CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think that this is pretty easy.
Just reach out to the Western Northern people and ask them.
If the previous poll is any indication they were overwhemlingly in favor of the team being named the Eskimos. In addition offer up some community involvement from the team in these Northern communities. Provide them with a hands on connection to the team.

Not everyone is going to like it and thats okay. They can deal with it themsleves.
No more imposing views on everyone else just because someone considers it to be offensive.
I'm not sure they even need to dig it up and do a new poll now. The one from a few years ago should be more than enough ammo for a guy with the balls to use it.

I'm in my 30's and in school the teacher had to constantly remind us that the correct term was "Inuit" now, as the textbooks still used "Eskimo" incessantly as the official term.

Became offensive around the late 90's/early 2000's I guess.
And no problem, they are Inuit and can be Inuit forever. But our football team is the Eskimos.:D

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm not sure they even need to dig it up and do a new poll now. The one from a few years ago should be more than enough ammo for a guy with the balls to use it.

And no problem, they are Inuit and can be Inuit forever. But our football team is the Eskimos.:D
Agreed--why bother with a new poll when you know that no matter what is said, people (pro or con) are not going to change their positions anyway. This stuff is really getting old.

I am out of this "name change" discussion and I did myself a favor this morning---I put all people who are not EE fans (and show up here to just to aggravate others) on "ignore." I hope they will do the same for me. Who needs it?

If you never watch the games and don't want to talk football then please check out.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The offensive line will be under siege tonight.

The T-Cats know that MBT doesn't have any mobility and can't throw very well on the run so they are going to be coming with the house on multiple occasions.

I'm honestly expecting things to be fairly erratic on offense with MBT back at the controls, but he has generally managed to put points on the board by the time it's all said and done. Hamilton has been hugely mistake prone all season, if we can limit ourselves to one or two significant errors that should be enough to sway it.

Bottom line is, the private owner can name his team whatever he wants. He needs nobody's permission.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I'm honestly expecting things to be fairly erratic on offense with MBT back at the controls, but he has generally managed to put points on the board by the time it's all said and done. Hamilton has been hugely mistake prone all season, if we can limit ourselves to one or two significant errors that should be enough to sway it.

Bottom line is, the private owner can name his team whatever he wants. He needs nobody's permission.
There has been some improvement in the "stupid EE penalties" category so yes I am hoping the same.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
The f*** happened? I started making dinner and now there’s an ambulance on the field.

EDIT: I rewound TSN and Jesus Christ, that’s scary as f***.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Looked like Morgan's arm caught him on the neck/jaw and knocked him out. Seeing a neck brace isn't good though, maybe more serious than that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You seem to be equating democracy and direct democracy as the same thing. They are not, in most cases what we experience and live in is a representative democracy which means people are elected to them represent a group of people. He is representing his constituents, who will no doubt be split on this issue. He helped trigger a landslide that in the light of truth and reconciliation efforts was tough to ignore, and no way out was going to offer 100 percent satisfaction.

As for the Inuit and the Eskimo thin, I think that the position you are taking is the Inuit were never Eskimo’s so they don’t have a say. I think it’s ignoring reality, we in Canada called them eskimos for a long time, whether they were or not. For the most part thye don’t want the term used. I grew up in central Alberta, at that time we called the indigenous around us Indians and the ones up north Eskimo - neither were correct, and neither are done today.

Anyways, I’d love for all posts related to the team name to be banned, it always ends up where we are today. I do get where you are coming from, I do, I disagree with much of it though and wish we could just focus in the football club and not this subject.

I will refrain from responding on it moving forward as I know I’m contributing too.
I think that you are missing my point.
This issue is much too granular to expect proper respresentation from an elected leader.

It requires input from each indpendant individual. Much like a referendum.

That aside there are many examples of the definition of a word being misrepresented and according to (politically neutral) research others have done thats exactly whats happening here. Obed or any other 'leader' should not be able to dicate what a word means and how it is used/who it is applied to without being 100% sure that his interpretation acutally reflects objective reality.
Not his subjective reality.
If this was a genuine concern then Obed (as the leader of that segement of Inuit people) would take the time to make sure that he is in fact utilizing that word in the correct context and not using it in a politically loaded (incorrect) context.
Instead...as it often happens these days...words (and somtimes causes) are often used to maintain a political narrative that doesnt ultimately honor the best interest of the people being reprsented.
That is a whole other conversation not really appropriate to this thread.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Looked like Morgan's arm caught him on the neck/jaw and knocked him out. Seeing a neck brace isn't good though, maybe more serious than that.
Looked to me like he wrapped his arms around his neck and tackled him that way. Looked really dirty to me. I hope his neck isn’t broken.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Holy crap, Morgan just took out Powell. They're gonna boot him.

Apparently that's not what was being reviewed. I'm legit surprised neither hit/tackle was looked at.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That right there is why you’re supposed to slide when you have the first down. Morgan with another questionable hit. This time helmet to helmet.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Apparently that's not what was being reviewed. I'm legit surprised neither hit/tackle was looked at.

Morgan before kickoff:

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

Yeah, so am I. They had at least half an hour to review that first Morgan hit too. I was expecting them to come back after the delay and give Morgan a penalty and give the ball back to Hamilton. I can understand the refs on the field missing a call in real time but that’s what the command centre is supposed to be there for. Those guys only seem to show up when there’s an opportunity to manipulate the game and change the outcome.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah, so am I. They had at least half an hour to review that first Morgan hit too. I was expecting them to come back after the delay and give Morgan a penalty and give the ball back to Hamilton. I can understand the refs on the field missing a call in real time but that’s what the command centre is supposed to be there for. Those guys only seem to show up when there’s an opportunity to manipulate the game and change the outcome.

The command centre got their wrist slapped this week due to ongoing incompetence and now they're pouting over it.

Reactions: rboomercat90

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
The command centre has decided that they will no longer review certain calls by the refs. The CFL wants mistakes to be a part of the game.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Maybe the curse has finally been lifted???

Hamilton player has a sure TD, trips over his own teammate, next play is an INT, Edmonton comes back to score a TD on the next drive after a penalty by Hamilton.

This is amazing stuff.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Maybe the curse has finally been lifted???

Hamilton player has a sure TD, trips over his own teammate, next play is an INT, Edmonton comes back to score a TD on the next drive after a penalty by Hamilton.

This is amazing stuff.
Most of the stupid mistakes we were seeing earlier in the year that were costing them games seem to be gone now. That might be enough alone to turn it around. All the games have been close outside of that 1 Winnipeg game.

Is the new owner drunk?
First time I’ve heard him speak. He really seems like a very old man.

Reactions: brentashton

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Most of the stupid mistakes we were seeing earlier in the year that were costing them games seem to be gone now. That might be enough alone to turn it around. All the games have been close outside of that 1 Winnipeg game.

First time I’ve heard him speak. He really seems like a very old man.
Seems like things turned around one game after Jones was fired.

Suddenly look like a very good team with the best QB depth in the league lol.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Seems like things turned around one game after Jones was fired.

Suddenly look like a very good team with the best QB depth in the league lol.
As a Rider fan, I can attest that Doege as a 3-4 depth chart spot is accurate.

PS - don’t let him drive his truck to the gas pumps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad