CFL 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Just read that the Elks have been sold privately. I'm guessing OEG. Just the timing of the news makes me think it is.
I was thinking the same at first, but it's probably just as likely that they didn't want this to go down in the middle on the playoff run where it would be delegated to the bottom of the news feeds.

Regardless of who it is, I'm anxious to find out.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
I was thinking the same at first, but it's probably just as likely that they didn't want this to go down in the middle on the playoff run where it would be delegated to the bottom of the news feeds.

Kevin Karius Show this morning said it is a 0% chance it’s the OEG.

Reactions: bone

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Kevin Karius Show this morning said it is a 0% chance it’s the OEG.
Is Karius “connected” enough to be legitimately calling this? Anytime I’ve listened to him he seems like a recent graduate of a Broadcast school that advertises in the back of a comic book. He doesn’t appear to be plugged in to me but maybe I’m all wet about him.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
Is Karius “connected” enough to be legitimately calling this? Anytime I’ve listened to him he seems like a recent graduate of a Broadcast school that advertises in the back of a comic book. He doesn’t appear to be plugged in to me but maybe I’m all wet about him.
He said and I quote “I was told” and couldn’t tell you his connections but I would assume he’s made some.

Reactions: brentashton

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I'm not so sure how connected he is, but I'd suspect he's at least connected enough that he wouldn't go as far to say 0% chance unless he was hearing it from a quality source.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Hopefully the new owner isn't some guy who sells GICs by cold calling little old ladies.

• Haha

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
He said and I quote “I was told” and couldn’t tell you his connections but I would assume he’s made some.
Thanks.

Well, rule number one of journalism is when you are told something, get it corroborated by a second source before saying it’s the truth (or in this case 0% chance).

I’m not saying he’s wrong, just more curious how trustworthy his reporting is/has been in the past.

Wonder what Michael Largue is up to these days.
OMG have not thought of that name for a long time.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG

I am as well.. Regardless of who buys, they're already behind with that low energy CFL commissioner running the league. I blame the other owners for not dumping Ambrosie long ago. Surprised Doman, MLSE and MTL's new owner (Videotron) haven't given him the boot.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Wonder what Michael Largue is up to these days.
I had completely forgotten this story. Unfortunately for the CFL, this type of guy is all too common in their history. I think Doug Flutie is still waiting to get paid by Larry Ryckman.

I still hope its Katz, you know he has significant cash.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
So free sump pump rental with EE ticket purchase?
Probably free EE tickets with a bundle of gloves, soap, towels and a pump purchase.

If you go to google maps and look at 156 St and 145 Ave NW you will see their new logistics centre where they have room to store lots of water pumps and bathroom fixtures over 200,000 items.
They supply almost everything to keep you business running. Lights, cleaning equipment, paint, whatever.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Probably free EE tickets with a bundle of gloves, soap, towels and a pump purchase.

They supply almost everything to keep you business running. Lights, cleaning equipment, paint, whatever.
Well, perhaps that is ok in a blue collar town like Edmonton.

I just think that these days you need very deep pockets to own a sports team. Montreal, Calgary owners both billionaires. Still a couple of public owned teams like the Bombers and the Riders so I guess we will see how this works out.

Can't see a new stadium in Edmonton without a very rich owner but that's ok--don't need a new one anyway.

No matter who buys the club its a huge challenge to turn around the perception in Edmonton that the Elks are little league.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Well, perhaps that is ok in a blue collar town like Edmonton.

I just think that these days you need very deep pockets to own a sports team. Montreal, Calgary owners both billionaires. Still a couple of public owned teams like the Bombers and the Riders so I guess we will see how this works out.

Can't see a new stadium in Edmonton without a very rich owner but that's ok--don't need a new one anyway.

No matter who buys the club its a huge challenge to turn around the perception in Edmonton that the Elks are little league.
If I was a billionaire I would not be investing in the CFL.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
If I was a billionaire I would not be investing in the CFL.
Haha--neither would I.

I guess my point is that if you want to own the Eskies then you might have to absorb a multi-million dollar loss for a number of years--hence the necessity for very deep pockets.

The days of guys like Larry Ryckman, Peter Pocklington and Nelson Skalbania owning football/hockey sports franchises are long gone.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
First of all, I’ve lived through a few eras of complete “scrap” so I don’t know which one you are referring to, but I remember the promos that you could pay for the seasons tix with a load of wheat to the Wheat Pool Elevator. Those were dark days.

What would the equivalent be in todays’s CFL and Canada?

Bring a tonne of carbon capture in and get a free Pepsi drink (regular value 6.99, with paper straw?)

*small Pepsi drink only

Sorry, still face palming over the Elks specifying a small pop only in one of their promos haha

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Haha--neither would I.

I guess my point is that if you want to own the Eskies then you might have to absorb a multi-million dollar loss for a number of years--hence the necessity for very deep pockets.

The days of guys like Larry Ryckman, Peter Pocklington and Nelson Skalbania owning football/hockey sports franchises are long gone.
Don't know if you saw my posts earlier on about a sale to some people in Stony/Spruce area. But the Elks couldn't get their paperwork in order in regards to debts. They gave them a deadline and Elks didn't respond. I have heard that the board is looking for a group or person manage the team for them and recently heard there is going to be a buyer. But if they are getting their books in order I don't see how a smart business person like Gregg or Katz or whomever 'buys' the team. So there might be an opportunity for another clown to own a team like Victor Cui

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Don't know if you saw my posts earlier on about a sale to some people in Stony/Spruce area. But the Elks couldn't get their paperwork in order in regards to debts. They gave them a deadline and Elks didn't respond. I have heard that the board is looking for a group or person manage the team for them and recently heard there is going to be a buyer. But if they are getting their books in order I don't see how a smart business person like Gregg or Katz or whomever 'buys' the team. So there might be an opportunity for another clown to own a team like Victor Cui

I see any buyer doing it for the love of the game/team solely. No competent business person would look at this as an actual investment with expectation of strong return.

It’s a passion play with a hope that if all goes well they don’t lose their shirt.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I see any buyer doing it for the love of the game/team solely. No competent business person would look at this as an actual investment with expectation of strong return.

It’s a passion play with a hope that if all goes well they don’t lose their shirt.
But at least with Katz, the loss is just a small tax credit to apply to the Financial Empire's tax return. It doesn't make much difference to the bottom line. It would just be a favor to the people in Edmonton who still care about the football team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad