Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I was surprised Steve Levy was there, but he seemed to be a little emotional about it at times, so that was cool

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The description for Pasta. I had to fix the spacing b/c the article is an editor's nightmare of formatting mistakes

David Pastrnak (2014 – Present)

Pastrnak has appeared in593 career games, recording 303 goals and 316 assists for 619 points. As the leading goal scorer (tied) in 2019-20, he became the first Bruin since 1974-75 to win the Rocket Richard Trophy. In the 2022-23 season, he became the second Bruin in franchise history with a 60+ goal season. Pastrnak ranks second in team history with 15 career hat tricks.
The Rocket Richard didn't exist in the 1970s lol.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
The description for Pasta. I had to fix the spacing b/c the article is an editor's nightmare of formatting mistakes

David Pastrnak (2014 – Present)

Pastrnak has appeared in593 career games, recording 303 goals and 316 assists for 619 points. As the leading goal scorer (tied) in 2019-20, he became the first Bruin since 1974-75 to win the Rocket Richard Trophy. In the 2022-23 season, he became the second Bruin in franchise history with a 60+ goal season. Pastrnak ranks second in team history with 15 career hat tricks.
600 games already for Pasta?! Wow did that fly. Good points Ali. He belongs there.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
600 games already for Pasta?! Wow did that fly. Good points Ali. He belongs there.
Time sure does fly. I remember him being drafted and watching him at Dev camp. He's going to be either 1 or 2 by the time his contract is up. He had to to be on this list.

From reading Ty and Scott McLaughlin of WEEI it sounds like the goalies were the hardest decision to make. I would have put Timmy in

Reactions: GlenFeatherstone

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Time sure does fly. I remember him being drafted and watching him at Dev camp. He's going to be either 1 or 2 by the time his contract is up. He had to to be on this list.

From reading Ty and Scott McLaughlin of WEEI it sounds like the goalies were the hardest decision to make. I would have put Timmy in
With only two slots somebody deserving had to be left out.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I hit all 6 D and both G

I went 10 of 12 F

I had Oates over Krejci but totally get it

I put Dumart in as a LW not considering just F otherwise Bill Cowley yes

Growing up in 60’s as all the Orr -Espo stuff started Bill Cowley was often brought up - he was in the game programs in ads and discussed as right there with Schmidt

As time goes on I haven’t heard his name mentioned in 30-40 years

Why wasn’t his number 10 retired ? He was a star but didn’t leave to serve in war and picked up 2 Hart Trophies during that period

Last edited:

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
The committee overall did a good job.

The goalies who both won 2 Cups got the nod

I can quibble over a couple of selections but there is nothing outrageous on the final cut.
I went 18 of 20 but I thought had to pick 4 LW- Cowley as you know all to well growing up was a star

In retrospect I should have taken Krejci due to longevity over Oates and Ratelle

Curious who you thought should have been on

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
1697194685576.png

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Meh, not going to take any list seriously that leaves Tiny Thompson off as one of the best two goalies in Bruins' history.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Now do, chosen from the all-time Bruins

3F
2D
1G

If you had to win a game 7 OT and they were who you wanted on the ice to start OT

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
They did a great job with the picks. Krejci was my only surprise but he's more than worthy of the honor. They should have introduced him as Noted Tough Guy David Krejci tho.

I'm really surprised that DK made it. He flew under the radar for the most part, didn't grab a lot of headlines or awards. Not that I'm complaining, I think he definitely deserves it based on his career. It's just he usually gets overlooked when people talk about all time great Bruins.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Sanderson I would have voted over Pasta. Pasta will be when it’s said and done. But not as of now. Pasta is the only one, as of today, that I wouldn’t put as an all time top 12 forward in the history of the team. But that’s just me. Maybe I’m being picky.

I don't get it.

Pasta has already played more than 200 games more than Sanderson did for the Bruins.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Now do, chosen from the all-time Bruins

3F
2D
1G

If you had to win a game 7 OT and they were who you wanted on the ice to start OT
Bucyk - Bergeron - Neely
Orr - Bourque (I could also go Shore - Park and do just fine)
G: Hard choice between Cheevers and Thomas but I think I go with Thomas. I have no basis to evaluate Brimsek or Thompson

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Bruins legends were celebrated for the second straight night as the club held its Centennial Gala at the Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel on Thursday.
The highlight of the event — one of many in a season-long celebration of the franchise’s 100th anniversary — was the big reveal of the 20 members of the All-Centennial team.
Retired legends from Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, and Patrice Bergeron to current stars Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak dotted the team.
“I still will never think that I should be on any list with Bobby or Ray or Cam or all the guys that have come before me, but it does mean an incredible amount,” said Bruins captain Marchand before the gala commenced. “It is a true honor. What those guys mean to hockey, not just for Boston, but all across the world? It’s incredible.”

Though you’d need a book to list all of No. 4′s accomplishments, perhaps his greatest came in the 1969-70 season when he collected the Norris, Art Ross (most points), Hart (MVP), and Conn Smythe (playoff MVP) trophies. Oh, and he held up the first of his two Stanley Cups that season, as well.

Orr headlined a group of six defensemen, including:

Bourque: The Captain won five Norris Trophies. Arrived at the barn ready to shoot.

Eddie Shore: “The Edmonton Express” won four Hart Trophies, the most of any defenseman.

Zdeno Chara: “Big Z” was a Norris and Stanley Cup winner and the most feared defender of his era.

Brad Park: Was the second-best defenseman of his era. Named an All-Star nine times but never won a Norris — see Orr, Bobby.

Dit Clapper: Was the first to play 20 seasons in the NHL and was an All-Star defenseman — and right winger.

The forwards:

Milt Schmidt
: Center on the famed “Kraut Line,” he scored 229 goals and also served as Bruins coach and general manager.

Phil Esposito: “Espo” is a five-time Art Ross and two-time Hart Trophy winner. Fans from back in the day remember this bumper sticker: “Jesus saves, Espo scores on the rebound.”

Johnny Bucyk: The “Chief” was a prolific scorer and two-time Lady Byng winner for sportsmanship. Bucyk, 88, still attends every game.

Bergeron: “Bergy” was a six-time Selke Award winner as the league’s best defensive forward and the heart and soul of the franchise for the better part of the past two decades.

Neely: Rugged right winger known as the league’s preeminent power forward. The team president had soft hands around the net, but they turned to bricks when the gloves came off.

Terry O’Reilly: “Taz” personified the franchise’s blue-collar reputation. He likes to be self-deprecating about his skating, but he could score and not even Rocky Balboa was a better southpaw.

Rick Middleton: Was coined “Nifty” by fellow Centennial teamer Gerry Cheevers — “You ever see him play,” Cheevers said Thursday. “He was pretty nifty.” Had eyes in the back of his head and could score from anywhere. Three-time All-Star, he also played on a line with Wayne Gretzky during the 1984 Canada Cup.

Marchand: “Marchy,” the current team captain, is a crafty skater and scorer who often can be found in the dirty areas, and under opponents’ skin.

Bill Cowley: “Cowboy” was a two-time Hart Trophy winner who collected 549 points in 549 career games.

Wayne Cashman: “Cash” started his career in 1964-65 when the Original Six was still the Original Six. Finished his career in 1982-83 with 793 points. A grinder and a captain, he rode on Espo’s line for years.

David Pastrnak: “Pasta” is coming off a 61-goal season and potted two in the opener. Poised to become one of the franchise’s most prolific scorers. Take proper precautions if you want to block his one-timer from the dot.

David Krejci: “Krech” wrapped up a brilliant 16-year career with 231 goals and 555 assists. A clutch performer, he twice led the Stanley Cup playoffs in scoring.

The goaltenders:

Frank Brimsek
: When your nickname is “Mr. Zero,” that kind of says it all. He won 252 games and pitched 40 shutouts in a 10-year NHL career, the first nine in Boston.

Cheevers: Wearing his famous stitched goalie mask, “Cheesie” was a force, winning 226 games for the Bruins and 99 during a four-year hiatus with the WHA’s Cleveland Crusaders.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I hit all 6 D and both G

I went 10 of 12 F

I had Oates over Krejci but totally get it

I put Dumart in as a LW not considering just F otherwise Bill Cowley yes

Growing up in 60’s as all the Orr -Espo stuff started Bill Cowley was often brought up - he was in the game programs in ads and discussed as right there with Schmidt

As time goes on I haven’t heard his name mentioned in 30-40 years

Why wasn’t his number 10 retired ? He was a star but didn’t leave to serve in war and picked up 2 Hart Trophies during that period

Cowley made his career in the war years against much weaker competition. Always an excellent playmaker, he became a goal scorer also during the weakest part of the war years.

He was well know for his disdain of checking and defensive play. Openly stated he was paid to score, not to play defense.

Still, Cowley was the leading scorer in the playoffs for the 1939 Cup winning team.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm really surprised that DK made it. He flew under the radar for the most part, didn't grab a lot of headlines or awards. Not that I'm complaining, I think he definitely deserves it based on his career. It's just he usually gets overlooked when people talk about all time great Bruins.

Krejci is probably the weakest (with Cashman) on the final list. But both were Bruins for their entire careers, productive and solid two-way players.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad