CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It really seems like Jones was just that big of a cancer too.

I mean personnel wise what exactly has changed?
Nothing because it was obvious even late last season that a bunch of young guys were coming on.

The team could just have easily started this 2024 season at 5-2 but Jone's intransigent attitudes just made things impossible.

Another difference is that the carousel seems to have ground to a halt. Anybody out there who thought that you can change half the roster every season--bring in a bunch of 23 year olds-- cut your experienced veterans-- and put together a good team ---was simply dreaming.

The Elks were basically an expansion franchise for the last 2 seasons but now the tide has turned.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It sounds dumb questioning if you should start the QB who just threw for 500 yards his last game, but I think we need start thinking long term here. The odds still aren't in our favour to make the playoffs, and if we start MBT the next bunch of games until he falters and we are out of it, I'd say it's pretty much goodbye to Ford next year, he will go elsewhere. Plus I think Ford gives us a better chance to win the majority of the games the rest of the way, so best to let him shake off some rust against the pathetic Stamps. But I understand the other side of the equation as well, as MBT played really well last game.
I guess my point is not to go "full Jones" and staple Ford to the bench no matter what. But regardless of how MBT is playing, put him in a few plays as a changeup, and also, don't wait for MBT to find his game. If he can't get it done early on, then put Ford in and see how that goes. As I mentioned, Calgary will be making a ton of adjustments to shut down our passing game, so this is where Jackson really earns his money.

Nothing because it was obvious even late last season that a bunch of young guys were coming on.

The team could just have easily started the season at 5-2 but Jone's intransigent attitudes just made things impossible.

Another difference is that the carousel seems to have ground to a halt. Anybody out there who thought that you can change half the roster every season--bring in a bunch of 23 year olds-- cut your experienced veterans-- and put together a good team ---were simply dreaming.

The Elks were basically an expansion franchise for the last 2 seasons but now the tide has turned.
And regarding the guys Jones brought in and kept changing out, we'll never know if they were useless to begin with, or just simply not given enough of a chance to get experience and grow. Either way, the fault is 100 % on him.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I didn't mean to suggest he's not a good (or even great) reciever. Just seemed silly to keep on celebrating non-spectacular plays when the team was so out of sync all game.
Kind of reminded me of Jake Ceresna, when he'd do the "roll" everytime he got a sack, regardless of the time of game, the opposition, or the score.

I tried running some scenarios yesterday and found that Edmonton winning out the string here would lead to a clinched playoff spot by virtue of the losses for other teams it creates as well as the other head-to-head western games.

However, losing even one game creates scenarios that lead to them missing. Especially if the loss was vs a Western team. Make no mistake, the team is playing well now but it's still a battle considering they are a full 2 games back with only 6 more to play.
No doubt, they've used up most of their mulligans, and considering they will be playing nearly exclusively all the teams they are in contention with the rest of the way, they may need to win about 5 more.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can't ever believe any hype for teams that have Trevor Harris as QB. IMO he's probably the worst "good" QB I've ever seen. He has a weak arm, average accuracy, average agility, average everything pretty much. Meanwhile he's over 30,000 passing yards which I think puts him top 15 all time. I can't check because apparently the CFL doesn't make this information easily to find past the top 10, but it's in that range.
Plus, he's one of the all time chokers out there. Game on the line, and it seems he'll find some way to flush it down the toilet.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I was pretty curious on this myself.

Even with a close loss I think there probably was enough interest to get numbers back close to that 30k.

The last few weeks the Esks have started being talked a lot a whole helluva lot more than they have in a long time. And in a good way.

I have no idea what the hell was going on behind the scenes with the Esks, but now that there is a new owner local media has sure been talking a lot more about the club. Gregor eluded to how there are a lot of changes needed from the top down, but I never really fully understood what they could be. The board is one thing, but made it sound like there is a lot more behind the scenes to blame for the clubs lack of financial success.

Especially when he started making comparisons to what the Riverhawks are doing.
Larry said first order of business was to start "winning." Looks like his team has taken that to heart. Unlike past regimes here where they said "winning isn't eveything", and put a lot of extra effort into making sure Vanilla Ice was promoted and looked after when he came here.

Last edited:

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
The league is in a bit of a transition the last two years as they kept trotting out the same old guys for the previous 5-8 years. I think over 23 QBs started a game last year and already 20 have again this year (with a 21st having taken significant snaps and having started games last year in Crum).

I think we're going to see some of these younger guys break out and you'll be looking at 3-5 pretty strong if not elite guys as soon as next year.

PS. The Ottawa quarterback is Dru Brown who's only brought his team from perenial basement dweller to a 7-3-1 record (6-3-1 with him as starter) and putting up pretty decent stats for his first year as full time starter. He's certainly not elite yet, but is showing a lot of potential to win games partly because he doesn't give up the ball often (lowest INT% in the league). The fact he's doing it with a team where QBs have gone to die over the last 5 years gives me hope he may be a keeper.
I had been thinking that Winnipeg should have kept Brown this last offseason and let Zack go.

Makes perfect sense. A beautiful stadium is modernized at a small fraction of the cost of building a new one.

Funding might still be a problem though. Still need more bike lanes around town.
Shouldn't Dannielle be funding this?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I had been thinking that Winnipeg should have kept Brown this last offseason and let Zack go.

Shouldn't Dannielle be funding this?

That apparently is supposed to be the plan, with the Flames getting govt money o build their rink and we would get a similar amount for stadium renos. But we will someone get screwed in that deal, as per usual.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Makes perfect sense. A beautiful stadium is modernized at a small fraction of the cost of building a new one.

Funding might still be a problem though. Still need more bike lanes around town.
I mean ignoring the bike lanes property taxes keep going up, they are trying to find funding for public transit. This in general would be a terrible waste of tax payer money. The team sees so few people and gets used for less then 30 days in an entire year, and 30 is being very generous. Funding this would require another property tax hike would wouldn’t be worth the minor benefits.
Although renovating the building would mean double priced beer so that would be nice /s lol

That apparently is supposed to be the plan, with the Flames getting govt money o build their rink and we would get a similar amount for stadium renos. But we will someone get screwed in that deal, as per usual.
They will say they will provide the funding and then a month later pull it like they did with the Green Line in Calgary.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I mean ignoring the bike lanes property taxes keep going up, they are trying to find funding for public transit. This in general would be a terrible waste of tax payer money. The team sees so few people and gets used for less then 30 days in an entire year, and 30 is being very generous. Funding this would require another property tax hike would wouldn’t be worth the minor benefits.
Although renovating the building would mean double priced beer so that would be nice /s lol

They will say they will provide the funding and then a month later pull it like they did with the Green Line in Calgary.
The three stadium concerts this summer provided a pretty big economic benefit for the local economy, if they can bump that up to 6 or 7 a year, it somewhat justifies the public money. But it has to not be municipal money, provincial or federal only, or it's pretty much a non starter. City is in enough fiscal trouble as it is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The three stadium concerts this summer provided a pretty big economic benefit for the local economy, if they can bump that up to 6 or 7 a year, it somewhat justifies the public money. But it has to not be municipal money, provincial or federal only, or it's pretty much a non starter. City is in enough fiscal trouble as it is.
I do think they should try get more concerts/events into Commonwealth, but at the same time I also don't think you need to do renovations at this point.

We just had two of the larger names out there come to Commonwealth and it's not like I'm hearing other "names" saying no to the stadium.

Especially if the City is planning on given a single cent to this. They simply can't afford it and I don't know that current City council should be making any money decisions greater than a dollar at this point. Even provincial and federal, I rather that money go into something else
I never understood how they just don't have the Grey Cup schedule set for the next 9 years. Every nine years your team gets it.

Have some sort of deadline where 3 years before or something you can cancel and then you just get bumped to the bottom of the list.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The city has averaged ONE big concert a year for the past decade. Some years 2, some years none. There isn’t enough massive artists doing large stadium tours to bump that up to 6 or 7.
I’d love to see a study on the economic benefit. This will cost $300million easy and Reno’s last 15-20 years before they are “old” and need to be new ones. So essentially the Reno’s need to bring in an extra $15million a year in economic benefit.
I also want to see the study to ignore the boosted hotel costs cause that money doesn’t get used or stay in the city but instead goes to the big hotel chains profits which really don’t benefit us.

Like year if we add a bunch of concerts a year it could happen but there isn’t enough of them essentially in our relatively short window to have them

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Probably have to give up a 3rd round CFL and NHL draft picks to Calgary, to boot.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The good news just keeps on coming. What a difference a month makes.
Communities that have solid, private ownership for their sports teams are so blessed. Edmonton with Katz, the Gregg ownership group and now Thompson for the EE (I have decided, going forward, to not use that other name, El*s (spit) )are living large.

They all “get” the community and thus, their audience/clientele. Bodes so well for long term success.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Communities that have solid, private ownership for their sports teams are so blessed. Edmonton with Katz, the Gregg ownership group and now Thompson for the EE (I have decided, going forward, to not use that other name, El*s (spit) )are living large.

They all “get” the community and thus, their audience/clientele. Bodes so well for long term success.
I think the biggest part of the turnaround for the EE is the fact that nobody likes incompetence and loser stuff. When you change course then alot of people jump back on board. It's just human nature. Is it coincidence that suddenly these renovations are being talked about? I think not.

I'm sure that there were some people on the BOD who were sincere and did their best but in pro sports the objective is winning. Its not everything--it's the only thing.

Really looking forward to Saturday's game and hopefully vaulting over that 30K attendance mark.

As for the team, I really like the name "double E's" and references to the EE (evil empire stuff) because it goes so well with football. Officially they are the Elks but unofficially the EE. I think Thompson is on the right track there. He knows that there must be some sort of peace agreement on this thing and that might be the right way to go.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think the biggest part of the turnaround for the EE is the fact that nobody likes incompetence and loser stuff. When you change course then alot of people jump back on board. It's just human nature. Is it coincidence that suddenly these renovations are being talked about? I think not.

I'm sure that there were some people on the BOD who were sincere and did their best but in pro sports the objective is winning. Its not everything--it's the only thing.

Really looking forward to Saturday's game and hopefully vaulting over that 30K attendance mark.

As for the team, I really like the name "double E's" and references to the EE (evil empire stuff) because it goes so well with football. Officially they are the Elks but unofficially the EE. I think Thompson is on the right track there. He knows that there must be some sort of peace agreement on this thing and that might be the right way to go.
Yes, agreed. I have no doubt that they may have been sincere and well intended in their actions. I don’t think for a minute that sabotage was on their minds.

As reps of the “ownership”, that being the community, I don’t think they were plugged in to truly knowing the pulse of things. It’s a study in disconnection that really should be studied by other community ownership models, to learn from.

With group or singular ownership, your business model needs to be aligned with your clientele’s’ values, wants and needs otherwise it’s just a failure waiting to happen. Thompson having been a long time client and now owner is in a good position to navigate the necessary steps needed to move the organization forward. It’s easier to align (and realign if necessary) a singular owner versus a 10 person board most times as well.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

"EE Football Club" is an acceptable alternative as well IMO. They should have just stuck with that when they dumped Eskimos.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
"EE Football Club" is an acceptable alternative as well IMO. They should have just stuck with that when they dumped Eskimos.
Agree 100%. They didn't think it through and that was a big part of the trouble with the BOD--not a lot of common sense and definitely a lack of connectivity. When you no longer connect with your customers then you are headed out of business.

Yes, agreed. I have no doubt that they may have been sincere and well intended in their actions. I don’t think for a minute that sabotage was on their minds.

As reps of the “ownership”, that being the community, I don’t think they were plugged in to truly knowing the pulse of things. It’s a study in disconnection that really should be studied by other community ownership models, to learn from.

With group or singular ownership, your business model needs to be aligned with your clientele’s’ values, wants and needs otherwise it’s just a failure waiting to happen. Thompson having been a long time client and now owner is in a good position to navigate the necessary steps needed to move the organization forward. It’s easier to align (and realign if necessary) a singular owner versus a 10 person board most times as well.
I'm very optimistic about the future.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

These reno talks have kinda been around all year when the new ownership conversation would come up and as a taxpayer it kinda scares me that something has already been promised to Thompson by the City.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
How much credit do we want to give RL and the, ahem, "board", for picking the right guy to buy the team. I love they went with a long time STH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad