CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This guy is a flake.

There was no "spirit of imperialism" thrust upon the Inuit wrt the football team.

The name was adopted because the term "Eskimos" represented tough people who excelled in the cold. It was respect for how well they did in a tough environment.

Personally, if they get back to winning football I don't care if they keep the Elks handle or for that matter call themselves the Edmonton Eunuchs. But just save us the embarassing 0-7 or 0-9 starts.

Gerry cashed all the cheques for many years as the football writer for the Eskimos and never said a word about their nickname. Then when he saw which way the wind was blowing he jumped on the bandwagon. Such bravery.
Very true. His earlier articles when the name change was bandied about and then changed were completely the opposite of this. He'd make a good politician.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Name change dodge by bother Thompson and Ambrosie (this guy diodgeseverything though) suggests to me that the "Elks" brand days are numbered. I don't think it'll happen overnight though. I'm indifferent to be honest but I know it's important to a lot of you guys so let's hope for something that'll make the majority happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Very, very telling when the elephant in the room was eventually addressed and a reporter asked him about the name change, and he responded, "this is not the day to discuss that".

It's going to change, fellas! In due time, I suspect for next year will be the time,

Was also a bit shocked and surprised by his comments about the status of Commonwealth Stadium, talking about either upgrades, or gasp, a new facility.

You could see he was a bit unsteady and not really comfortable in front of cameras and this sort of thing. But that's not his function. I'd rather have someone a bit more low key than a blowhard like those clowns that Ottawa had for a while. Speak soft and carry a big f***ing stick.

And when he does things like change the name, the sponsors can line up, and if one of them doesn't agree with it and asks him to keep it as Elks, he can say, "Next!"

Also, had to laugh at RL, saying when the BOD met with him last fall, trying to decide the course of action to consider selling the team to a private owner, it was a "difficult decision." Christ what a dense tool. They were so backed into a corner, their spine was warped. For anyone, it would have been one of the easiest decisions they ever made, since it was the ONLY option. I guess other than simply folding the team.

Ambrosie has to be the biggest ass kisser I've ever seen. What an embarrassment. Thompson said the appropriate things in public about him and to his face, so good for him. Keep it classy and low key. But I'm sure in private and deep down, he likely thinks, "what a buffoon."

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
I have to commend Dustin Nielson's podcast - I can't believe they were able to get RL, RA, and LT on there

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Regarding the team name…some background info:
The team was originally / formally named the Edmonton Football Club in 1949 when it was established.
The team made a Grey Cup trip down east in 1951 or ‘52 and an Ottawa sports reporter wrote an article calling them “those?@ Eskimos from Edmonton” as a reference to our usually cold late fall/ early winters. I can’t recall the reporter’s name or his newspaper (Ottawa Citizen?) but that name stuck after the widespread media attention that week. Later it was decided by the team directors to formally adopt the nickname.
This is a patchy recall on my part but it gets the gist of things.

Did you hear the one about why a Grey Cup game was delayed for about an hour?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The team was originally / formally named the Edmonton Football Club in 1949 when it was established.
The team made a Grey Cup trip down east in 1951 or ‘52 and an Ottawa sports reporter wrote an article calling them “those?@ Eskimos from Edmonton” as a reference to our usually cold late fall/ early winters. I can’t recall the reporter’s name or his newspaper (Ottawa Citizen?)
but that name stuck after the widespread media attention that week. Later it was decided by the team directors to formally adopt the nickname.

I don't think this is accurate. They were the Eskimos right off the bat in 1949. I think that article you refer to was from much earlier in the 1900s in regards to a previous Edmonton team.

---
edited to add

Found a reference to it and it was actually Calgary reporter.

1723749665092.png

Last edited:

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The team made a Grey Cup trip down east in 1951 or ‘52 and an Ottawa sports reporter wrote an article calling them “those?@ Eskimos from Edmonton” as a reference to our usually cold late fall/ early winters. I can’t recall the reporter’s name or his newspaper (Ottawa Citizen?) but that name stuck after the widespread media attention that week. Later it was decided by the team directors to formally adopt the nickname.

"Cold" has always been the theme associated with the name and this lines up with it. Igloos, polar bears, ice, etc.

Not headdresses, war chants, caricature logos, tomahawk chops, indigenous mascots, etc, etc, etc that is THE feature of teams in other leagues with indigenous names/references. Unlike the other organizations where the things that people might be offended by are all slapping you in the face, taking offence to the name "Eskimos" actually takes a little bit of work.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Haha I said yesterday not to expect much from the presser but it was even more awkward than I imagined it would be. He’s definitely not comfortable in that type of setting.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fleming named president if they can get him.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Haha I said yesterday not to expect much from the presser but it was even more awkward than I imagined it would be. He’s definitely not comfortable in that type of setting.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fleming named president if they can get him.
Just watched it on TSN. Definitely not a public speaker but that’s not what he has to be good at. Signing cheques is skill #1 for him. Hiring a capable CEO is #2.

Curious why he went for the hobo chic look for a press conference. Sport coat and torn/ripped jeans over the knees and thighs. Interesting look.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
What a god-send this all is. Really was feeling like the end was nigh for both the franchise and by extension the entire league. The Eskimos are coming back are the crying and wailing from wokesters will be glorious, for the 5 minutes that it's worth paying attention to. Once those 5 minutes are up they can all be put on permanent ignore and we can forget this dark chapter ever happened.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I don't think this is accurate. They were the Eskimos right off the bat in 1949. I think that article you refer to was from much earlier in the 1900s in regards to a previous Edmonton team.

---
edited to add

Found a reference to it and it was actually Calgary reporter.

View attachment 901246

That definitely varies with my recollection! I’m recalling the times after WWII because the team was dissolved during the war.
However, I will look into it further to sort it out. Also, I would hate to give any Calgary reporter credit!
Thanks for pointing this out.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Just watched it on TSN. Definitely not a public speaker but that’s not what he has to be good at. Signing cheques is skill #1 for him. Hiring a capable CEO is #2.

Curious why he went for the hobo chic look for a press conference. Sport coat and torn/ripped jeans over the knees and thighs. Interesting look.
I don’t think he’ll be a really day to day hands on owner but I also don’t think he’s going to be an absent owner. He’s an astute businessman and he’s followed the CFL for a very long time so he has a pretty good idea about the league as well.

As for his clothing choice, I’ll just say I don’t think he does much of his own clothes shopping.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
"Cold" has always been the theme associated with the name and this lines up with it. Igloos, polar bears, ice, etc.

Not headdresses, war chants, caricature logos, tomahawk chops, indigenous mascots, etc, etc, etc that is THE feature of teams in other leagues with indigenous names/references. Unlike the other organizations where the things that people might be offended by are all slapping you in the face, taking offence to the name "Eskimos" actually takes a little bit of work.
I understand and get that Nathan Obed suffered some bad discrimination when he was growing up and beyond, etc. Lots of brutal indigenous references likely. And he's been badly scarred from it, I get that too. But going after the Eskimos name is a bit of a reach, IMO, and seems like an off handed way for him to find some peace in his own personal issues. I seriously doubt anyone called him Eskimo back in the day to "get at him". And on the off chance they did call him that, I doubt they made any kind of connection that it was hurtful or discriminatory. Hell, I doubt 99.9 % of the population knew the name as anything discriminatory. As has been said so many times, exactly the opposite. Almost like calling the team "Braves". Far too many other easier at hand discriminatory and bad names to call an indigenous person.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I thought his wife looked reasonably hot in that dress and also a little younger. You and I and a few others on here are at an age where we can likely identify with that, so I'll leave it at that.:D

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Pretty basic introductory presser, a man of few words, that’s fine, it’s usually the eloquent shysters you need to be leery of. His business acumen is hiring the best people and then letting them do their jobs, hoping he finds the right group for us. Not thrilled that RL appears to still be driving the bus at this point, hopefully that’s just temporary. And just about gagged a few times when hearing about what a great job our BOD did in destroying the franchise. I know it’s the usual crap you have to say in situations like this, but still gross. Hoping for a very successful new beginning for this once iconic franchise.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Pretty basic introductory presser, a man of few words, that’s fine, it’s usually the eloquent shysters you need to be leery of. His business acumen is hiring the best people and then letting them do their jobs, hoping he finds the right group for us. Not thrilled that RL appears to still be driving the bus at this point, hopefully that’s just temporary. And just about gagged a few times when hearing about what a great job our BOD did in destroying the franchise. I know it’s the usual crap you have to say in situations like this, but still gross. Hoping for a very successful new beginning for this once iconic franchise.
I agree.
I actually like that LT was a little out of his element in that presser. It suggests to me that he bought the team for the right reasons...he loves the team and wants to return it to its previous status as the flagship franchise in the CFL.
That includes a rebrand/name change.

Just listend to part of Ewanik and Gazzolas coverage on EST. Iwanik is convinced that Bots took over and pumped up the vote totals for Eskimos. I havent listened to him much at all but for him to make a claim like that suggests that he really is an idiot....or maybe blinded by his own extreme level of wokeness.
He basically suggested that Bots were be programmed to isolate on a name change in Dusitn Neilsons twitter feed and they succesfully influenced the vote to change the team name to Eskimos.
I stopped listening after that.

Last edited:
  • Haha

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I understand and get that Nathan Obed suffered some bad discrimination when he was growing up and beyond, etc. Lots of brutal indigenous references likely. And he's been badly scarred from it, I get that too. But going after the Eskimos name is a bit of a reach, IMO, and seems like an off handed way for him to find some peace in his own personal issues. I seriously doubt anyone called him Eskimo back in the day to "get at him". And on the off chance they did call him that, I doubt they made any kind of connection that it was hurtful or discriminatory. Hell, I doubt 99.9 % of the population knew the name as anything discriminatory. As has been said so many times, exactly the opposite. Almost like calling the team "Braves". Far too many other easier at hand discriminatory and bad names to call an indigenous person.

I'm in my 30's and in school the teacher had to constantly remind us that the correct term was "Inuit" now, as the textbooks still used "Eskimo" incessantly as the official term.

Became offensive around the late 90's/early 2000's I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad