Player Discussion Cayden Primeau Part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kudos to Hughes for his patience and how he was able to handle the goalie situation.

I thought we were stuck with Allen's contract and that best move for Primeau was to risk putting him on waivers to try and boost his confidence in the AHL. In the end, everything worked out perfectly for our goalies.

why did you think that would have been the best move over just putting Allen on waivers as there's noting to lose there?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
why did you think that would have been the best move over just putting Allen on waivers as there's noting to lose there?

I agree sending Allen down would've made more sense, however given how highly Hughes spoke of Allen's leadership and how good he was in the locker room, I couldn't have pictured him ever sending Allen to Laval.

Reactions: montreal

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Can Dobes take his job this year?

I think it's clear who has had the better camp. Not sure if it's worth waiving and likely losing Primeau though.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Primeau is a journeyman NHL back up. Which is still fantastic for a 7th round pick. I've always mentioned the hitch in his Lateral movements which really hasn't smoothened out enough at the pro level.

Athletically he's pretty average. He needs to be able to read the play at a high level and I just haven't seen that consistently.

The PK wasn't great but man he wasn't really in the right area code for any of it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Primeau is a journeyman NHL back up. Which is still fantastic for a 7th round pick. I've always mentioned the hitch in his Lateral movements which really hasn't smoothened out enough at the pro level.

Athletically he's pretty average. He needs to be able to read the play at a high level and I just haven't seen that consistently.

The PK wasn't great but man he wasn't really in the right area code for any of it.
To put it bluntly, he has had a very weak camp.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He's a stop gap, so is Monty. He might not even finish the season in Montréal.
I am not so sure about Monty, I have watched him steadily improve since his arrival and he is now just hitting his prime. He handles the puck well, moves very well in his crease and most importantly he isn't phased by being a French Canadian goalie playing for the Habs. I like him.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
I am not so sure about Monty, I have watched him steadily improve since his arrival and he is now just hitting his prime. He handles the puck well, moves very well in his crease and most importantly he isn't phased by being a French Canadian goalie playing for the Habs. I like him.
Oh I agree Monty improved a lot and I don't expect him to be replaced before the end of his current contract, but I think he's getting replaced eventually or falls back to backup status.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Oh I agree Monty improved a lot and I don't expect him to be replaced before the end of his current contract, but I think he's getting replaced eventually or falls back to backup status.
Yep at the very least Monty ends up being a solid back up. He will get replaced eventually if Dobes and Fowler continue their upward trajectories.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Primeau is 25 now. Around the same age Montembault established himself as a backup at 23. Now at 27 Montembault is a solid #1 goalie. Both goalies are 6’3” 215lbs, but Primeau looks smaller due to his position. Primeau every time he lets a goal it seems like he loses confidence follows by multiple goals. It could be psychological, I don’t know I’m not a doctor.

Anyhow I can tell Primeau is no Carey Price, but I don’t think Primeau is an NHL goalie for some reason. Reminds me of Jim Carry or Andrew Raycroft back in the day.

As for Dobes it’s too early to tell. The guy is 6’4” 210lbs a little taller but looks huge in goal. Like there’s no room to shoot. He covers the net like Carey Price. His positioning is like Pekka Rinne.

What I’m saying is Primeau plays like he’s 6’ even though he’s 6’3”. Dobes is 6’4” but covers the net like he’s 6’6”.

On the other hand Juuse Saros who’s 5’11” covers the net like he’s 6’3”. Some goalies just looks bigger than others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad