Proposal: Ceci to Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
One of the worst trade proposals I have ever seen. A bunch of scraps for two first rounders that are transitioning into playing top 4 and top 9minutes. Why on earth would Ottawa do this?

Its like the sens asking for Rielly and Kapanen for Chlapik, Paul, Dzingel and a 2nd round pick. Even that package is better than the one the leafs offered.

In what world.... Delusional

I wouldn't trade Brown straight up for Lazar. "Scraps" is a pretty ignorant thing to say.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Your GM would. His OHL success is a product of McDavid.

Lazar is just MEH.

Brown scored 60% of Lazar's points totals in only 9% as many games last year.

His OHL success is not part of McDavid, Brown played with Fox and Gaunce the majority of his 'big' season. He's a stud and I wouldn't trade him for a dime a dozen center.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa

Then what about his AHL success? What about his 6 points in 7 games in the NHL.

I'm not saying he is a superstar but your down right wrong about Brown. The guy is one of the hardest workers you'll ever see and he will make the NHL

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
ok then...

OTT
M. Reilley
C. Brown

TOR
C. White
A. Guptill
F. Claesson
2017-3rd

Fair?

I'm not saying that I dont agree with you, but the deal in the OP dont make any sense at all for OTT

Uhhh what does this have to do with what I said?
A lot of fans are under rating Ottawa players and a lot of other fans are under rating Leaf players. That's all I was saying

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Ceci would take Nylander, and I would pass. I am sure some Send fans still wouldn't do it.

This deal is nowhere close.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Again if you were paying attention he was playing the most and succeeding until Ellis came to the team late. Or did you miss that one?

Then he dropped like a rock and sunk to the bottom of the pecking order. Whatever team Canada did proved to be the right choice because they came back with a gold medal. Meaning getting Rielly to play 10 more minutes than Ceci and shut down a red hot Laine in the finals while Ceci mostly watched from the bench was the right choice.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005

Lazar has far more value than Brown. That being said, you need to know what you have before you move it.

Brown has produced at every level including a brief NHL showcase. They bring a similar drive. Yes he had McDavid in the O, and had Nylander in the A. But he could have Matthews or others in the show.

Seems like a lateral move/giving up on Brown for what we think he'll amount to. Doesn't make sense for either team, as we would have to add.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Lazar has far more value than Brown. That being said, you need to know what you have before you move it.

Brown has produced at every level including a brief NHL showcase. They bring a similar drive. Yes he had McDavid in the O, and had Nylander in the A. But he could have Matthews or others in the show.

Seems like a lateral move/giving up on Brown for what we think he'll amount to. Doesn't make sense for either team, as we would have to add.

Brown didn't have Nylander in the AHL when he won rookie of the year.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Nylander for Ceci and a not insubstantial but not backbreaking + (Puempel or Lazar won't cut it, but asking for Chabot or the '17 1st isn't reasonable) is fair value...Gardiner straight is also fair but that's a gamble for the Sens and a lateral move for the Leafs.

But then playing Nylander so often within the division is a terrifying prospect...given that he will either be playing with or sheltered by Matthews, I'm comfortable making a large wager that in 3 years time he's outproducing both Brassard and Turris.

I don't think there's a deal to be made here.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What's with fans of division rivals thinking there's any amount of realism to Ottawa gift wrapping their RFAs to divisional rivals?

Even if Ottawa moves on from Ceci, they aren't moving him within the division to Toronto for futures unless Toronto is giving them a significantly better return than other teams, which the offer in this thread isn't.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wouldn't trade Brown If I were the Leafs looking in as a Sens fan, but he doesn't hold the value around the league that he may within a year or two should he breakout, that he does for the Leafs right now.

He is similar to the value Stone had for the Sens prior to his breakout in the NHL. We knew that he was worth a lot more than what was perceived, but he was still held out of the upper echelon of prospects (not even sure he appeared higher than 40 on a top prospects ranking). He dominated junior to a bigger extent, and AHL to a very similar/bigger extent. I'd keep Brown for at least a year to determine what he can be at the NHL level, this season should be a big indicator of where he is.

At this point, as a Sens fan, I'd love to get Brown, but not at the cost of a guy like Ceci.

Ceci is a 22 year old, who IMO is the Sens #3 right now. I was never sold on him until the acquisition of Phaneuf. After watching him not have to drag literal dead-weight around (Cowen, Weircioch, Boro) on the second pair, he turned into an absolute machine on the back-end.

It would take a severe over-payment to sway the Sens into trading away Ceci, this is the first time they have had a stable top 4 in nearly 5 years.

Nylander is a gun, a top prospect. I highly doubt the Leafs would even offer him for Ceci, but the Sens still wouldn't make that deal. Ceci means too much to the Sens.

I missed Brown being in the original proposal, he is the best piece in the OP's offer. Dermott and Leipsic do nothing for the Sens, and a 2nd, while valuable, adds nothing towards what the Sens are doing right now.

varano

Jun 27, 2013

I have my doubts about Connor Brown.... I don't see him as any more than a bottom 6 guy or possibly a guy that does well in the AHL but never in the NHL

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Who else had 6pts in 7GP?

I love Brown, but he had like 1 game with 4 Points ( I think), so his stats are little better then it should be. But I sure hope he makes it the big League this year, my fantasy pool really needs it ;)

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
We already have the best "Brown" prospect out there and his name isn't Connor it's Logan.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Lol. Anyone who knows anything knows the leafs don't pass on the initial offer. Get a clue lol. Wow

Pretty much. The trade was the equivalent of "Proven D man and prospect for a bunch of maybes"

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
There is value heading Ottawa's way, however there is absolutely no motivation for them to trade for futures. The sens need to be competitive now, not in a couple of years.

Where exactly is the value? There's a pretty good chance that none of those assets become NHL players.

Horrible, horrible trade.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Where exactly is the value? There's a pretty good chance that none of those assets become NHL players.

Horrible, horrible trade.

There is a pretty good chance all of them become NHL players. Dermott was a recent 34th overall pick in a deep draft who along with Chabot was one of the better D for Canada at the WJC and has improved since then. Brown is a workhorse, a heart & soul player who was rated a top 50 prospect in the last Prospect ranking by THN I believe. He has always been underrated, just as he has been in this thread by posters who are obviously unfamiliar with him.

Leaving out Lazar, who isn't needed, Brown + Dermott is fair value in a vacuum for Ceci, adding Leipsic and a 2nd is overpay. But Ottawa fans wouldn't want to move Ceci, which is understandable.

Some notes; Brown wasn't a product of McDavid - people suggesting that are giving away that they are clueless. Nor was he a product of Nylander - once again, clueless if you believe that.

Dermott is in the same value ballpark as Chabot, if you refer to him as a "scrub" than don't let me catch you saying otherwise about Chabot. Dermott has actually continued to develop and would improve upon his draft position in a re-draft, on the other hand wasn't Chabot publicly called out for not bringing it recently?

So Dion is Ottawa's 2nd best D, and has helped Ceci? Cool, Dion was an anchor during his last year in TOR who Jake Gardiner had to carry. Gardiner>Phaneuf>Ceci. Forget Brown and Dermott, Ceci ++ for Gardiner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad