CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
These reno talks have kinda been around all year when the new ownership conversation would come up and as a taxpayer it kinda scares me that something has already been promised to Thompson by the City.
I don't think anything has been promised. All that was approved was a concept. There is no funding yet. I suspect a funding model, should one be agreed to, includes a decent injection of cash from LT as well as other non-municipal sources.

How much credit do we want to give RL and the, ahem, "board", for picking the right guy to buy the team. I love they went with a long time STH
We are only a month into it. I'm happy so far as things are trending the right way, but we'll need 3-5 years to really determine whether LT was the right guy.

Sometimes private owners can go really badly (like Forzani in Calgary). I doubt that is what we have in LT, but let's give it some time and make we show support for the decisions when we agree with them.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think anything has been promised. All that was approved was a concept. There is no funding yet. I suspect a funding model, should one be agreed to, includes a decent injection of cash from LT as well as other non-municipal sources.

We are only a month into it. I'm happy so far as things are trending the right way, but we'll need 3-5 years to really determine whether LT was the right guy.

Sometimes private owners can go really badly (like Forzani in Calgary). I doubt that is what we have in LT, but let's give it some time and make we show support for the decisions when we agree with them.
I'd be curious who the other potential owners were for EE.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I think the biggest part of the turnaround for the EE is the fact that nobody likes incompetence and loser stuff. When you change course then alot of people jump back on board. It's just human nature. Is it coincidence that suddenly these renovations are being talked about? I think not.

I'm sure that there were some people on the BOD who were sincere and did their best but in pro sports the objective is winning. Its not everything--it's the only thing.

Really looking forward to Saturday's game and hopefully vaulting over that 30K attendance mark.

As for the team, I really like the name "double E's" and references to the EE (evil empire stuff) because it goes so well with football. Officially they are the Elks but unofficially the EE. I think Thompson is on the right track there. He knows that there must be some sort of peace agreement on this thing and that might be the right way to go.

Speaking of jumping back on board, I hope the two sponsors who helped create this mess in the first place and then bailed on the team come back with their tail between their legs, offering to sponsor again, and LT tells them to eff off.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think the biggest part of the turnaround for the EE is the fact that nobody likes incompetence and loser stuff. When you change course then alot of people jump back on board. It's just human nature. Is it coincidence that suddenly these renovations are being talked about? I think not.

I'm sure that there were some people on the BOD who were sincere and did their best but in pro sports the objective is winning. Its not everything--it's the only thing.

Really looking forward to Saturday's game and hopefully vaulting over that 30K attendance mark.

As for the team, I really like the name "double E's" and references to the EE (evil empire stuff) because it goes so well with football. Officially they are the Elks but unofficially the EE. I think Thompson is on the right track there. He knows that there must be some sort of peace agreement on this thing and that might be the right way to go.
Not sure if I agree with the latter comments entirely. I think Thompson made a really smart play by emphasizing the EE part at the initial news conference when asked the inevitable name question. Obviously, no one can really know what he's thinking, but to me, that was a ploy to buy some time and not to come down with a big sledgehammer on a bunch of things all at once, name being a touchy one. Leave that battle for another day. As he said, the first thing and foremost, is winning, and they seem to be doing some of that since he took over. I honestly believe the name change hammer is going to come down at some point, once some other large housekeeping items are dealt with this year.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure if I agree with the latter comments entirely. I think Thompson made a really smart play by emphasizing the EE part at the initial news conference when asked the inevitable name question. Obviously, no one can really know what he's thinking, but to me, that was a ploy to buy some time and not to come down with a big sledgehammer on a bunch of things all at once, name being a touchy one. Leave that battle for another day. As he said, the first thing and foremost, is winning, and they seem to be doing some of that since he took over. I honestly believe the name change hammer is going to come down at some point, once some other large housekeeping items are dealt with this year.

Wonder if there is opportunity for some sort of hybrid.

Move to "EE Football Club" as the official name, but with the second "E" technically being "Elks" in an understated way. Scrap the John Deere logo, scrap the antlers, go back to the traditional Eskimo uniform and logo, ask broadcasters to refer to them as "EE" or "The Double E" for short. In contrast to the antlers, I actually think that there would be some interesting branding and 3rd logo opportunities with the "Football Club" moniker.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010
Speaking of jumping back on board, I hope the two sponsors who helped create this mess in the first place and then bailed on the team come back with their tail between their legs, offering to sponsor again, and LT tells them to eff off.
No Boston Pizza can take their (w) agenda along with TSN and take a flying #$%^ ..People are getting sick of the W movement and are checking out . Like Trump or not the one thing I agree with what he said is that anything that turns W goes to SH** .

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Who knows why he took the approach. It could be as you say, but I think it's just as likely that through the process of purchasing the team, he may have been exposed to the major hurdles that would be barriers to a return to Eskimos.

As I've said in the past, it's a lot easier to continue using a name that some find offensive if you can convince everyone it came from a non-malicious place than it is to rename your team to a name that some find offensive.

The stakeholders impacted by this are much more than the Edmonton fans and indigenous people. At this point, the CFL would subject to backlash. CFL sponsors could be subject to backlash. Other CFL teams could be subject to backlash. City of Edmonton as owner of the building they play could play hardball to prevent backlash against them by raising his lease costs or kicking him out completely.

The reality is that before he can do anything he needs all those parties to agree that it is worth the fight to get the name back. Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't, but I always thought it was naive to think it's as easy as snapping your fingers and going back.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Who knows why he took the approach. It could be as you say, but I think it's just as likely that through the process of purchasing the team, he may have been exposed to the major hurdles that would be barriers to a return to Eskimos.

As I've said in the past, it's a lot easier to continue using a name that some find offensive if you can convince everyone it came from a non-malicious place than it is to rename your team to a name that some find offensive.

The stakeholders impacted by this are much more than the Edmonton fans and indigenous people. At this point, the CFL would subject to backlash. CFL sponsors could be subject to backlash. Other CFL teams could be subject to backlash. City of Edmonton as owner of the building they play could play hardball to prevent backlash against them by raising his lease costs or kicking him out completely.

The reality is that before he can do anything he needs all those parties to agree that it is worth the fight to get the name back. Maybe he can do it, maybe he can't, but I always thought it was naive to think it's as easy as snapping your fingers and going back.
He seems like a guy that is very thorough and does his homework first. If he does proceed with this, rest assured, all of his ducks will be in order.

Reactions: timekeep and bone

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Let’s see, one stadium that can hold 50k+, and the other one is a dilapidated eyesore that needs to be demolished. Tough call.

I was at the 2009 Grey Cup and it was a disaster to say the least. This is when they still added the additional seats in the end zones and the environment was so poor that it legitimately became a safety issue due to crowding.

I was floored when they decided to go back there in 2019, but they didn't add the additional bleachers this time. Still not an appropriate venue.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Wonder if there is opportunity for some sort of hybrid.

Move to "EE Football Club" as the official name, but with the second "E" technically being "Elks" in an understated way. Scrap the John Deere logo, scrap the antlers, go back to the traditional Eskimo uniform and logo, ask broadcasters to refer to them as "EE" or "The Double E" for short. In contrast to the antlers, I actually think that there would be some interesting branding and 3rd logo opportunities with the "Football Club" moniker.
Yah, not sure if "Football Club" is going to work. To me, it seems like a placeholder name for teams in flux, while deciding on their official name.

Let’s see, one stadium that can hold 50k+, and the other one is a dilapidated eyesore that needs to be demolished. Tough call.
I guess it could be worse. Holding it in places like Toronto or Vancouver where they really could give a flying f*** about the league and have to force everything for seat sales and generating the atmosphere.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
He seems like a guy that is very thorough and does his homework first. If he does proceed with this, rest assured, all of his ducks will be in order.
I agree with this. He wasn't going to start promising anything that may prove to be impossible to complete as then you'd have those most happy about that promise losing trust in you for not delivering.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Interesting to see Calgary already trying again when they've been trying to move on getting a new building. If they got it, they'd be getting their next opportunity quiccker than Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa or Edmonton did as all four last hosted further back than 2019. Montreal hasn't since 2008 even.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
How much credit do we want to give RL and the, ahem, "board", for picking the right guy to buy the team. I love they went with a long time STH
Giving them credit for finally realizing they screwed up a good thing. Like really screwed it up??

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I agree, if Ford is ready he should start the game. If Tre had started from game one we would be in first place right now.
That’s a bold prediction and I doubt that’s correct. Maybe you’re being facetious. I can’t tell.

The new and rejuvenated Eskies team should sign their stars to longer deals and shoot for 30k in attendance for a home game. Looks like the latter is coming true this weekend.

Isn't it amazing how some wins and renewed enthusiasm brings people back out. The ship is finally turning around.
I remember when we’d get over 50,000 out for a game like this.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
That’s a bold prediction and I doubt that’s correct. Maybe you’re being facetious. I can’t tell.

I remember when we’d get over 50,000 out for a game like this.

It is definitely a new world. On the radio this morning they were getting excited about having "as many as 32,000 people there!" If we went down and beat the Stamps like we did this year 20 years ago there is no doubt that 50,000 would have probably been the low end of the potential draw for that game.

32,000 used to pretty much be the lowest crowd you would get. That used to be a Tiger Cats on a Thursday night in mid-October kind of crowd.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
It is definitely a new world. On the radio this morning they were getting excited about having "as many as 32,000 people there!" If we went down and beat the Stamps like we did this year 20 years ago there is no doubt that 50,000 would have probably been the low end of the potential draw for that game.

32,000 used to pretty much be the lowest crowd you would get. That used to be a Tiger Cats on a Thursday night in mid-October kind of crowd.
Still a big step in the right direction.

Ad

Ad

Ad