OT: Other Sports 83

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It should be banned but I don't see how gambling on your team to win the game is putting the legitimacy in question. If he ever bet on them to lose then absolutely banned for life for throwing games. Not sure I ever saw that though.
He could have saved pitchers for the games he was going to bet. You could punt a game without having bet on them to set up the game you will bet them.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
You're not the first person I've seen say this, but I don't understand this line of thinking.

If he wasn't worthy to go in while he was alive, why is it now ok for him to go in that he is dead? If anything, that's just a punishment to his living family that did love him to have to see him inducted when he can no longer be there to enjoy it.

Just keep him out entirely instead.

Was he not given a lifetime ban? Did he not served it? Once Rose died, his ban should be over. It is not hard to understand. He paid his debt, time to include the Hit King into the HOF.

Without Rose, the HOF feels incomplete.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Was he not given a lifetime ban? Did he not served it? Once Rose died, his ban should be over. It is not hard to understand. He paid his debt, time to include the Hit King into the HOF.

Without Rose, the HOF feels incomplete.
He is "permanently ineligible". Him dying doesn't change that.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It should be banned but I don't see how gambling on your team to win the game is putting the legitimacy in question. If he ever bet on them to lose then absolutely banned for life for throwing games. Not sure I ever saw that though.
You’re trusting him with the integrity of the game either way and at no point should that be a factor of influence. Sports is about pure competition. That can’t be tainted, it goes against the fairness of the game.

Reactions: Pez68 and TLEH

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Gimme s break. There are worse people in the HOF who did worse things than what Rose did. Permanently ineligible is pure bs.

Rose is a slimy scumbag who never showed any remorse for anything he did and his only regret was getting caught.

He deserves nothing when it comes to the HOF dead or alive.

Reactions: Pez68

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We don't know if he never bet against his team. We admittedly only have proof that he bet for his teams to win, but given that he denied even that for a couple decades I don't take his claims that he never bet against the Reds at face value. Once a liar, after all.

And even if he never bet against the Reds, the fact that he bet sometimes obviously raises into question if he managed games differently. If he didn't have money on a game, did he rest players to have them ready for a game he did bet on (specifically if he ever didn't use a cluch closer or reliever where a circumstance otherwise merited it)? We have no way of knowing, and that's why a blanket ban is required, as the act of betting on some games invariably and logically impacts the decisions you make on the games you don't bet on. Or did he burn through players to win games he bet on at the cost of future games?

Not to mention that I have a hard time imagining that him not betting on some games or betting on other games didn't impact bookie behavior and oddsmaking, and so who knows if he gamed that to any degree.

Are there bigger dirtbags than him? Sure. But gambling on baseball has been a universally banned thing for personnel involved in the game for generations. It's basically the one red line that MLB doesn't walk back from, and Rose is so damn high profile that they have to stick to their guns to show that if even he can get banned then so would random journeymen and minor leaguers if they get caught, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad