CFL 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Way to go, I still have the other three CFL games to go. Can't remember what they are but two are Overs. And Calgary to cover or win??

Not sure if it makes sense for the Riverhawks to own the Elks as they are competing for the same dollars at the same time.

He has always teams that lived on the edge, smack them in the mouth type defences. In the past his defenses could handle the penalties they incurred. But he doesn't have the players now.

I'm not sure it does either, but the Riverhawks schedule is short (10 weeks June to mid-August) so the overlap may be 4 or 5 CFL home games at most, and in future years they can probably try to minimize times when they play at the exact same time. They can use each other though for cross promotion and maybe sell 2 for 1 packages where a ticket to one gives you admission to a game with the other.

This year specifically there will be 3 times where both teams are playing at home at the same time (maybe 4 if Riverhawks have a home playoff game on August 11).

Last edited:
Reactions: bellagiobob

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I'm not sure it does either, but the Riverhawks schedule is short (10 weeks June to mid-August) so the overlap may be 4 or 5 CFL home games at most, and in future years they can probably try to minimize times when they play at the exact same time. They can use each other though for cross promotion and maybe sell 2 for 1 packages where a ticket to one gives you admission to a game with the other.

This year specifically there will be 3 times where both teams are playing at home at the same time (maybe 4 if Riverhawks have a home playoff game on August 11).
So not a major crossover

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I thought about this as well but if you own both teams either way those dollars are going in your pocket and controlling both allows you to mitigate and control the competition and as you mentioned promotionally there would be advantages and likely operationally as well.

Randy and Ryan Gregg have put a lot of time and effort into getting the Riverhawks off the ground though and they’ve got real good traction in the market. I’m not sure if they’d want to risk that momentum after all the hard work.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra would say. Untimely penalties and a handful of bonehead coaching decisions lose another game.

Here's one I just don't get at all...could have called timeout late in the first half before BC took the lead with a FG and given themselves 30 seconds to try and respond, with the ball at the 40. Instead they elect to simply let time run off and run one token play with seconds remaining. It's not like the offense is poor, there's a very reasonable chance they could have picked up 25 yards and attempted a kick.

Imagine losing a game by 3 points and you basically declined to use one of your possessions. Insane. If that isn't the sign of a head coach that has completely checked out, I don't know what is.

Tactically the defense looks atrocious now after looking passable in the first two games. Holding BC to 24 was a minor miracle, and really it was overthrows/drops that stopped most of their unsuccessful possessions. Too bad MBT wasted a red zone trip with a brutal pick, a TD there probably would have been enough to win. Would be nice to see Ford see the field even a single time...MBT has been ok (just ok, no better) and is 0-4 nonetheless...what are the Elks now, 0-12 over the last two seasons when Ford doesn't start? Hmmm...

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra would say. Untimely penalties and a handful of bonehead coaching decisions lose another game.

Here's one I just don't get at all...could have called timeout late in the first half before BC took the lead with a FG and given themselves 30 seconds to try and respond, with the ball at the 40. Instead they elect to simply let time run off and run one token play with seconds remaining. It's not like the offense is poor, there's a very reasonable chance they could have picked up 25 yards and attempted a kick.

Imagine losing a game by 3 points and you basically declined to use one of your possessions. Insane. If that isn't the sign of a head coach that has completely checked out, I don't know what is.

Tactically the defense looks atrocious now after looking passable in the first two games. Holding BC to 24 was a minor miracle, and really it was overthrows/drops that stopped most of their unsuccessful possessions. Too bad MBT wasted a red zone trip with a brutal pick, a TD there probably would have been enough to win. Would be nice to see Ford see the field even a single time...MBT has been ok (just ok, no better) and is 0-4 nonetheless...what are the Elks now, 0-12 over the last two seasons when Ford doesn't start? Hmmm...

Jones dislike for Ford is almost comical at this point. But mainly it’s just sad.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Jones dislike for Ford is almost comical at this point. But mainly it’s just sad.

The Elks now have an 8-32 record under Jones v2.0. Tre Ford is personally 5-7, the others are 3-25. I can't decide if it's more unbelievable that a QB could manage that good of a record with this organization, or that he can't get on the field in spite of it. If winning wasn't everything to Len Rhoads, it's entirely irrelevant to Chris Jones. Hard to fathom a coach could decline this badly in just a few years.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The Elks now have an 8-32 record under Jones v2.0. Tre Ford is personally 5-7, the others are 3-25. I can't decide if it's more unbelievable that a QB could manage that good of a record with this organization, or that he can't get on the field in spite of it. If winning wasn't everything to Len Rhoads, it's entirely irrelevant to Chris Jones. Hard to fathom a coach could decline this badly in just a few years.

Jones has a clinical problem admitting he’s wrong. I think he could be good if he actually lands on the right players with his initial moves, but he can’t get out of his own way if his first attempt didn’t work.

I am probably in the minority thinking that Tre Ford has limited true #1 potential. Im not theoretically against hedging a bet on him, but at the same time Ray Charles could see that the offense is much more effective when he’s behind C.

It’s at the point now where Jones is nearly deliberately losing games to prove some sort of bizarre point.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
When Jones was hired my first reaction was that there would be a very solid defense but a limited offence.

Well, I was right on the 2nd count but didn't do too well on the first.

The D has shown some signs of stability. Lewis and Purifoy are decent DBs and there seems to be some improvement in the speed of the linebacker core but the whole D always seems to be so poorly positioned on the field and they have no idea where the other guy is. The long bombs aren't as prevalent as they were the last 2 seasons but crossing patterns and curl patterns seem to be so difficult to stop.

Penalties are another story but again when you are turning over the roster every year then these things are going to be more common. So many guys don't seem to know the rules but how does a long term veteran like MBT seem to have so much trouble with the clock?

All I can see now is to stick with the same roster and hope that these guys coalesce and pick up a few wins later in the season. Like I said before, 2 more losses and its already next year territory.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Jones has a clinical problem admitting he’s wrong. I think he could be good if he actually lands on the right players with his initial moves, but he can’t get out of his own way if his first attempt didn’t work.

I am probably in the minority thinking that Tre Ford has limited true #1 potential. Im not theoretically against hedging a bet on him, but at the same time Ray Charles could see that the offense is much more effective when he’s behind C.

It’s at the point now where Jones is nearly deliberately losing games to prove some sort of bizarre point.

He just can't accept that the fans were right about his buddy McAdoo being a brutal OC and his son Corn being an awful QB. The only way he can get even is by refusing to play the QB that most of the few remaining fans want to see. Apparently this is what it looks like when a pro sports team slowly commits suicide.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Went for a round a golf with a good friend and his playing partner (a close friend to the Esks). Apparently the sale is there if the org/board pulls the trigger. Seems like no one knows who has the ultimate power to make the final approval on the really important things. Not Gregg according to this cat.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Went for a round a golf with a good friend and his playing partner (a close friend to the Esks). Apparently the sale is there if the org/board pulls the trigger. Seems like no one knows who has the ultimate power to make the final approval on the really important things. Not Gregg according to this cat.
I didn't think the Esks had too many close friends anymore so this is good news.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Did the name Thompson happen to come up?

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
When Jones was hired my first reaction was that there would be a very solid defense but a limited offence.

Well, I was right on the 2nd count but didn't do too well on the first.

The D has shown some signs of stability. Lewis and Purifoy are decent DBs and there seems to be some improvement in the speed of the linebacker core but the whole D always seems to be so poorly positioned on the field and they have no idea where the other guy is. The long bombs aren't as prevalent as they were the last 2 seasons but crossing patterns and curl patterns seem to be so difficult to stop.

Penalties are another story but again when you are turning over the roster every year then these things are going to be more common. So many guys don't seem to know the rules but how does a long term veteran like MBT seem to have so much trouble with the clock?

All I can see now is to stick with the same roster and hope that these guys coalesce and pick up a few wins later in the season. Like I said before, 2 more losses and its already next year territory.

We've been saying for at least a couple years now that they need to just settle on some players and coach them up on the defensive side of the ball. Sometimes it takes a good player 20 pro games to actually become that good player, but precious few seem to be afforded that chance. The poor positioning observation is spot-on...every possession practically we're seeing receivers wide open in the middle of the field while four defenders cover nobody. Bad scheming or inexperienced players? Could be both.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
We've been saying for at least a couple years now that they need to just settle on some players and coach them up on the defensive side of the ball. Sometimes it takes a good player 20 pro games to actually become that good player, but precious few seem to be afforded that chance. The poor positioning observation is spot-on...every possession practically we're seeing receivers wide open in the middle of the field while four defenders cover nobody. Bad scheming or inexperienced players? Could be both.
No doubt about it.

As I said before the season started, only 2 players on the defense (Morgan and Purifoy) have 2 years or more experience in the CFL. The rest are all rookies or sophomores.

There's no point in bringing in new players every week in the hope of a significantly better result.

The Bombers have done very well in the last 5 years (not counting this season) because they have managed to keep a core group of players together on the field and the Bombers had to deal with a salary cap--just like the Eskies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Jones revolving door of players is either due to his lack of ability to spot CFL level talent or his inability/impatience to develop those players, take your pick.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I just noticed there aren’t any games scheduled today. It doesn’t seem that long ago that the CFL was a staple of Canada Day. There’s a lot of reasons why this league is in the toilet. Abandoning traditions doesn’t seem to be the answer to fixing any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Portugal vs Slovenia
    KNOCKOUT Portugal vs Slovenia
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $28,564.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00