Bruins Centennial Centennial Season

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Bucyk - Bergeron - Neely
Orr - Bourque (I could also go Shore - Park and do just fine)
G: Hard choice between Cheevers and Thomas but I think I go with Thomas. I have no basis to evaluate Brimsek or Thompson
I’m hearing a lot of support for Timmy on the goalie front… which warms my heart as he’s my favourite goaltender of all time.

But what about the guy who holds most of the Bruins’ statistical records for the position? I would have thought Tuukka would have to be considered a cinch.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Cowley made his career in the war years against much weaker competition. Always an excellent playmaker, he became a goal scorer also during the weakest part of the war years.

He was well know for his disdain of checking and defensive play. Openly stated he was paid to score, not to play defense.

Still, Cowley was the leading scorer in the playoffs for the 1939 Cup winning team.
Yes otherwise I nailed it

My family covers 75 years as season ticket holders and my father was going before that - he was 3 sports captain but no hockey team - his true love only sport he wanted to play

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I’m hearing a lot of support for Timmy on the goalie front… which warms my heart as he’s my favourite goaltender of all time.

But what about the guy who holds most of the Bruins’ statistical records for the position? I would have thought Tuukka would have to be considered a cinch.
They should have had 3 teams

1924-1966
1967-2003
2004- present

6F and 3 D & 2 G

They did a poll it would be 15 of actual 20 not bad actually

Bergeron
Krejci
Thornton
Pastrnak
Marchand
Lucic
Bucyk
Esposito
Middleton
Neely
Schmidt
OReilly
Orr
Bourque
Park
Shore
Chara
McAvoy
Tuuka
Thomas

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
They should have had 3 teams

1924-1966
1967-2003
2004- present

6F and 3 D & 2 G
100% This ^^^^^

Half of the Bs Cups were won before 1942. Those guys are underrepresented on the list IMO. But then you look at the Orr then the Bourque eras and the Bergy/Chara era, and there are so many deserving players in those eras as well.

The above proposal splits the eras perfectly, and would allow for more of the old-timers to get their due recognition, as well as include Tuukka and TImmy. The Bs have had so many incredible goalies, just picking two over 100 years is an exercise in silliness.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
This video on selecting the team is fantastic. I'm not doen with it yet but so far it is insightful.

@Bruinaura

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JCRO

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Feels like some of the selection committee had axes to grind with certain players. Originally disagrees on Marchand and Park?!?! Yikes

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
:heart::heart::heart:

Tumblr_l_75763205428387.jpg

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
This video on selecting the team is fantastic. I'm not doen with it yet but so far it is insightful.

@Bruinaura

The selection video was a great watch. I really appreciated the guys who brought a lot of “did you knows” and guys who went out and talked to people to do their hw/prepped for this like Joey Mac

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
100% This ^^^^^

Half of the Bs Cups were won before 1942. Those guys are underrepresented on the list IMO. But then you look at the Orr then the Bourque eras and the Bergy/Chara era, and there are so many deserving players in those eras as well.

The above proposal splits the eras perfectly, and would allow for more of the old-timers to get their due recognition, as well as include Tuukka and TImmy. The Bs have had so many incredible goalies, just picking two over 100 years is an exercise in silliness.

Yeah I fully agree. Trying to whittle the list down to just 20 is absurd. Everyone who makes the final cut is of course very worthy, but in most cases no more so than a bunch of other guys. There's little logical reason you can choose Cheevers over Rask or Thomas, other than you simply have to exclude somebody, and almost nobody alive today can realistically evaluate a Brimsek or Thompson compared to more recent players. So the whole exercise has little legitimacy to me.

Having 'best of' teams from three eras would have made much more sense.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Joey Mac definitely took this seriously. I've always liked him.

Marchand belongs on the list, but it felt like Haggs nominating him was him trying to score brownie points with the current captain. Maybe just because I'm not a Haggs fan lol.

Nice to see a good number of women on the panel. And those ladies knew their stuff too.

Jack: "Patrice Bergeron. Enough said." Jack is the man.

Overall I think this was well done.

The mouse (baby rat? lol) at 31:58 was hilarious.

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Yeah I fully agree. Trying to whittle the list down to just 20 is absurd. Everyone who makes the final cut is of course very worthy, but in most cases no more so than a bunch of other guys. There's little logical reason you can choose Cheevers over Rask or Thomas, other than you simply have to exclude somebody, and almost nobody alive today can realistically evaluate a Brimsek or Thompson compared to more recent players. So the whole exercise has little legitimacy to me.

I never realized Cheevers was the team leader in penalty minutes one season :laugh:

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Easy to photo shop that clown out of the pics.

Chief looks great. He and Milt are the definitions of Bruins.
I love Chief. And Milt was great too. Always loved seeing them come out for ceremonies and such.

It's cool to be a fan of a team with such a great, long history

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

One by one, Bruins stars of yesteryear paraded over the gold carpet Wednesday at TD Garden for the Rafters Reunion and then down the red carpet Thursday at the Fairmont Copley Plaza for the Centennial Gala.
Each smiled the same smile they flashed during their playing-day primes, waving to fans, who saluted them like conquering heroes.
“Really first class,” said Hall of Fame goalie Gerry Cheevers, who was named to the franchise’s All-Centennial team. “They outdid themselves.”
The word most thrown around by the players was “special.” To one alum in particular, however, it seemed extra special.
Mike Milbury grew up in Walpole cheering for the Bruins, the team he would one day play for and coach.

“Oh, there’s no question [it’s special]. It’s three hours before game time and they’re lined up to see some of their old friendly faces,” said the ex-defenseman before pausing and smiling. “And I’m glad none of them are booing me at this particular moment, because I’ve heard that, too.

“But it was fun, and it was heartwarming.”

Following his time at Colgate, Milbury began playing with the Boston Braves, then the Bruins’ top minor league club, in 1974.

“It was somewhat surreal,” he said. “When I was a senior at Colgate, I got a call from Johnny Carlton, who was then in scouting, and he asked me if I wanted to play a few games for the Braves. Got a hundred bucks a game. I never thought I’d ever get paid for playing hockey.

“And I went to camp the following year, no contract, but I hung around. Hung around and finally got a deal. And 20 years later, I was still in the organization.”

He played for the Bruins’ AHL entry, Rochester, for two seasons before getting called up to the NHL at the end of the 1975-76 season, playing three regular-season games and 11 playoff tilts.

“I can remember the first game in the old Garden playing St. Louis. They had a guy by the name of Bob Gassoff, one tough customer,” said Milbury, no shrinking violet himself. “I said, ‘I’m in a different league now,’ but it was a pinch-me moment. Fortunately, I got over that and managed to play a few good games.”

In all, Milbury played 840 games (playoffs included), with 53 goals, 266 points, and 1,771 penalty minutes in a run that ended following the 1986-87 season.

He wasn’t ready to give up hockey — or the Bruins.

“When I was about to retire, I went in to see [general manager] Harry [Sinden] and we talked about getting into management,” Milbury recalled. “I thought that was the direction I’d go, and he said, ‘You should really coach. You should really learn to coach the team.’

“So, he gave me a great deal. It was a four-year contract, two years in Maine [coaching the AHL team], two years unspecified at Boston. But I earned my spurs in Portland. It was a great experience. There was nobody looking over your shoulder, but I had him to call in once in a while.

“Came back here, had a couple of really good years, and moved into management. So, it was as smooth a transition from playing to post-playing that anybody could make.”

File under: Local boy makes good.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Johnny Bucyk made a slow, deliberate red carpet entrance to the Fairmont Copley Plaza Thursday evening, his 88-year-old legs taking all the time they needed to get to a party 100 years in the making.

Not much later, Matthew Poitras made the same walk through the lobby of Boston’s swanky hotel, his 19-year-old legs all but bouncing their way to the registration table.

Separated by 69 years in age; bonded by 100 years of black and gold. Links in the same chain, one established 100 years ago when the Bruins, led by grocery store magnate Charles Adams, became the third of the National Hockey League’s Original Six teams. From the past to the present, from the old to the young, many of those once and former Bruins gathered to celebrate a historic milestone for the franchise, their black-tie Centennial Gala turning the corner of St. James Avenue into a night of unforgettable glamor and history.

“I’m proud to be a Bruin, I’ve always been a Bruin, and I’ll be a Bruin for a long time to come, I hope,” Bucyk said.

What a beautiful sentiment. And what a wonderful cause to celebrate. A hundred years? That’s a lot to be proud of, not simply for staying in business, but for staying in one place, for connecting with a community that bleeds black and gold, for rewarding the most loyal of loyal fan bases with six Stanley Cups and dozens of Hall of Fame players. From the immortalized form of No. 4 Bobby Orr soaring through the Stanley Cup night to the towering frame of Zdeno Chara gritting through a wired-shut jaw, the Bruins built a brand on toughness and grit, the blue-collar ethos of their local followers never far from their hearts.

Across generations connected by season tickets and game-day rituals, a partnership was born, unshaken even as the sports world around it changes. There is nothing so constant in life as change, and sports is not immune. So much of it can feel transitory — the onset of free agency moved players around, the expansion of leagues changed longstanding rivalries, the relocation of some franchises left fans behind, the dissolution of others left fans bereft. From conference realignments to changing playoff brackets, it’s as if some teams all but begged us to change allegiances.

But not the Bruins. That Spoked B means something special.

“It’s a huge honor,” Chara said. “There is nothing like being part of an Original Six franchise. As soon as you join the organization you are connected with hundreds and hundreds of ones that were there before you. And they paved the road for many of us to be part of it.

“It’s an unbelievable honor and I’m privileged to be walking in the same hallways or locker rooms and put in the same crest on the jersey that they wore for many, many years. It’s hard to really put it into words but it’s something that whatever age you are, you’re going to look back and remember being part of.

“Personally, the interactions, that’s what is priceless. You don’t get to sit next to Bobby Orr or Johnny Bucyk, whoever, Phil Esposito, every day. So when we do see each other it’s very unique and you have to soak it in. Those are legends and they did so much for the organization, for the sport, for the game, for the city that it keeps you very aware how special it is to be part of that.”

“You’re meeting guys you haven’t seen in years, from different eras, I mean Eddie Shore’s son is here. It’s just really a great time,” Gerry Cheevers marveled. “A hundred years of memories, right?”

Charlie Coyle, pride of Weymouth, was on the ice Wednesday next to Trent Frederic, the two of them keeping their jaws from dropping to the ice as they applauded the introductions of grandchildren of former Bruins who were older than they are.

“It is a hundred percent important for that reason — this has remained for 100 years,” Coyle said. “How many teams have done that? That’s pretty special for an organization to be able to do that. So much great history. It gives you chills really. So many great moments. To be a part of that, celebrate that, be a part of the team this year, you feel very lucky.”

This year’s team would like nothing more than to honor those 100 years with another Stanley Cup. But one thing you can be sure of — they wouldn’t want to go back in time and play that old brand of hockey.

“I probably would have played one game and got just demolished and I’d be done,” laughed Brad Marchand. “Those guys were a whole different type of tough. They played the game a whole different way. I can’t imagine. You see them walking around bad hips and knees and it’s just because they demolished their bodies. But it was fun hockey to watch.”

Mutual appreciation, mutual love, like links in a chain, bonded forever.

As Coyle put it: “Here’s to the next 100 years.”

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I have to disagree.

I love these kinds of exercises. The wider the discussions the more one can learn from them. To me the final list of 20 is hardly absurd. The voters seem to have done an excellent job.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Johnny Bucyk made a slow, deliberate red carpet entrance to the Fairmont Copley Plaza Thursday evening, his 88-year-old legs taking all the time they needed to get to a party 100 years in the making.

Not much later, Matthew Poitras made the same walk through the lobby of Boston’s swanky hotel, his 19-year-old legs all but bouncing their way to the registration table.

Separated by 69 years in age; bonded by 100 years of black and gold. Links in the same chain, one established 100 years ago when the Bruins, led by grocery store magnate Charles Adams, became the third of the National Hockey League’s Original Six teams. From the past to the present, from the old to the young, many of those once and former Bruins gathered to celebrate a historic milestone for the franchise, their black-tie Centennial Gala turning the corner of St. James Avenue into a night of unforgettable glamor and history.

“I’m proud to be a Bruin, I’ve always been a Bruin, and I’ll be a Bruin for a long time to come, I hope,” Bucyk said.

What a beautiful sentiment. And what a wonderful cause to celebrate. A hundred years? That’s a lot to be proud of, not simply for staying in business, but for staying in one place, for connecting with a community that bleeds black and gold, for rewarding the most loyal of loyal fan bases with six Stanley Cups and dozens of Hall of Fame players. From the immortalized form of No. 4 Bobby Orr soaring through the Stanley Cup night to the towering frame of Zdeno Chara gritting through a wired-shut jaw, the Bruins built a brand on toughness and grit, the blue-collar ethos of their local followers never far from their hearts.

Across generations connected by season tickets and game-day rituals, a partnership was born, unshaken even as the sports world around it changes. There is nothing so constant in life as change, and sports is not immune. So much of it can feel transitory — the onset of free agency moved players around, the expansion of leagues changed longstanding rivalries, the relocation of some franchises left fans behind, the dissolution of others left fans bereft. From conference realignments to changing playoff brackets, it’s as if some teams all but begged us to change allegiances.

But not the Bruins. That Spoked B means something special.

“It’s a huge honor,” Chara said. “There is nothing like being part of an Original Six franchise. As soon as you join the organization you are connected with hundreds and hundreds of ones that were there before you. And they paved the road for many of us to be part of it.

“It’s an unbelievable honor and I’m privileged to be walking in the same hallways or locker rooms and put in the same crest on the jersey that they wore for many, many years. It’s hard to really put it into words but it’s something that whatever age you are, you’re going to look back and remember being part of.

“Personally, the interactions, that’s what is priceless. You don’t get to sit next to Bobby Orr or Johnny Bucyk, whoever, Phil Esposito, every day. So when we do see each other it’s very unique and you have to soak it in. Those are legends and they did so much for the organization, for the sport, for the game, for the city that it keeps you very aware how special it is to be part of that.”

“You’re meeting guys you haven’t seen in years, from different eras, I mean Eddie Shore’s son is here. It’s just really a great time,” Gerry Cheevers marveled. “A hundred years of memories, right?”

Charlie Coyle, pride of Weymouth, was on the ice Wednesday next to Trent Frederic, the two of them keeping their jaws from dropping to the ice as they applauded the introductions of grandchildren of former Bruins who were older than they are.

“It is a hundred percent important for that reason — this has remained for 100 years,” Coyle said. “How many teams have done that? That’s pretty special for an organization to be able to do that. So much great history. It gives you chills really. So many great moments. To be a part of that, celebrate that, be a part of the team this year, you feel very lucky.”

This year’s team would like nothing more than to honor those 100 years with another Stanley Cup. But one thing you can be sure of — they wouldn’t want to go back in time and play that old brand of hockey.

“I probably would have played one game and got just demolished and I’d be done,” laughed Brad Marchand. “Those guys were a whole different type of tough. They played the game a whole different way. I can’t imagine. You see them walking around bad hips and knees and it’s just because they demolished their bodies. But it was fun hockey to watch.”

Mutual appreciation, mutual love, like links in a chain, bonded forever.

As Coyle put it: “Here’s to the next 100 years.”

This is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad