CFL 2024

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
The Stingers and Riverhawks provide great entertainment.
I'm not around during the summer, so it's whatever is on TV for me. At this point I really have no interest in the CFL, haven't paid really any attention to it. And honestly that makes me sad. But I will try to force myself out of a sense of duty to try to get back into it. It's just not a very lovable league or team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I'm not around during the summer, so it's whatever is on TV for me. At this point I really have no interest in the CFL, haven't paid really any attention to it. And honestly that makes me sad. But I will try to force myself out of a sense of duty to try to get back into it. It's just not a very lovable league or team.
I probably couldn't name you more than 10 guys on the team for this year. And it amazes me to see all the other names in the league that I do recognize playing for other teams. It's a carousel that goes round and round. Pretty good way to help kill any interest in following a team.

Reactions: bellagiobob

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I would think the elk could use a promo like riders had back in their era of complete scrap.

I remember there being gas station and Safeway game ticket deals. With a purchase you got a ticket to the student section for something like ten bucks so even twenty no is maybe comparable.

Designate a section and on game day just sell those tickets cheap and people can come for food and drink. Maybe watch a game if they want.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I would think the elk could use a promo like riders had back in their era of complete scrap.

I remember there being gas station and Safeway game ticket deals. With a purchase you got a ticket to the student section for something like ten bucks so even twenty no is maybe comparable.

Designate a section and on game day just sell those tickets cheap and people can come for food and drink. Maybe watch a game if they want.
At this point I would just about let anyone in for free that actually wants to go to a game. Make your money on concessions. Was interesting reading about the Lions 50 cent promo, where they were bragging about having a sellout and a new breed of football fans being born, and then at least half the fans left the stadium before halftime.

Reactions: K1984

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

First of all, I’ve lived through a few eras of complete “scrap” so I don’t know which one you are referring to, but I remember the promos that you could pay for the seasons tix with a load of wheat to the Wheat Pool Elevator. Those were dark days.

What would the equivalent be in todays’s CFL and Canada?

Bring a tonne of carbon capture in and get a free Pepsi drink (regular value 6.99, with paper straw?)

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I probably couldn't name you more than 10 guys on the team for this year. And it amazes me to see all the other names in the league that I do recognize playing for other teams. It's a carousel that goes round and round. Pretty good way to help kill any interest in following a team.
The carousel on the defensive side of the ball remains a serious problem.

I looked at the highlights from the Toronto game again last night and apart from the broken coverages there were so many guys trying to arm tackle out there...but that has been a problem for the last few seasons.

Untimely penalties certainly don't help either.

That said, at least the EE aren't giving up 60 points a game so there is room for optimism. Best to keep most of the gang together for the rest of the season in the hope of the team gelling and forming some sort of cohesive unit.

The problem is that we don't know if there will be future seasons. Still waiting to hear something wrt what Richards said entering the season--that something was in the works so we will stay tuned for the Messiah to arrive.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I really hope that Katz buys the team. He has very deep pockets and the EE annual loss is just loose change in his pockets.

Promote the football club along side the Oilers.

Financial stability over the long term for both the Oilers and the Elkimos.

And with a cash injection, deep six this BOD and quite possibly the GM. No money worries now.

Lets hope it gets done ASAP.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I really hope that Katz buys the team. He has very deep pockets and the EE annual loss is just loose change in his pockets.

Promote the football club along side the Oilers.

Financial stability over the long term for both the Oilers and the Elkimos.

And with a cash injection, deep six this BOD and quite possibly the GM. No money worries now.

Lets hope it gets done ASAP.
I really wish the league would get rid of the archaic operations cap. Doesn't matter who the owner is, our hands are really tied with regards to firing Jones.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I really wish the league would get rid of the archaic operations cap. Doesn't matter who the owner is, our hands are really tied with regards to firing Jones.
I was really speaking about the end of the season.

Even if this private sale story is true, there won't be any major changes until 2025.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
Coaches under the cap is just crazy. I understand they want to control things but there needs to be a way out as it it known coaches can get fired a lot.

Most CFL teams should be a part of some ownership group. If not a big team like the oilers then a group that owns some minor teams. Being able to run ticket salesm and basic operations in a group would help for a league where every dollar literally matters

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad