Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
What did people expect?

So far, we've gotten:

- A Vezina-winning goalie
- A top-4 defensive right-handed defenseman
- Two top-9 forwards to boost secondary scoring.

Got to do list:

-Resign Pinto
-Acquire bottom pairing dman
-Acquire 4th line forward
-Sign Ullmark if he’s willing to
-Trade Joseph for cap space

My roster so far:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Giroux
Norris-Pinto-Batherson
Perron-Greig-Amadio
Crookshank-Gregor-XXXX
MacEwen

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Jensen
Klevin-XXXX
Hamonic

Ullmark
Forsberg

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
They have a few options, depending on what the number is for Pinto. They can go with 12 forwards (subtract $775K for Crookshank, or $835 if it's MacEwen going down). If they need more space, they can try to move Joseph. And then there's the unknown with Norris's LTIR status.

The options are:
1. We are trading Pinto
2. We are low-balling Pinto.
3. Staios has backed himself into a corner by needing to trade Joseph (after signing Amadio)

Frankly, I don't like any of these options one bit. Chytil's contract of 5.38% of the cap (4.734 today) is a closest and fairest comp for Pinto given age, pedrigree, and production at the time of signing.

Reactions: SENStastic

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yes, it's definitely Dorion's fault that Staios signed Perron and left himself no room to sign Pinto. LOL
He has about 3-4x more room to sign Pinto than Dorion did, and thats with a full roster.
After giving Amadio/Perron 6.600, how in the hell are we going to fit Pinto under the cap?
It seems like he may very well get traded - and even then - for what? No one we get in return makes the peanuts we can afford.

FFS

View attachment 890829
Easy, you do what almost every team does abd you bridge your FA and dont carry two extra players all year.

Reactions: Dionysus

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
The options are:
1. We are trading Pinto
2. We are low-balling Pinto.
3. Staios has backed himself into a corner by needing to trade Joseph (after signing Amadio)

Frankly, I don't like any of these options one bit. Chytil's contract of 5.38% of the cap (4.734 today) is a closest and fairest comp for Pinto given age, pedrigree, and production at the time of signing.
Closest comparable… who signs 3yrs longer than minimum term and is arbitration eligible.

AKA there is no reason to expect his floor to be anywhere near Chytil’s #

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Should the trade rumours of Pinto be real and somehow he leaves, it will leave the team with no RH centers.

Sanderson, LHD...puck mover
Chabot, LHD... puck mover

LHC will receive passes from LHD on their backhand. And turn to their left, all the while their heads are over their shoulder looking at the Dman.... Can you say "blown up"?

Now Perron is an RHW, but plays the left side!!!! more passes on his backhand

Since the centers are all lefties, it becomes easier to pass to the RW... Luckily there, 3 are RH and are our #1, 2 and 4 RW. Joseph is our 3 and is RH.

Team construction!!!!! f***, pay attention to this.

Norris has injuries, Tim S. has injuries. And now, we open them up to being "blown up"...

BALANCE the F'ng team out. 2 puck moving LHDs, need 3 RHCs. And 3 bruising LH Left Wingers.

Our 3rd line will be Perron on the left (an RH), Joseph on the right (an LH), and Osta or Greig at center (LH). All the while, Chabot or Sanderson are carrying the puck (LHD).

WHO THE f*** WILL THEY PASS IT TO?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Getting real tired of your insults dude. Grow tf up.

That aside, stating that Norris and Chabot's health status is iffy, especially the former, is not being overly pessimistic at this point whatsoever, and Pinto's contract is very much still up in the air. This is a real thing, not my opinion.

Nothing else I said is remotely irrational. If you want to ignore the negative that's your choice.

Everything you've said is your opinion and not a real thing. It's all irrational because you are irrationally pessimistic at a time of the year that there's no need for it because it's all based upon assumptions.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
They're giving this core one last kick at the can before making the call to rebuild/retool.

We've added some depth pieces and improved goaltending which should make us more competitive, but our season will be riding on Brady/Stutzle/Norris/Sanderson/Chabot. That group is a big reason we're tight against the cap and unable to make moves, so at a certain point they have to step up. If it's another season of mediocrity, we'll probably see 1-2 of those guys shipped out next offseason.

Personally, I would have started shipping some of them out this offseason, but it looks like Andlauer/Staios want to give them one last shot.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
lol ok so apparently we're living in two different realities it seems.. I just don't agree with any of that aside from Jenzen being a better defender for the time being, but that's a temporary plug rn. And I didn't say Hamonis and Jenzen are the same kind players, I'm saying he's at the end of his career and his play will fall off quickly just like Hamonic did after his first year here.

We are indeed living in different realities.
You assume the worst based on extremely limited or no information and I’m looking at the positive side having the exact same amount of information.

Reactions: Masked

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Easy, you do what almost every team does abd you bridge your FA and dont carry two extra players all year.

Closest comparable… who signs 3yrs longer than minimum term and is arbitration eligible.

AKA there is no reason to expect his floor to be anywhere near Chytil’s #

Closest comparable on many levels (stats, age, pedigree). He just happened to sign a 4yr deal.

If you can find one that supports your 1yr deal, then feel free to post it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
After giving Amadio/Perron 6.600, how in the hell are we going to fit Pinto under the cap?
It seems like he may very well get traded - and even then - for what? No one we get in return makes the peanuts we can afford.

FFS

View attachment 890829
It certainly is tight again, but I expect Joseph to be traded for a pick & replaced internally by Ostapchuk. I don't mind most of the deals today except for Amadio, decent player but IMO we may have paid too much for what he brings & could have filled that role internally. Although you can't replace playoff experience & winning a cup, that has to be gained.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
With the short term guys we have on the team right now: Jensen, Perron, Giroux, Ullmark, I imagine the plan is to hope to be a bubble team this year and the next, maybe make a Cinderella type run, and if that fails get some assets at the deadline(s) and eventually go for a rebuild in about two years.

I think it's even more urgent that we play meaningful hockey in this tiny 2-yr window, because we might as well be in our next rebuild phase when up-and-coming teams like Montreal will be dominating.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They're giving this core one last kick at the can before making the call to rebuild/retool.

This is exactly it, except that I think Brady will make the call for them.

Ottawa is note a prime free agent destination. Staios inherited an asset poor team with minimal cap flexibility and most of the core a secondary players locked down with term. It's difficult to evaluate how well he did without knowing what all his options were, or knowing what he was offered for Chychrun at the draft or the trade deadline.

Given what he had to work with, he gave the team about as much of a makeover as he could give it without butchering the core.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

We've added some depth pieces and improved goaltending which should make us more competitive, but our season will be riding on Brady/Stutzle/Norris/Sanderson/Chabot. That group is a big reason we're tight against the cap and unable to make moves, so at a certain point they have to step up. If it's another season of mediocrity, we'll probably see 1-2 of those guys shipped out next offseason.

Personally, I would have started shipping some of them out this offseason, but it looks like Andlauer/Staois want to give them one last shot.

Gives them a season to evaluate the core players. See who steps up under new coaching and with some better constructed depth. No goalie excuse either.

If it doesn't work, big contracts will get moved out. There isn't really much more management could have done this off-season. Maybe trade out Joseph. Add a couple more depth pieces. 4th liner+ a dman.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Trading Joseph is key for signing Pinto.

They currently have money to sign Pinto to a market value bridge deal.

This isn't the same situation as earlier this season where we went into the season with the cap in a complete mess, and only had the money to sign Pinto to a six figure type contract.

The day also isn't over. I guess you can get technical and say their work is done at 3PM because that is when the press conference was scheduled, but it is possible that we may have another cap-affecting move or two. If it ends up a week from now, Pinto is an RFA and we don't have enough to sign him to a 2 year deal in the 3M range then yes, they mismanaged the cap.

I think right now they are left with three pieces in the 2.5M-3.0M range that they want to keep or add, and they have to give up on one.
1 - Joseph
2 - Pinto
3 - #5 D (Original target was apparently Edmundson).

With 4.4M in cap space and 2-4 roster spots to fill, keeping 2 of the 3 listed above and getting up to a 21-23 player roster is possible.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
With the short term guys we have on the team right now: Jensen, Perron, Giroux, Ullmark, I imagine the plan is to hope to be a bubble team this year and the next, maybe make a Cinderella type run, and if that fails get some assets at the deadline(s) and eventually go for a rebuild in about two years.

I think it's even more urgent that we play meaningful hockey in this tiny 2-yr window, because we might as well be in our next rebuild phase when up-and-coming teams like Montreal will be dominating.
This team is definitely trending towards a rebuild. We got ourselves a patch job instead of a longterm solution. Same boat as Calgary has been in forever.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Closest comparable on many levels (stats, age, pedigree). He just happened to sign a 4yr deal.

If you can find one that supports your 1yr deal, then feel free to post it.
I dont need a comparable to know that Pinto can sign a 1yr deal, nor to know that short RFA deals cost less than mid/long ones.

AFP projected him around 5.2m on a 5yr deal, $3m on a 2yr deal. Unless you have a better model, there you go: he fits on a 21 man roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad