CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'm in my 30's and in school the teacher had to constantly remind us that the correct term was "Inuit" now, as the textbooks still used "Eskimo" incessantly as the official term.

Became offensive around the late 90's/early 2000's I guess.
This has been discussed before (and i have been recently educated on this) but the original meaning of Eskimo represented the northern peoples in the West portion of the north.
This is a pre colonial word as well so it has nothing at all to do with colonialism.

To my understanding the Inuit (of the East) and Eskimo (of the West) are 2 different peoples (with differing origins) so there is no reason for an Inuit person to 'feel' offended by that name.
That likely explains why the Western portion of the North were very supportive of the team keeping the Eskimo name.
Secondarily...this notion that we have to make sure that absolutely no one is upset by a word is about as dysfunctional as it gets.
Its an impossible task and quite hones;ty I dont want to be in a society that is hyper concerned about someones feelings getting hurt at every turn.
When did people become so incredibly weak and thin skinned that they actually spend their time looking for things that might hurt someones feelings?
Toughen up for gods sake.

Last edited:

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
I agree.
I actually like that LT was a little out of his element in that presser. It suggests to me that he bought the team for the right reasons...he loves the team and wants to return it to its previous status as the flagship franchise in the CFL.
That includes a rebrand/name change.

Just listend to part of Ewanik and Gazzolas coverage on EST. Iwanik is convinced that Bots took over and pumped up the vote totals for Eskimos. I havent listened to him much at all but for him to make a claim like that suggests that he really is an idiot....or maybe blinded by his own extreme level of wokeness.
He basically suggested that Bots were be programmed to isolate on a name change in Dusitn Neilsons twitter feed and they succesfully influenced the vote to change the team name to Eskimos.
I stopped listening after that.
Iwanyk is annoying and I just want to slap him in the mouth when he speaks!

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I agree.
I actually like that LT was a little out of his element in that presser. It suggests to me that he bought the team for the right reasons...he loves the team and wants to return it to its previous status as the flagship franchise in the CFL.
That includes a rebrand/name change.

Just listend to part of Ewanik and Gazzolas coverage on EST. Iwanik is convinced that Bots took over and pumped up the vote totals for Eskimos. I havent listened to him much at all but for him to make a claim like that suggests that he really is an idiot....or maybe blinded by his own extreme level of wokeness.
He basically suggested that Bots were be programmed to isolate on a name change in Dusitn Neilsons twitter feed and they succesfully influenced the vote to change the team name to Eskimos.
I stopped listening after that.
Ewanyk or however the hell you spell his name is such a doofus. Anything to avoid admitting that many people who support the team likely want the name back. If anything I think it would be the opposite, while Nielsen’s hasty X poll likely wasn’t open long enough, I’m sure if the team polled the public over the course of a week there would be a coordinated effort from non fans to flood it with votes to keep the Elks name. Like I said yesterday though, they don’t give a shit about the broader public , they will seek the input of supporters, season ticket holders past and present, as well as alumni when deciding on team name moving forward.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I know some people who claim to have abandoned the team because of the name change. I don’t believe them; if the team was winning they’d be in the stands.
I am a former season ticket holder I will never buy another ticket to watch a franchise that is embarrssed about their Eskimo name and past.
I am not alone either. I know of at least 3 other former season ticket holders that feel the same way.

I wont even watch this sorry ass embarrassment of a team on TV. I dont care how much they win.

So the name change matters a lot to me and others. It isnt some meaningless moniker that could be anything. That name has so much meaning and history behind it.
I suspect that quite a few people feel the same way.

This change of ownership is a godsend IMO. The team now has a chance to remove the stench that has permiated this franchise since 2020.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I am a former season ticket holder I will never buy another ticket to watch a franchise that is embarrssed about their Eskimo name and past.
I am not alone either. I know of at least 3 other former season ticket holders that feel the same way.

I wont even watch this sorry ass embarrassment of a team on TV. I dont care how much they win.

So the name change matters a lot to me and others. It isnt some meaningless moniker that could be anything. That name has so much meaning and history behind it.
I suspect that quite a few people feel the same way.
Reading this rants suggest to me that maybe it was moreso the way they handled the name change itself. Whitewashing history and such did come across a bit disrespectful to the past. Would you have been more receptive if that had been handled more delicately without such an effort to completelely erase the word while moving on to a new name going forward?

For example, when I talk about teams pre-2020, I'll still usually say Edmonton Eskimos and most certainly won't refer to them as Elks

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
What I find curious is that anyone who believes the EE shouldn't be called the Eskimos is referred to in a pejorative fashion as as "woke" (which in itself is humorous as so much that one considers "woke" is not negative at all, but rather a positive attribute).
But I guess the flip side is then anyone who calls those who are calling for the Eskimo name to come back is a Neanderthal?
Its all shades of grey. I don't think any side of the name conversation is either a Neanderthal or "woke" (in the pejorative sense). I dont get why the discussion is framed that way by so many. Both sides on the issue are legitimate, good faith viewpoints.
This coming from a guy who thinks name shouldn't have been changed. But again, the other viewpoint is legit as well.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Good for him! Great for us!
This serves as a reminder about how “quiet” Edmonton money is. These folks run successful businesses, give back a lot to the community, underpin many huge projects….usually, without a whisper about them. Kudos!!!

What I find curious is that anyone who believes the EE shouldn't be called the Eskimos is referred to in a pejorative fashion as as "woke" (which in itself is humorous as so much that one considers "woke" is not negative at all, but rather a positive attribute).
But I guess the flip side is then anyone who calls those who are calling for the Eskimo name to come back is a Neanderthal?
Its all shades of grey. I don't think any side of the name conversation is either a Neanderthal or "woke" (in the pejorative sense). I dont get why the discussion is framed that way by so many. Both sides on the issue are legitimate, good faith viewpoints.
This coming from a guy who thinks name shouldn't have been changed. But again, the other viewpoint is legit as well.
Maybe we need to steal a page from Prince who became “the person previously known as Prince”.
I got nothing.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Reading this rants suggest to me that maybe it was moreso the way they handled the name change itself. Whitewashing history and such did come across a bit disrespectful to the past. Would you have been more receptive if that had been handled more delicately without such an effort to completelely erase the word while moving on to a new name going forward?

For example, when I talk about teams pre-2020, I'll still usually say Edmonton Eskimos and most certainly won't refer to them as Elks
You're right it is a rant and you are also right about how they handled the name change.
It wasnt the name change itself though. The reasoning was disengenuous as well.
It was entriely activist driven.

Im still angry about it (I guess that really couldnt be more obvious...lol).
I was very emotionally invested in the Eskimos. I sat through all kinds of shit weather just to be at a game supporting that team.
This was once a very proud franchise and I was proud to wear Eskimo logo/colors and be a season ticket holder.
I have been going to games since Commonwealth opened. I became a season ticket holder as a teenager in 1981. Spending my meager savings on season tickets. I was a die hard fan.
The Eskimos were integrated into the community. You dont just try and erase all of what made this team great because a few activists stirred up resentment over a name that they dont even have a proper understanding of.
There was nothing legitimate about any of what happaned in 2020 and the team became illegitimate as a result.

I guess if tradition and history meant nothing to me and the name had no value to the community then I wouldnt care what they called them.
Thats not the case though.
It does matter.
Continuity matters.
The history that built this team and ingrained it into the community matters to me.

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I’m in the same boat, was a season ticket holder since I was 18 and before the name change I had 3 pairs of season seats and would go to almost every game and give extra tickets to friends/family or donate. My father also had a loge rooftop table at that time and we didn’t renew anything after the name change.

What upset me the most is how they just completely caved to special interest and didn’t even attempt to weather the outrage which inevitably always moves onto something else. They didn’t even try to find a compromise and it felt like they chose what the broader public who couldn’t give a shit about the team over what the people who’ve supported it in many cases for decades thought. The whole way they went about it as well felt really disingenuous, trying to sneak it though while the league was shut down during covid.

I believe there was a better path forward where a compromise could of been reached and maybe even an opportunity for continued awareness on indigenous issues that could bring some actual good, and a name like the Esks or Eskies which wouldn’t of made both sides completely happy but would of been enough and they wouldn’t need to paint over the teams history and identity making people feel like they should be ashamed of something they’re actually very proud of.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@SupremeTeam16
Your suggestion (I think it was you) about investing in the northern communities and welcoming them into the Edmonton Eskimo brand and its out reach is an excellent idea.
I would fully support that.

I think that idea should find its way into LT's Inbox.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks Guymez and SupremeTeam16. I think these are reasonable opinions.

For me the challenge becomes how do you repair this while still being reasonable to both sides (i.e finding new compromise after the fact)

Just saying "f*** that... we're the Eskimos again" likely creates an even bigger backlash than existed at the time from the type of people that would have been opposed to the name because you are deliberately choosing to change the name to one that is at minimum offensive to a reasonable amount of people. It's a word offensive enough that there are other organizations that have removed the word from their names.

The board at the time f***ed up royally in how they pandered immediately to a couple sponsors who were just looking for an excuse to cut costs after covid while making good press. The timing was even odd as just one year prior they had released the results of their engagement with indigenous people that they had done which led them to keep the name.

However, every single influential person that was with the team when it happened is now gone (or soon will be with today's announcement) so is it fair to paint the new owner with the same brush if he's on a path to making amends with the history of the name even if he ends up falling short of changing the name back.

He's in the precarious position of trying to win back fans that have been lost but creating a new bigger controversy may lead to a temporary rebound in sales by getting those hurt by the previous administration's mistakes to possibly return to the building, but could be even more damaging in the long run at trying win new fans altogether.

So what does compromise look like today.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

For me the challenge becomes how do you repair this while still being reasonable to both sides (i.e finding new compromise after the fact)

Just saying "f*** that... we're the Eskimos again" likely creates an even bigger backlash than existed at the time from the type of people that would have been opposed to the name because you are deliberately choosing to change the name to one that is at minimum offensive to a reasonable amount of people. It's a word offensive enough that there are other organizations that have removed the word from their names.

The board at the time f***ed up royally in how they pandered immediately to a couple sponsors who were just looking for an excuse to cut costs after covid while making good press. The timing was even odd as just one year prior they had released the results of their engagement with indigenous people that they had done which led them to keep the name.

However, every single influential person that was with the team when it happened is now gone (or soon will be with today's announcement) so is it fair to paint the new owner with the same brush if he's on a path to making amends with the history of the name even if he ends up falling short of changing the name back.

He's in the precarious position of trying to win back fans that have been lost but creating a new bigger controversy may lead to a temporary rebound in sales by getting those hurt by the previous administration's mistakes to possibly return to the building, but could be even more damaging in the long run at trying win new fans altogether.

"Esks" is the definition of compromise, but I've already seen one side in particular suggest that isn't good enough because its a clear reference to the former awful banned word and people will think of the former awful banned word whenever "Esks" is mentioned.

I myself would prefer Eskimos, and would love to actually see someone ballsy enough to tell the woke to stuff it, but if it ended up being "Esks" I would be saying "not my preference, but way better than Elks, and I get to actually feel a connection again." I feel like this would likely be the general reaction for the majority of folks that want a return to Eskimos.

I don't feel like this will be anywhere near the case on the other side of the ledger. Like why "Empire" also got banned away in the process because *gasp* some people might associate it with colonialism. This was the rumoured alternate name for years (that the team trademarked), only for it to be whisked away at the mere suggestion of non-acceptance from the mob. The fact that "Esks" or "Eskies" didn't appear to even be considered out of the gate is an indicator to me that they knew that it wouldn't be enough to make them go away.

I feel like one side would be willing to compromise, especially knowing what this gong show looks like, the others won't.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
1723765865089.png

1723765888230.png

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
"Esks" is the definition of compromise, but I've already seen one side in particular suggest that isn't good enough because its a clear reference to the former awful banned word and people will think of the former awful banned word whenever "Esks" is mentioned.

I myself would prefer Eskimos, and would love to actually see someone ballsy enough to tell the woke to stuff it, but if it ended up being "Esks" I would be saying "not my preference, but way better than Elks, and I get to actually feel a connection again." I feel like this would likely be the general reaction for the majority of folks that want a return to Eskimos.

I don't feel like this will be anywhere near the case on the other side of the ledger. Like why "Empire" also got banned away in the process because *gasp* some people might associate it with colonialism. This was the rumoured alternate name for years (that the team trademarked), only for it to be whisked away at the mere suggestion of non-acceptance from the mob. The fact that "Esks" or "Eskies" didn't appear to even be considered out of the gate is an indicator to me that they knew that it wouldn't be enough to make them go away.

I feel like one side would be willing to compromise, especially knowing what this gong show looks like, the others won't.
I think that this is pretty easy.
Just reach out to the Western Northern people and ask them.
If the previous poll is any indication they were overwhemlingly in favor of the team being named the Eskimos. In addition offer up some community involvement from the team in these Northern communities. Provide them with a hands on connection to the team.

Not everyone is going to like it and thats okay. They can deal with it themsleves.
No more imposing views on everyone else just because someone considers it to be offensive.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

At least from today moving forward we know that the name and history won’t be shoved under the rug like it has been the last few years. Thats the biggest thing for me. Yes the Elks name is awful, but its what it represents to me that is the bigger issue, and that’s because its associated directly with removing all things Eskimo from the team history.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I thought his wife looked reasonably hot in that dress and also a little younger. You and I and a few others on here are at an age where we can likely identify with that, so I'll leave it at that.:D
I own jeans like that and some shorts too. Just wouldnt wear them to a press conf where I’m being introduced to the city, league and nation.

But really I’m barking about about a non issue . He owns a CFL team, I watch CFL. Huge difference in bank accounts.

Congrats to him, his family , ESK fans and CFL fans across the nation….

Oh, and fire Randy Ambrosie into the sun. Soon.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

It’s so much more difficult to go back which is why the hasty decision to change it in the first place was a bad one. Personally, I believe there’s a path back, you’ll never please everyone and it’ll be costly but I think with a thoughtful return you could satisfy both sides enough and maybe even do some actual good. Start with a thoughtful, well crafted statement about why the name is so important to the people around this organization and how in todays day and age, for a lot of us its a term of reverence and a symbol of something that a lot of northern people, regardless of ethnicity can relate to. Get some alum involved talking about what it means to them to be an Eskimo and just explain why people are so attached to it. Then lean into it and use the opportunity as a teaching moment to educate a broader audience on Inuit and indigenous language and culture. Collaborate with interested groups to include more that highlights the cultures and heritage whether in game day events/presentation or in the stadium. I think it would be cool to try and incorporate some Inuit language into the signage and I think they’d find people more receptive to learning and remembering what they learn. And the most important thing is using their charitable ability to donate and raise funds to actually help make a difference on challenging issues these communities and so many others are facing such as housing, addiction, economic disparity and even clean drinking water. I think if you do these kinds of things respectfully and with consultation, there’s a chance you could smooth things over enough going back to the original name and history.

I don’t see it happening though, I think they’ll take the easy compromise and go Esks/Eskies and from the sounds of it lean on the EE in branding and bring the history back. Times have changed and it’ll be easier to weather whatever cries of being offended come because of a made up word.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I think it can be handled correctly so that the only controversy will be with the activists and no one else.
The people that matter will be on board.
No one should care what the acitivists think and that may well include some of the woke media.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad