CFL 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Not good Ford is likely not playing again this week.

He really needs to stop taking unnecessary big hits to gain a few yards.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Anyone know what happened to Justin Rankin? Is he hurt? Could have really used him last game - a touchdown machine. Trying to find info on the CFL or Elks site is near impossible.

He had 6 touches last game but Brown was averaging 6 yards per carry vs. Rankin's 3 yards per carry. I think they just leaned a bit harder on the player that was going a bit better early in the game.

Cant find any stats for him.
Look again. It's on CFL.ca
1725033418978.png

Reactions: Stoneman89

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Name change happens later.
...or not. They had 70+ years as the Eskimos and nothing can ever take that away. Those who are withholding their ticket money and wanting to piss on anything the current EE franchise attempts to do have the right to do so, just as others (like me) can be okay with moving on under the current name. My only condition re. renewing our season tickets in 2025 is that they start winning asap.

Last edited:

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
As for the LDC, I have no problem with Bethel-Thompson starting as long as Jackson is open to the idea of going to Ford (if he's healthy enough) immediately if need be.

PositiveCashFlow

the construction could be better
Jul 10, 2007
It’ll be interesting to see what happens now that CJ isn’t running things anymore. If MBT starts to falter how fast will JJ switch to Tre?

It’s nice to finally see a good Elks team

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
@abootzky ...or not. They had 70+ years as the Eskimos and nothing can ever take that away. Those who are withholding their ticket money and wanting to piss on anything the current EE franchise attempts to do have the right to do so, just as others (like me) can be okay with moving on under the current name. My only condition re. renewing our season tickets in 2025 is that they start winning asap.
The problem is that the team is clearly embarrassed by the Eskimo name. How can you link to the history of the Edmonton Eskimos when you distance the team as far as possible from the iconic name which represents that history?
That is the definition of dysfunction and not surpirsingly the city ended up with a dysfunctional team.

The sliver lining...the team became so dysfunctional that a long time Eskimo fan became motivated enough to buy the team and to try and rebuild it.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It’ll be interesting to see what happens now that CJ isn’t running things anymore. If MBT starts to falter how fast will JJ switch to Tre?

It’s nice to finally see a good Elks team

Based on his first comments about Ford when he became HC, I don’t expect much to change. He crapped on Ford much like Jones did. Only played him cause MBT got hurt. But we’ll see, hopefully he has an open mind.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
The problem is that the team is clearly embarrassed by the Eskimo name. How can you link to the history of the Edmonton Eskimos when you distance the team as far as possible from the iconic name which represents that history?
That is the definition of dysfunction and not surpirsingly the city ended up with a dysfunctional team.

The sliver lining...the team became so dysfunctional that a long time Eskimo fan became motivated enough to buy the team and to try and rebuild it.
There's sure a lot of judgment calls in your assessment. I don't give a crap what the team, the league, the media, the activists, the sponsors or anyone else wants me to do with my favourite team's history. The franchise that I have loved since 1970, who I saw win 11 of their 14 Grey Cups and make the playoffs 34 years in a row was and always will be called the Edmonton Eskimos by me. So will the dysfunctional one that prematurely promoted Danny Maciocia, hired Eric Tillman who traded Ricky Ray, fired Ed Hervey for no good reason and eventually made the legitimately contentious decision to change the team's name. When things turn around for the EE (and they will at some point), I will separate the bad, the good and the dysfunctional of the Elks just like I did when they were the Eskimos. The decision to rebrand a few years ago didn't thrill me. It also didn't offend me or hurt my feelings. However, I do think that switching it back would be more a regressive move than any kind of tribute to the club's history.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
There's sure a lot of judgment calls in your assessment. I don't give a crap what the team, the league, the media, the activists, the sponsors or anyone else wants me to do with my favourite team's history. The franchise that I have loved since 1970, who I saw win 11 of their 14 Grey Cups and make the playoffs 34 years in a row was and always will be called the Edmonton Eskimos by me. So will the dysfunctional one that prematurely promoted Danny Maciocia, hired Eric Tillman who traded Ricky Ray, fired Ed Hervey for no good reason and eventually made the legitimately contentious decision to change the team's name. When things turn around for the EE (and they will at some point), I will separate the bad, the good and the dysfunctional of the Elks just like I did when they were the Eskimos. The decision to rebrand a few years ago didn't thrill me. It also didn't offend me or hurt my feelings. However, I do think that switching it back would be more a regressive move than any kind of tribute to the club's history.
Genuine question...how would changing the name back to Eskimos be regressive?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Back in the 1920's when the baseball and hockey teams here were named the Edmonton Eskimos and my favourite MLB team was dubbed the Cleveland Indians, nobody cared if you named your team after a group of people. Wrong or right, a hundred years later, many people do care. For the last several decades, names like Eskimos, Indians, Redskins, Chiefs, Fighting Irish etc. aren't even in contention when they name a team. Is that because the world is overly woke or is it because those kind of names are simply antiquated? I think it's the latter. Reverting to an antiquated name seems regressive to me. Again "antiquated" doesn't mean the same thing that "offensive" does. That's why I have no problem openly referring to the pre-2021 Edmonton football team as the Eskimos or the Cleveland baseball team up to 2022 as the Indians.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Back in the 1920's when the baseball and hockey teams here were named the Edmonton Eskimos and my favourite MLB team was dubbed the Cleveland Indians, nobody cared if you named your team after a group of people. Wrong or right, a hundred years later, many people do care. For the last several decades, names like Eskimos, Indians, Redskins, Chiefs, Fighting Irish etc. aren't even in contention when they name a team. Is that because the world is overly woke or is it because those kind of names are simply antiquated? I think it's the latter. Reverting to an antiquated name seems regressive to me. Again "antiquated" doesn't mean the same thing that "offensive" does. That's why I have no problem openly referring to the pre-2021 Edmonton football team as the Eskimos or the Cleveland baseball team up to 2022 as the Indians.
Well...actually the very reasoning for changing the name from Eskimos to Elks was entirely about wokeness.

I have sent you a PM...because to better understand this requires drifting into areas that are too political for this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad