Rumor: Carolina had a deal in place for Gibson at the deadline, but backed out

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
To Anaheim: Eichel
To Carolina: Gibson
To Buffalo: 3rd OA + Warren Foegele + Jake Bean + Ryan Suzuki

Other shoe that drops for Carolina with Ned moving. Only thing holding up the Canes' obvious need is the league wanting to milk the trade for the Draft show.
That’s…not the worst thing I’ve ever seen…

Maybe the Ducks add a bit?

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
When was the last time a major, total blockbuster of a deal was made for a goaltender? The last two I can think of were Patrick Roy in 1995-1996, and Dominik Hasek the 2001 offseason.

The trade for Roy:

Roy and captain Mike Keane to Colorado for 20-year-old goalie Jocelyn Thibault and wingers Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko.

Goalies aren't worth what people think they are worth, especially analytically.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
The trade for Roy:

Roy and captain Mike Keane to Colorado for 20-year-old goalie Jocelyn Thibault and wingers Martin Rucinsky and Andrei Kovalenko.

Goalies aren't worth what people think they are worth, especially analytically.

...you seriously took maybe the worst trade in Montreal Canadiens history to show that goalies aren't worth much??...no, that was Rejean Houle that wasn't worth much there...terrible example...

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
You said Aho for Gibson++++ is fair but Gibson isn’t a base for Aho

That's just being pedantic. if it's a package deal of Zegras 3rd ovr gibson and the keys to the honda center it isn't gibson ++++, it's a package of all the assets in which gibson is apart of.

Christ on his cross.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Can we just rent out Gibson to Carolina next season? Something like Gibson for 2022 1st+conditional 2023 2nd (if Canes win the Cup and Gibby plays half or more of the playoff games), then after the season Gibson back to Anaheim for future considerations. Canes become a powerhouse next season, Gibson remembers what it's like to play behind a real team again, and Ducks probably get one of those top 3 picks :D

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
...you seriously took maybe the worst trade in Montreal Canadiens history to show that goalies aren't worth much??...no, that was Rejean Houle that wasn't worth much there...terrible example...

Well I was responding to the other poster saying "huge blockbuster of a trade for a goaltender"....well that wasnt really a blockbuster. It was Roy for scraps as it turned out.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Roy basically forced that trade so Montreal had no leverage. Also Thibault was a super high end prospect at the time. I think they probably did about as well as they could have.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Thibault was 10th overall… would be viewed like Spencer Knight today

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yes. The reactions by these people are hilarious. I apologize if my presence here offended you.
Didn’t offend me at all. Just having fun pointing out that your post said this is a nothingburger that should be ignored, yet you couldn’t restrain yourself and ignore the thread yourself.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
What about Schneider? Rask? Flip side, the greatest goalie of all time got traded for Slava frigging Kozlov.... all depends on the circumstances. I know that I've recently read that Gibson isn't available but after seeing this, could that just be a half assed b/s statement from Murray to keep Gibson's value/moral up ?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
What about Schneider? Rask? Flip side, the greatest goalie of all time got traded for Slava frigging Kozlov.... all depends on the circumstances. I know that I've recently read that Gibson isn't available but after seeing this, could that just be a half assed b/s statement from Murray to keep Gibson's value/moral up ?

Vancouver was in a situation where everyone knew they were forced to move a goalie, and still got a top 10 pick for Schneider. Anaheim has no reason to move Gibson unless they feel the offer will make them a better team moving forward.

Rask was moved as a prospect, doesn't apply.

Hasek demanded to be traded to a contender, was moved for a top 6 F + a 1st round pick.

Like you said, all depends on the circumstances. Gibson just signed a long term deal, hasn't demanded a trade. Absolutely nothing forcing the Ducks hand, if he's dealt under these circumstances - the offer will surely need to be tremendous.

To the couple of posters saying a team shouldn't take him for free...just embarrassing to be on here analyzing players when you're that clueless.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
If Colorado and Grubauer are not even close on numbers then I have a hard time believing the Canes will offer him much more. I would guess the Canes sign a player like Ullmark or Andersen to a 1 year deal to parlay a big contract.
Would Carolina want Andersen after the bad blood from the draft? I doubt he goes to Carolina after that

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
Vancouver was in a situation where everyone knew they were forced to move a goalie, and still got a top 10 pick for Schneider. Anaheim has no reason to move Gibson unless they feel the offer will make them a better team moving forward.

Rask was moved as a prospect, doesn't apply.

Hasek demanded to be traded to a contender, was moved for a top 6 F + a 1st round pick.

Like you said, all depends on the circumstances. Gibson just signed a long term deal, hasn't demanded a trade. Absolutely nothing forcing the Ducks hand, if he's dealt under these circumstances - the offer will surely need to be tremendous.

To the couple of posters saying a team shouldn't take him for free...just embarrassing to be on here analyzing players when you're that clueless.
I totally agree with you, he's absolutely not a cap dump, that's pure idiocy. Imo his value is probably down a little bit but he's still a very good goalie. I'm just wondering if he's actually available right now or not is all.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Would Carolina want Andersen after the bad blood from the draft? I doubt he goes to Carolina after that

I don't think that's an issue. The entire ownership/management group is different now. The Owner, GM, AGM, VPs, Scouts, coaches, etc..are complete changed over since he was drafted and spurned Carolina years ago.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

Canes won’t want him because he’s just not that good anymore especially if he can’t stay healthy. Leafs squeezed all the juice they could out of that orange

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
If there was or is any truth to Gibson being available I have no idea why or how Holland hasn't been taping the ducks phone lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad