CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I didn't mean to suggest he's not a good (or even great) reciever. Just seemed silly to keep on celebrating non-spectacular plays when the team was so out of sync all game.
If Lewis decides to bolt and go elsewhere next season then Beggelton would look good in green and gold but of course, the Stamps won't let their biggest star go anywhere.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
MBT had a very good game that would have been a great game if he had more production in the first half. I would definitely start him next game, but Jackson has to be of the mind to switch at times, regardless of the results to give the Stamps some different looks. You know they will make adjustments this week. Our receivers really look good, catching pretty much everything they are expected to, making a bunch of others they shouldn't make, and getting some real productive YAK's. I was a little pissed at Jones making the V sign as he ran down the sideline with the fumble. That little move probably cost him getting into the endzone, and if something bad would have happened, a lot of people on here would have been pissed at him. I'm sure someone will talk to him about that. He had another stellar game though, and picking up the fumble in the first place was really heads up, and shows he is a smart player.

And again, when the discussion turns to us not having much of a return game, it pisses me off a ton. We have one of the best returners in the league, arguably the best in Leake. he was fantastic when he was with the Argos returning kicks. USE HIM in that capacity please, Jackson. You have 2 other competent RB's to carry the rock and can spot Leake in there from time to time and change of pace.

Maier has a 10 cent head and absolutely not feel for the course of the game or what's happening during a play. He is nothing more than an average backup. But the longer Dickenson thinks he's something other than that, the better for us.
It sounds dumb questioning if you should start the QB who just threw for 500 yards his last game, but I think we need start thinking long term here. The odds still aren't in our favour to make the playoffs, and if we start MBT the next bunch of games until he falters and we are out of it, I'd say it's pretty much goodbye to Ford next year, he will go elsewhere. Plus I think Ford gives us a better chance to win the majority of the games the rest of the way, so best to let him shake off some rust against the pathetic Stamps. But I understand the other side of the equation as well, as MBT played really well last game.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Good receiver just the same. Not as good as when he left for the NFL but they never are when they come back home to Canada.

Easily the worst Stamp QB I have seen in many many years. Even as an aging player, BLM can still hit them on the long patterns--this guy can't.
Anytime the stamps QB had to throw it 30+ yards it was a perfect throw, right to an elks player.

• Haha
Reactions: bellagiobob

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
It sounds dumb questioning if you should start the QB who just threw for 500 yards his last game, but I think we need start thinking long term here. The odds still aren't in our favour to make the playoffs, and if we start MBT the next bunch of games until he falters and we are out of it, I'd say it's pretty much goodbye to Ford next year, he will go elsewhere. Plus I think Ford gives us a better chance to win the majority of the games the rest of the way, so best to let him shake off some rust against the pathetic Stamps. But I understand the other side of the equation as well, as MBT played really well last game.
I agree, if Ford is ready he should start the game. If Tre had started from game one we would be in first place right now.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
What if they tied one of those games?:D

Teams should keep that in mind, but in Hamilton's case they've already won 2 of the 3 so differential wasn't a factor.

If Lewis decides to bolt and go elsewhere next season then Beggelton would look good in green and gold but of course, the Stamps won't let their biggest star go anywhere.

I think you could see a major shuffling of the deck in Calgary this off-season. Even though they made playoffs last year, they did so as a 6-12 team. If they finish with 6 or less again and finish last in the West, everything would be on the table and next year would be full on rebuild.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

I tried running some scenarios yesterday and found that Edmonton winning out the string here would lead to a clinched playoff spot by virtue of the losses for other teams it creates as well as the other head-to-head western games.

However, losing even one game creates scenarios that lead to them missing. Especially if the loss was vs a Western team. Make no mistake, the team is playing well now but it's still a battle considering they are a full 2 games back with only 6 more to play.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I didn't realize Sask has gone 0-5-1

Couple wins in there and they'd be in a lot better playoff position, now fighting to stay alive
Strangely hot and cold team. Some of the early wins had some luck and now some of their losses have been due to bad luck.

Coming into the season I expected them to be a 7-10 win team (and I suspect most people had them in the same range) but many bought the hype after they started hot (much like they did last year as well). They're still projecting to fall in line where they should have, they've just done so in the manner that pisses fan bases off more.

Kind of the opposite of the Elks where their 5-1 start had people thinking they were a powerhouse, where Edmonton starting 0-7 made people think they were in line with some of the worst teams in history.

However, looking at the actual games, there wasn't a true 5 game margin between the quality of both teams. It will be interesting to see where they end up as coming in I would have expected Edmonton and Saskatchewan to be battling for the western road playoff spot and it looks like that may end up being the case, but with both teams taking opposite paths to get there.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Strangely hot and cold team. Some of the early wins had some luck and now some of their losses have been due to bad luck.

Coming into the season I expected them to be a 7-10 win team (and I suspect most people had them in the same range) but many bought the hype after they started hot (much like they did last year as well). They're still projecting to fall in line where they should have, they've just done so in the manner that pisses fan bases off more.

Kind of the opposite of the Elks where their 5-1 start had people thinking they were a powerhouse, where Edmonton starting 0-7 made people think they were in line with some of the worst teams in history.

However, looking at the actual games, there wasn't a true 5 game margin between the quality of both teams. It will be interesting to see where they end up as coming in I would have expected Edmonton and Saskatchewan to be battling for the western road playoff spot and it looks like that may end up being the case, but with both teams taking opposite paths to get there.

I can't ever believe any hype for teams that have Trevor Harris as QB. IMO he's probably the worst "good" QB I've ever seen. He has a weak arm, average accuracy, average agility, average everything pretty much. Meanwhile he's over 30,000 passing yards which I think puts him top 15 all time. I can't check because apparently the CFL doesn't make this information easily to find past the top 10, but it's in that range.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I can't ever believe any hype for teams that have Trevor Harris as QB. IMO he's probably the worst "good" QB I've ever seen. He has a weak arm, average accuracy, average agility, average everything pretty much. Meanwhile he's over 30,000 passing yards which I think puts him top 15 all time. I can't check because apparently the CFL doesn't make this information easily to find past the top 10, but it's in that range.

Couldn't like this comment enough. Harris to me will always be the king of mediocre quarterbacks. He'll put up great yardage counts (when healthy), win enough games to ensure your team is competitive, seems like generally a good guy in the dressing room, but not the guy you want to be going into a season with Cup aspirations with.

It's really too bad he couldn't have recognized earlier what he could have truly been special at, which is being an elite 2nd arm to help develop a young QB. Have him start 6-10 games with a young QB starting the others and he probably could really help that QB become great, but instead he seems to hold on to the belief that he can be an 18 game everyday elite starter and seems less interested in helping develop the next guy. He should have been like a Tom Wilkinson to a Warren Moon (while being obviously a different style than Wilkie).

This approach likely would have served him well into joining the coaching ranks one day as well.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Yup. He’s the Manilli Vanilli of CFL QBs.

Faking his way to get substantial radio airplay. Everyone else figured him to be the “act” he is except Jeremy O.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly though going into the year the CFL wasn't exactly that stacked at QB.

Now with Kelly and Rourke back the position has definitely stabilized, but for me going into the year it was kinda like sure he wasn't what I'd consider good but his competition wasn't exactly good either.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Honestly though going into the year the CFL wasn't exactly that stacked at QB.

Now with Kelly and Rourke back the position has definitely stabilized, but for me going into the year it was kinda like sure he wasn't what I'd consider good but his competition wasn't exactly good either.

You're not wrong, it's probably the weakest crops of QBs in the CFL in my lifetime. Typically across the league you would have 2-3 solid/elite QB's, 2-3 mediocre QB's and 2-3 shitty QBS and the standings would sort themselves out accordingly.

Now?

Rourke - elite in theory (he's stunk since he's been back, but its obviously early)
Adams - solid
Meier - Shitty
MBT - Mediocre
Ford - Mediocre with elite unrealized potential
Harris - Mediocre
Collaros - Mediocre (could argue formerly elite)
Bo Levi - Mediocre (formerly elite)
Kelly - elite in theory, but a dickhead that very well may fizzle out
Fajardo - Mediocre (I just can't bring myself to call him elite)
Whoever is in Ottawa - I have no idea, but probably shitty

It's no surprise that over the past few seasons a lot of these guys have just played musical chairs around the league because they're similar versions to each other. "Fajardo isn't working out, may as well see what Harris can do."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was pretty curious on this myself.

Even with a close loss I think there probably was enough interest to get numbers back close to that 30k.

The last few weeks the Esks have started being talked a lot a whole helluva lot more than they have in a long time. And in a good way.

I have no idea what the hell was going on behind the scenes with the Esks, but now that there is a new owner local media has sure been talking a lot more about the club. Gregor eluded to how there are a lot of changes needed from the top down, but I never really fully understood what they could be. The board is one thing, but made it sound like there is a lot more behind the scenes to blame for the clubs lack of financial success.

Especially when he started making comparisons to what the Riverhawks are doing.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
You're not wrong, it's probably the weakest crops of QBs in the CFL in my lifetime. Typically across the league you would have 2-3 solid/elite QB's, 2-3 mediocre QB's and 2-3 shitty QBS and the standings would sort themselves out accordingly.

Now?

Rourke - elite in theory (he's stunk since he's been back, but its obviously early)
Adams - solid
Meier - Shitty
MBT - Mediocre
Harris - Mediocre

It's no surprise that over the past few seasons a lot of these guys have just played musical chairs around the league because they're similar versions to each other. "Fajardo isn't working out, may as well see what Harris can do."

The league is in a bit of a transition the last two years as they kept trotting out the same old guys for the previous 5-8 years. I think over 23 QBs started a game last year and already 20 have again this year (with a 21st having taken significant snaps and having started games last year in Crum).

I think we're going to see some of these younger guys break out and you'll be looking at 3-5 pretty strong if not elite guys as soon as next year.

PS. The Ottawa quarterback is Dru Brown who's only brought his team from perenial basement dweller to a 7-3-1 record (6-3-1 with him as starter) and putting up pretty decent stats for his first year as full time starter. He's certainly not elite yet, but is showing a lot of potential to win games partly because he doesn't give up the ball often (lowest INT% in the league). The fact he's doing it with a team where QBs have gone to die over the last 5 years gives me hope he may be a keeper.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The league is in a bit of a transition the last two years as they kept trotting out the same old guys for the previous 5-8 years. I think over 23 QBs started a game last year and already 20 have again this year (with a 21st having taken significant snaps and having started games last year in Crum).

I think we're going to see some of these younger guys break out and you'll be looking at 3-5 pretty strong if not elite guys as soon as next year.

PS. The Ottawa quarterback is Dru Brown who's only brought his team from perenial basement dweller to a 7-3-1 record (6-3-1 with him as starter) and putting up pretty decent stats for his first year as full time starter. He's certainly not elite yet, but is showing a lot of potential to win games partly because he doesn't give up the ball often (lowest INT% in the league). The fact he's doing it with a team where QBs have gone to die over the last 5 years gives me hope he may be a keeper.

Thanks for the info on Ottawa's starter, and I'm so out of the loop I had no idea that their record was that strong. I've only started to catch up on the CFL so to speak over the past couple of weeks now that the busyness of summer has slowed down and more time to watch CFL is available.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Now?

Adams - solid
Meier - Shitty
MBT - Mediocre
Harris - Mediocre

Still wish the CFL would realize this and take a page out of what the XFL was doing having a league wide quarterback coaching system

The CFL is pulling guys from a completely different game and it takes time to develop QB's that can understand the CFL.

With a management cap teams simply don't have the resources to truly scout a player on and off the field. So either the league needs to invest money into QB's or get rid of the management cap

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The new and rejuvenated Eskies team should sign their stars to longer deals and shoot for 30k in attendance for a home game. Looks like the latter is coming true this weekend.

Isn't it amazing how some wins and renewed enthusiasm brings people back out. The ship is finally turning around.
It really seems like Jones was just that big of a cancer too.

I mean personnel wise what exactly has changed?

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Thanks for the info on Ottawa's starter, and I'm so out of the loop I had no idea that their record was that strong. I've only started to catch up on the CFL so to speak over the past couple of weeks now that the busyness of summer has slowed down and more time to watch CFL is available.

A great year to join it late. The stretch run is looking pretty compelling (at least in the west). Literally every team in the West has a chance to make playoffs. Arguably every team even has a chance to host a playoff game or even the Western Final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad