Confirmed Trade: [PHI/EDM] Flyers trade 32OV pick for EDM top-12 protected 1st in 2025

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I don't think they necessarily are assuming anything...

They could just have seen that a prospect they liked was still available at 32 and decided it was worth it to trade for the lowest pick in the first round, no? Earlier picks would be more expensive after all.

Also, if he does turn out to be good and they decide to trade him anyway, they could get more for him at a later date, kind of like an investment.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Oilers just keep on taking L’s 😂
And how is that?

Their window is now, a prospect taken in 2024 is more likely to help them while they have McDavid and Draisaitl in their prime than a prospect from 2025 and 2026 would.

They are still able to trade their 2026 pick, and if necessary they still can trade the player they just took as well, as they did in the Ekholm trade.

It's a bit of an unusual gamble, but that's the extend of it. Declaring it a loss at this point is asinine to say the least. If they somehow fail to make the playoffs next year and the pick ends up 13th overall, there might be a disparity in value between that and Sam O'Reilly, but even that would not be much of an issue if O'Reilly pans out. And if it ends up being just a normal late first, then it even works in their favour, as the prospect they got is closer to the NHL than anyone they would pick later on.

Of course it could backfire, but that risk always exists. This season they took a gamble with the Brown contract, using a cap-penalty for next season to bring in a player who would be more useful than anyone they could have gotten with the league minimum they had otherwise remaining. It didn't work at all in the regular season, yet Brown was essential in getting them within one win of the Cup.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
This is what happens when there’s no GM in place to make a trade, seems the fresh loss from the cup has Edmonton betting on themselves.

The Oilers would have to win the Cup next season for them to win this deal.
Draft classes aren't equal. It's entirely possible that there are only 20 or so players in next year's draft who are better than O'Reilly will be.
But this is still a good move for the Flyers to make.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I don't like the move.

I understand the "really like the player" angle but the Oilers need that trade bait next year. And yes I get it, you can still trade OReilly next year at the TDL but then that makes this move seem even more dumb and useless.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its a weird trade but will have to wait how it turns out. Edmonton obviously valued the player much higher than 32.

The one thing this does though is paint a target on Jackson and Pracey. They could look really smart here or they could look really dumb.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I'm sorry, you think a prospect takes 5-6 years to maybe make the NHL? That's called a bust well before then.
It is irrelevant. He is probably 2 years away so the trade was stupid for Edmonton. Only makes sense if they trade a 1st to get a player that can contribute next season.

Thomas Tatar

They have a new director of scouting, the guy they wanted was still on the board. This is testing your new hire right away. I don’t mind it but Pracer better be right. Seems like a kid that could help in a couple years and plays the type of hockey we need at the moment.

As others have said, just because the pick is made, doesn’t mean the asset is gone. By all reports O’Reilly was hidden by better players and may break out this year. Could be worth more than a late first and could still be used in a trade to beef the team up.

It’s also a smart trade for Philly since they aren’t likely picking 32 in the near future so you get an upgrade.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Watching the Mem Cup this year, O'Reilly really stood out to me. Hunter kept putting O'Reilly out there at critical moments. When I saw their lineup, and I noticed that drafted prospects like Cowan and Barkey were NOT playing center, but this guy was, I just assumed he was a 20-year-old overager who has plenty of CHL experience. I was shocked to learn he was in this year's draft!

I think the Oilers envision him as a high-ceiling prospect and a high-upside No. 3 center behind the two superstars. Ryan McLeod's contract is up after 2024-25. If O'Reilly has the spike many expect, he could be the ELC center Edmonton needs as presently constructed.

I really liked this move and pick by Edmonton.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
This is what happens when there’s no GM in place to make a trade, seems the fresh loss from the cup has Edmonton betting on themselves.

Lmao, what...

So if O'Reilly turns out to be a solid middle 6 NHL forward and the pick the Oilers traded turns out to be a bust... The Oilers lose this deal?

That's quite the logic

Feb 5, 2016
Lmao, what...

So if O'Reilly turns out to be a solid middle 6 NHL forward and the pick the Oilers traded turns out to be a bust... The Oilers lose this deal?

That's quite the logic
If the Oilers win the cup, the Flyers are picking 32 in 2025 which means they don’t advance any further than they would have.

The post was also made before the conditions were known.

Evergreen

I think this is a smart move by the Flyers. Next year's draft is supposed to be deeper and the pick is guaranteed to be at least as high as 32, likely higher. Imagine McDavid misses significant time and the Oilers finish middle-of-the-pack.

Reactions: gump116

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Amazing trade for the Oil.

A draft pick this year is worth more than next year.

If the pick ends up being in the 20-32 range next year it doesn’t really matter. Value wise the Oilers got a kid they felt valued in that range anyways.

Plus this year you know for a fact you are getting a kid you like. Next year, who knows.

And Sam O Reilly is a complete stud. Oozes hockey IQ. Oozes star potential. Plays a complete 200 ft game. Super smart. Skilled. High motor. Garanteed NHLer.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

If they win the cup how do they win the deal? They give up a equal pick in a deeper draft

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $75.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $682.00