Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) #37 - Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Petey and Rivs think the Sabres should trade Mittelstadt and bring in Boone Jenner... I get the idea to improve the PK but is our PK troubles because of the players or the coaching/system?

I am not going to say Mitts is untouchable, if someone offers the farm for him then yes you can move him. I'll listen to offers but in no way would I be actively trying to move him.
I stopped listening and following those guys. They don’t really have any idea what they’re talking about a lot of the time and don’t recognize how much the game has changed over the last decade. And that’s without even getting into their non-hockey takes and having JR on the show.

But back to the topic, definitely keep Mittelstadt and give him some good line mates. We still haven’t seen his beat hockey yet

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
I stopped listening and following those guys. They don’t really have any idea what they’re talking about a lot of the time and don’t recognize how much the game has changed over the last decade. And that’s without even getting into their non-hockey takes and having JR on the show.

But back to the topic, definitely keep Mittelstadt and give him some good line mates. We still haven’t seen his beat hockey yet
I do still enjoy listening to them but some of there takes are outlandish. I love when Vanek and Gio are on and although he is a controversial figure, I do enjoy JR's takes and the stories he tells from time to time but wanting to move Mittelstadt is WILD to me.

Reactions: mviewer1

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I do still enjoy listening to them but some of there takes are outlandish. I love when Vanek and Gio are on and although he is a controversial figure, I do enjoy JR's takes and the stories he tells from time to time but wanting to move Mittelstadt is WILD to me.

Seems like just the latest in the "trade player x for Jenner" because big/strong/faceoff thing they were doing in the last six months. I don't listen regularly but it's something I've noticed in the smattering of times I've listened since this season began.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Seems like just the latest in the "trade player x for Jenner" because big/strong/faceoff thing they were doing in the last six months. I don't listen regularly but it's something I've noticed in the smattering of times I've listened since this season began.
Definitely isn't the first time Boone Jenners name has been brought up on that podcast lol

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
If Vanek and Gio had a show, I would definitely listen to that. They know 100x more about hockey and current players and prospects than Petey and Rivs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If Vanek and Gio had a show, I would definitely listen to that. They know 100x more about hockey and current players and prospects than Petey and Rivs.

I appreciate that Van prepares and has his lists in the times I've listened. Granted, usually it's just the hosts making fun of him for it or Gio winding Rivs up so they don't get to much.

Reactions: dire wolf

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
It might be a little risky, but if I’m Adams I try to lock Mitts up this off-season. Add 4 years after this bridge contract he is on. I just get the sense that he is going to get a lot more expensive.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Is he getting it or is it a hot streak? He's got the talent. People say he is a 50-60 point player but maybe he has a higher ceiling? Looking forward to his game next year.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He's playing with higher quality linemates. And getting top line minutes. It makes a difference.
He is making the plays too though. Before he would go east-west now he gets more zone entries and his passing is more accurate. He is also stronger on the boards.

I remember watching him before and plays would die on his stick.

Its not just linemates, if he wasn't making the plays he wouldn't be where he is at.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Is he getting it or is it a hot streak? He's got the talent. People say he is a 50-60 point player but maybe he has a higher ceiling? Looking forward to his game next year.
I think he was pretty consistent at a 45 pt pace or so earlier in the season while dragging Olofsson and whatever random winger was filling in. That alone was a consistently good effort, the last month or so has shown how much better he can be with decent linemates. I don't see it as a hot streak. I see a good player developing into a near finished product, and finally playing with decent linemates under competent coaching. He's a 50-60 pt C/W that can play any top-9 spot. That's a good player that you want to pay a fair salary to keep.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
He is making the plays too though. Before he would go east-west now he gets more zone entries and his passing is more accurate. He is also stronger on the boards.

I remember watching him before and plays would die on his stick.

Its not just linemates, if he wasn't making the plays he wouldn't be where he is at.
True. But having confidence in your linemates has to help with overall confidence, I think.

As everything, it's a bit of a lot of things.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he was pretty consistent at a 45 pt pace or so earlier in the season while dragging Olofsson and whatever random winger was filling in. That alone was a consistently good effort, the last month or so has shown how much better he can be with decent linemates. I don't see it as a hot streak. I see a good player developing into a near finished product, and finally playing with decent linemates under competent coaching. He's a 50-60 pt C/W that can play any top-9 spot. That's a good player that you want to pay a fair salary to keep.

Yeah, first 34 games (first three months) he was on a 46 point pace. A versatile, well-liked player with versatility is a nice player to have.

Grinder44

Jun 6, 2006
Los Angeles
Acquire a good dman or a defensive center without giving away a kid who's just shown that he can be a very valuable piece that elevates the entire top six, and finally looks worthy of that top 10 draft pick. He elevated the top six with his play over the past couple months. I love it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
One thing that is noticeable is he is able to keep up with the speed of the NHL game. He is getting to the point where he is a step ahead of the play where before he was going east-west making bad passes and trying to figure things out.
He finally got his head out of his ass after the 19-20 season about the level of off-season strength/condition work he needed to do.

Prior to that season his offseason trainer, former Sabre Erik Rasmussen, couldn’t get through to Mitts about the level work he needed to do. I remember reading an article about Rasmussen’s frustration over it. It took getting sent to the minors for Mitts to finally wake up and reassess his situation. Thankfully he did. Not every player reacts that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad