research, and it shows indigenous support for the name, then do it. I just hope he does a proper, thorough consultation with northern communities.

EDIT

Found Jordin's response:
Perfectly reasonable response and if they do decide to go back to Eskimos I think it would be appropriate to be very clear about why the name is so important to the franchise and its fanbase and how it’s viewed with reverence. Also they should work with indigenous partners, use the opportunity to bring awareness to real issues that indigenous people face and try to create real change.

There is an opportunity to explain why the name is so important while also using the situation to bring awareness to issues that actually affect indigenous communities and hopefully bring some change. In that case I think people would be more accepting of the name if it’s being used as an opportunity to keep real indigenous issues in discussion instead of what they did which was just change the name and move on.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
You can tell he's pretty overwhelmed with all of this. Katz is really no better, which is why people generally speak for him.

Well done dodge on the name question though, I was impressed with how he swung that into today being a celebration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad