Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
“I probably would have played one game and got just demolished and I’d be done,” laughed Brad Marchand. “Those guys were a whole different type of tough. They played the game a whole different way. I can’t imagine. You see them walking around bad hips and knees and it’s just because they demolished their bodies. But it was fun hockey to watch.”
Love this observation from Marchy. In debates about which player from an era was better than another player from a different era people get too caught up in stats, player conditioning, equipment, advances in medical treatment etc. What Marchy is talking about needs to be heavily factored into any comparisons when it comes to players from a bygone era.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Love this observation from Marchy. In debates about which player from an era was better than another player from a different era people get too caught up in stats, player conditioning, equipment, advances in medical treatment etc. What Marchy is talking about needs to be heavily factored into any comparisons when it comes to players from a bygone era.
Not to mention that many of them didn't have the luxury of being able to focus solely on hockey, practice, and the upcoming game: they had day jobs!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Wow. I agree with every one of them. Not that my opinion matters :)
Maybe Pasta or Krecji. But thats small.

I really thought all the Thomas fanbois were going to win that argument.

I would not have selected Pastrňák, but that's me.

Cheevers gets the overall nod, but the Bruins do not win the 2011 Cup without Tim Thomas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Babajingo

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I’m hearing a lot of support for Timmy on the goalie front… which warms my heart as he’s my favourite goaltender of all time.

But what about the guy who holds most of the Bruins’ statistical records for the position? I would have thought Tuukka would have to be considered a cinch.

Statistics matter -- a lot -- but they aren't everything, at least to me.

Fairly or unfairly, players are ultimately judged on whether they won it all, and Tuukka had two shots at it. He wasn't the reason they lost against Chicago & St. Louis, but he didn't steal either series. He remains a lightening rod.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have to disagree.

I love these kinds of exercises. The wider the discussions the more one can learn from them. To me the final list of 20 is hardly absurd. The voters seem to have done an excellent job.

To each their own. Clearly lots of people enjoy this stuff, and it allows the Bruins to put on a show. Which is all fine, and the final list, as I said, is solid and very deserving. What I find absurd is the process of trying to analyse and determine the comparative merits of players from vastly different eras. It's near-impossible to properly compare players from the 1960s and 2000s, let alone the 1930s. That's how I see it.

I really appreciate how looking into the great players and teams of the past allows us to learn more about them. But that could have been achieved just with the 100 or by naming 'best ofs' from each era. I simply don't see the need to whittle it down to one group of 20. Becomes too arbitrary.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
These black uniforms are ballin’.

I hope they keep the brown bear (bruin) as part of an updated shoulder patch and keep these uniforms and logo going forward.

And I like the stripes, too.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1697358065631.png

1697358095228.png

I am having second thoughts on Cheevers ( who I adore ) but the reality is he was not known to steal games because he didn't have to.

Tim Thomas is the reason we are not waiting since 1972 to win a Cup.

Lionel Hitchman is the :huh:

His #3 is retired but he doesn't make the Top 20.

Conversely the Bruins never retired Bill Cowley's #10 but he made the Top 20
1697360949629.png

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
View attachment 753181
View attachment 753182

I am having second thoughts on Cheevers ( who I adore ) but the reality is he was not known to steal games because he didn't have to.

Tim Thomas is the reason we are not waiting since 1972 to win a Cup.

Lionel Hitchman is the :huh:

His #3 is retired but he doesn't make the Top 20.

Conversely the Bruins never retired Bill Cowley's #10 but he made the Top 20 View attachment 753187
Well, technically speaking, Hitchman didn't make the "top 6" since they limited it by position. There might have been a different result if it was a straight ranking of best players 1-20.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Anyone get the Centennial clothing collection email and fall over at the prices they are charging? $50 for a t-shirt? $100 for a sweatshirt....$40 hats...ouch.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
My Marchy centennial 3rd jersey with the on-ice letter/number sets came in today from Hockey Authentic. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the detail of the jersey in photos. The front crest, lettering and numbers are all a very soft and pliable felt. Pretty cool because the jersey is more comfortable than others I have due to the crest and such not being nearly as stiff. Another good thing about it is that the light cream colored body is not nearly as see-through as most Adidas white jerseys. Don't have to wear a blank white shirt underneath it, which is nice. Was already a fan of the 3rd jersey, but now that I have it in hand I am a megafan of it. Whoever designed it produced a real beauty.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

While true there is no denying that the NHL of the O6 era never had dmen such as Burns, Paryako and Pronger on the back end keeping it to just Canadians.

I looked at the rosters of O6 teams in 1966-67 and there were only 2 D men listed at 6:03 (Doug Jarrett\Bert Marshall) and it looks like 3 more at 6:02 who played more
than 35 games (Jacques Lappierre, Ted Harris, Jim Nielsen). Granted they went 5 D back then but its basically 1 D man per team 6:02 with 2 teams with 1 at 6:03.

Then add in the size of the goalies with Montreal's at 5:07/5:08 and Detroit's Crozier at 5:09 and Chicago's Hall at 5:11.

Compare to just Canadian Dmen of today and you have Hamilton, Parayko, Power, Burns, Ekblad, Nurse, Sanheim all taller than any O6 Dman. Than add in Pietrangelo, Peleck at 6:03 and Chabot, Chychrun, Theodore, and Severson at 6:02 and as a group in totality its no contest.

Absolutely the cream of the crop such as Orr, Lapierre, Horton, Howell, Tremblay, Stapleton, Mohns, Bergman, Baun and Nielsen are right there from the O6 but
you can't teach that height and todays guys are too numerous.

So Marchand assuming the O6 guys have todays technology and training would in all honesty have a field day shooting on those goaltenders and would do just fine matching up against shorter dmen.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
These guys were tough.

Hard to imagine that Eddie Shore had his jaw broken 5 times and nose broken 14 times. "Tough" almost doesn't seem like a strong enough word to describe those players from back in the day. Ability in pain management and toughness were about as important as skill.

Reminds me a bit of F1 drivers. Sure, the guys today may have faster lap times and be in better shape and train more, but they also don't face the consequences of crashing like they did in the 1950s through the 1970s when drivers died in the double digits each decade. Put these pretty boy drivers of today in a 1960s F1 car and see how fast they decide to go while shitting their pants.

Almost seems like you had a to have a few screws missing to do things like play pro hockey or drive an F1 car in those bygone eras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad