CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
"Cold" has always been the theme associated with the name and this lines up with it. Igloos, polar bears, ice, etc.

Not headdresses, war chants, caricature logos, tomahawk chops, indigenous mascots, etc, etc, etc that is THE feature of teams in other leagues with indigenous names/references. Unlike the other organizations where the things that people might be offended by are all slapping you in the face, taking offence to the name "Eskimos" actually takes a little bit of work.
There are people who take that work seriously.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
I know some people who claim to have abandoned the team because of the name change. I don’t believe them; if the team was winning they’d be in the stands.
I'm sure the team knows how many people left because of the name change. There is no way that number is zero. Zero is the number of new season seat holders they ot from changing the name.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Ford is the guy that makes the running game work so effectively. Hopefully it’s only the one game that he misses.
As much as I like to see Ford running the offense, injuries will dog him thru his career because that style of play is exciting but prone to serious damage. He will have to learn to protect himself. Lasting 18 games is a rare skill all by itself.

MBT is not the answer so I hope the EE will sign another arm coming out of the NFL camps.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There are people who take that work seriously.
For sure.
Finding something to be outraged about (that usually doesnt involve them directly) is part of their identity.
Doesnt matter if its actually justified outrage either and thats really the probem.
They are primarily motivated by the appearance of superior moral virtue.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I am a former season ticket holder I will never buy another ticket to watch a franchise that is embarrssed about their Eskimo name and past.
I am not alone either. I know of at least 3 other former season ticket holders that feel the same way.

I wont even watch this sorry ass embarrassment of a team on TV. I dont care how much they win.

So the name change matters a lot to me and others. It isnt some meaningless moniker that could be anything. That name has so much meaning and history behind it.
I suspect that quite a few people feel the same way.

This change of ownership is a godsend IMO. The team now has a chance to remove the stench that has permiated this franchise since 2020.
I agree and didn’t say otherwise.I was only referencing specific former season-ticket holders. I know some people who have done as you have nd have given up their tickets.

I also agree on the ownership change. I think it’s a great thing. However, the main thing is to start winning.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For a compromise that doesn't go all the way back, I'm curious what the thoughts around naming the Edmonton Eskan or Eskans (not sure the pluralization) would be.

The word Eskan is a cree for Antler. Kind of ties both names together in that we could still says Esks as short for Eskan(s) without having it become the shortened version of Eskimos. It pays tribute to indigenous people by using word from one of their languages, and it also ties in the the whole Elks and Antler theme that was part of the Elks branding.

Reactions: Valhallis

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I agree and didn’t say otherwise.I was only referencing specific former season-ticket holders. I know some people who have done as you have nd have given up their tickets.

I also agree on the ownership change. I think it’s a great thing. However, the main thing is to start winning.
Fair points.
The only thing we disagree on is this current version of the team...the Elks.

I am not invested in the Elks at all. I dont care if they win or if they lose.

Once the Elk stench is off this organization (the Elk is taken out behind the barn) then I will re-invest.
Certainly emotionally and likely financially in some way.
Even if the team (initially) isnt very good.

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
For sure.
Finding something to be outraged about (that usually doesnt involve them directly) is part of their identity.
Doesnt matter if its actually justified outrage either and thats really the probem.
They are primarily motivated by the appearance of superior moral virtue.
I’m gonna play devils advocate here though and say that some have chosen outrage over the name change. So why is that outrage more valuable or more ok than someone else’s? I don’t think the name change was handled particularly well especially some of the comments to the fans surrounding it - to me that was more disrespectful than the name change itself.

So why be upset about a name change of a team we are cheering for, if the presence of that name is upsetting and triggering for a sector of our society? Given all that we have done to our indigenous communities what right do I have to cling to that name. Research does show the word has fallen out of favour, but it’s not unanimous and that’s what is tricky, as it never will be. Is it tokenism? Probably, but we undertake small acts all the time to correct ourselves. Think of the derogatory words we used to use for homosexuals growing up if you are my age. We don’t use them now for good reason, doesn’t solve the entire issue but it’s a step.

At the end of the day I highly doubt there’s a path back to using the full historical name again. There’s no local tribe or group you could partner with to help give it credibility and the population up north is likely too diverse to try to gather near unanimous support. I wish we could never debate it again, I’d love to never see another post on this subject (fully realizing the irony of saying that as I’m about to post another one).

Anyways go football team, what I think we all want is a healthy club that’s competitive, part of our vibrant community and is a fun place to go and see some ball. I hope the new owner is the step in that direction, regardless of any name choice moving forward.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Maybe I am old bones but I can not and will not support any team that turned their backs on what made them great in the first place.
Where is the Boston Pizza sponsorship now? They left us high and dry when they got their way.
-15 out and it's the blue-collar working man going to the freezing their ass off supporting the Eskimos, not some special generation of rights and privileges/me to fans supporting them
EE turned its backs on the fans and till they stop caving to rights and privileges/me to fans they are not going anywhere

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
For a compromise that doesn't go all the way back, I'm curious what the thoughts around naming the Edmonton Eskan or Eskans (not sure the pluralization) would be.

The word Eskan is a cree for Antler. Kind of ties both names together in that we could still says Esks as short for Eskan(s) without having it become the shortened version of Eskimos. It pays tribute to indigenous people by using word from one of their languages, and it also ties in the the whole Elks and Antler theme that was part of the Elks branding.
I think your desire for a solution is noble, however I think you still might be facing the issue of cultural appropriation as there will always be someone that pontificates that this is a horrible smearing of their legacy, often just to be contrary.

Bite hard and go back to the Esks name with the proper roll out and support of doing so such as TooToos assessment mentioned, and assume that you will not see some of the Pro Elk -ilk walk through the door ever (and that’s probably a small number I assume given the crowds the past few years).

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Appreciate the effort, but a hard pass for me. Sounds to much like Eakins, too many horrific memories from that name. ;) At this point for me it’s either Eskimos, Esks, Eskies or EE Football Club.

Reactions: Myride

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007

unfortunately for me it has to be Eskimos. Otherwise may as well keep the Elks name. It’s way too many name changes in such a short time. Just wish they would have gone with a Jaegermeister style logo instead of a cartoon one with floating antlers

Out of curiosity do they still play the fight song?

Reactions: bellagiobob

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
unfortunately for me it has to be Eskimos. Otherwise may as well keep the Elks name. It’s way too many name changes in such a short time. Just wish they would have gone with a Jaegermeister style logo instead of a cartoon one with floating antlers

They do at the end of the 3rd Quarter, with slightly altered lyrics. Just like overall attendance, the participation in the fight song has been waning way more because of the team's dismal on-field performance than the Eskimos/Elks name stuff.

As a football first (politics last) 45+ year season ticket holder, I am on-board with the way that new owner Larry Thompson is handling the branding stuff. Lean on the EE while quietly going forward under the Elks name. The name change complainers will never be silenced but my Cleveland Guardians (formerly Indians) are proving that winning can quiet them as attendance increases.

Last edited:
Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Yes. they just replaced the first two instances of Eskimos with Edmonton, and the final instance is "Edmonton Elks, Let's Go!" but a lot of people still say Eskimos for the last instance.

At first they tried to replace it with Green and Gold but it sounded terrible as Green and Gold was said way too much in a short stretch.

Reactions: PositiveCashFlow

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Elks name will remain but more emphasis on the EE. This Rishaug interview was done after the presser.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Elks name will remain but more emphasis on the EE. This Rishaug interview was done after the presser.

Then why didn’t he just say that in the presser? Don’t just slide that in after the fact. Not the start I was hoping for. Not so much just about the name change, but how he went about saying that would be discussed a different day, and then literally announcing it a few hours later.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

That sounds about right to me.

Why bring down a hurricane on your family's head and be threatened with your life (and you know that some of these wokester-kooks will do it) over a football team's name?

I like the name change about as much as everybody else on the thread (which is to say, not at all) but I think Thompson has a good idea about the emphasis on the "EE."

Just refer to the team as the Double E machine. It sounds powerful.

"Double E machine to mow down Stamps and the following week will rip Gainer out of his hole and strangle pesky rodent." (not sure if gophers are actually classified as rodents)

Stuff like that--with some humor and a touch of implied violence for the real macho crowd.

And of course, win some football games and make the playoffs. Once you have 30K fans excited at Commonwealth stadium you won't hear too much about the nick-name. Just win baby.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That sounds about right to me.

Why bring down a hurricane on your family's head and be threatened with your life (and you know that some of these wokester-kooks will do it) over a football team's name?

I like the name change about as much as everybody else on the thread (which is to say, not at all) but I think Thompson has a good idea about the emphasis on the "EE."

Just refer to the team as the Double E machine. It sounds powerful.

"Double E machine to mow down Stamps and the following week will rip Gainer out of his hole and strangle pesky rodent." (not sure if gophers are actually classified as rodents)

Stuff like that--with some humor and a touch of implied violence for the real macho crowd.

And of course, win some football games and make the playoffs. Once you have 30K fans excited at Commonwealth stadium you won't hear too much about the nick-name. Just win baby.

Similar to the Redskins, they should have just gone with "Edmonton Football Club" and retained literally every other aspect of the team's branding and logo. Now we're going to have a team that looks and feels like the Eskimos (hopefully), but we'll still have to call them the f***ing "Elks."

Two things that would be nice to see return:

1) The actual EE logo. Not the "cool" one that Cui put on the helmets, but the real EE logo encircled in green. Get rid of John Deere entirely, I don't want to see it again.

2) The actual EE uniforms. No more white numbers (no idea why they needed to do this, but I hate it), no more dumb Elk logo on the sleeves or pants. Just bring back what they wore in 2019.

Speaking of compromise, I think I'd be ok at this point if they kept "Elks," but just stopped trying to pimp it constantly. Just give us the Eskimo logo, the Eskimo uniform, the Eskimo feel. Call any team from 1949-2019 the Eskimos, because they were, refer to alumni as Eskimo alumni, because they were. Stop the proverbial book burning of anything that occurred prior to the name change. Cut the "Antler Up!" bullshit, and treat the Elk name as an aside, but not the entire feature of the brand.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Then why didn’t he just say that in the presser? Don’t just slide that in after the fact. Not the start I was hoping for. Not so much just about the name change, but how he went about saying that would be discussed a different day, and then literally announcing it a few hours later.
Rishaug was kind of leading him with the questions, but honestly does anyone expect him to come in day 1 and announce they’re going to change the name again.

I’ll be any amount of money it changes either this offseason or next. Need to get to the offseason when they have time to consult fans and alum.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Similar to the Redskins, they should have just gone with "Edmonton Football Club" and retained literally every other aspect of the team's branding and logo. Now we're going to have a team that looks and feels like the Eskimos (hopefully), but we'll still have to call them the f***ing "Elks."

Two things that would be nice to see return:

1) The actual EE logo. Not the "cool" one that Cui put on the helmets, but the real EE logo encircled in green. Get rid of John Deere entirely, I don't want to see it again.

2) The actual EE uniforms. No more white numbers (no idea why they needed to do this, but I hate it), no more dumb Elk logo on the sleeves or pants. Just bring back what they wore in 2019.

Speaking of compromise, I think I'd be ok at this point if they kept "Elks," but just stopped trying to pimp it constantly. Just give us the Eskimo logo, the Eskimo uniform, the Eskimo feel. Call any team from 1949-2019 the Eskimos, because they were, refer to alumni as Eskimo alumni, because they were. Stop the proverbial book burning of anything that occurred prior to the name change. Cut the "Antler Up!" bullshit, and treat the Elk name as an aside, but not the entire feature of the brand.
One thing that I found disturbing is that CBC replays of old Grey Cups had been edited so that the word Eskimos would not be heard. That is truly ridiculous and is a case of re-writing history.

Agree that bringing back a "gritty" look revolving around the iconic EE is the best compromise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad