Rumor: Carolina had a deal in place for Gibson at the deadline, but backed out

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah sure. Neverforgotten.

So you wanna trade the CAR 1st + Aho for Gibson + 3rd OVR?

No. Canes window is now, so moving Aho+1st for a 3rd OVR+Gibson makes almost no sense. I don't think you realize just how good Aho is, nor how important to Carolina's success he is. The next leading scorer on Carolina was 7 goals and 13 points short of Aho (in just 56 games). The prior season, the next leading goal scorer was 14 goals behind Aho (in 68 games). On top of that, Trocheck is a UFA next year and Staal the following year, so moving Aho leaves them incredibly shallow at C.

Looking at Value, I would say:

Aho > 3rd OA
Gibson > Canes 1st (27th OA)

But this isn't a value discussion because that fails to take into account where the team is today.

Jan 21, 2018
again, just an idea. this isn't a trade offer. It's "what would a gibson trade look like" and it's not even an unreasonable one. I never said it was a 1 for 1 swap.

Dude, just stop before you embarrass yourself further. It is completely unreasonable for you to think that Gibson has similar trade value as Aho, Waddell isn’t even dumb enough to make that trade.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
again, just an idea. this isn't a trade offer. It's "what would a gibson trade look like" and it's not even an unreasonable one. I never said it was a 1 for 1 swap.
If I’m Carolina and I’m offered Zegras, Drysdale and Gibson for Aho maybe I consider moving my franchise player but take out one of Zegras/Drysdale and it’s a laughable offer for a true game changing 1c signed long term to a bargain contract

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
No. Canes window is now, so moving Aho+1st for a 3rd OVR+Gibson makes almost no sense. I don't think you realize just how good Aho is, nor how important to Carolina's success he is. The next leading scorer on Carolina was 7 goals and 13 points short of Aho (in just 56 games). The prior season, the next leading goal scorer was 14 goals behind Aho (in 68 games). On top of that, Trocheck is a UFA next year and Staal the following year, so moving Aho leaves them incredibly shallow at C.

Looking at Value, I would say:

Aho > 3rd OA
Gibson > Canes 1st (27th OA)

But this isn't a value discussion because that fails to take into account where the team is today.

To Carolina: Gibson + Eichel
To Anaheim: Aho + Jake Bean
To Buffalo: #3 Overall + #26 Overall + Warren Foegele

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
If I’m Carolina and I’m offered Zegras, Drysdale and Gibson for Aho maybe I consider moving my franchise player but take out one of Zegras/Drysdale and it’s a laughable offer for a true game changing 1c signed long term to a bargain contract

I even said above that Anaheim is still gonna have to add to get Aho, but because people only read "gibson for aho" here we are.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I even said above that Anaheim is still gonna have to add to get Aho, but because people only read "gibson for aho" here we are.

I think the problem is that most of us can't see any deal that makes sense for Carolina (given the situation we are in) where Aho for Gibson (+) makes sense. Without Aho, the Canes offense is anemic and our top 2 centers are only under contract for another 1-2 years. Not a good spot to be in when you feel your cup contending window is now.

The idea of getting Gibson would be to push the team over the top, not to subtract one of the most critical pieces as that's 1 step forward and maybe 2 steps back.

That's the problem with including Aho.

This isn't a situation like Buffalo where they won't be contending for a few years and They want to move Eichel and/or he wants to be moved.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Mackinnon, McDavid and Aho are not going to be moved and the fact you think he’s worth anywhere near as much as one of them is absurd

Reactions: TFHockey

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
What would the package for Gibson look like?
michael-scott-the-office-thats-what-she-said-meme.jpeg

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Anaheim fans are delusionnal lmao. Aho is so much more valuable than Gibson it is not even funny. I am not even sure Gibson returns more than a 2nd at this point tbh.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
How did this thread turn into an Aho trade proposal thread?

If Gibson is traded to Carolina it will be for a 1st and a top prospect. Maybe a little more but not much.

Goaltenders not named Price (in his prime) or Roy don't command the kind of value being thrown around here. And this is coming from a Ducks fan.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Anaheim fans are delusionnal lmao. Aho is so much more valuable than Gibson it is not even funny. I am not even sure Gibson returns more than a 2nd at this point tbh.
I mean it’s 1 Anaheim fan

and how can you go from calling a whole fan base delusional and then finish your sentence comment with the bolded part, honestly every time i see Montreal fans post I start to wonder how they arnt considered as bad as leaf fans

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
When was the last time a major, total blockbuster of a deal was made for a goaltender? The last two I can think of were Patrick Roy in 1995-1996, and Dominik Hasek the 2001 offseason.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

and how can you go from calling a whole fan base delusional and then finish your sentence comment with the bolded part, honestly every time i see Montreal fans post I start to wonder how they arnt considered as bad as leaf fans
Anaheim would need a massive return for Gibson given that they don’t have another goalie close to taking over. So they could end up like Det, Buf, Edm, etc who have been seeking a legit starter for many years now.

given the state of their roster looking at a prospect or elc player or one that just finished elc.
Gibson is under contract for 6 more years. A prospect, a team has control for a maximum of 7 seasons at the nhl level or until they turn 27. So,
Would make sense for both teams if that’s the kind of deal we are looking at.

ducks can keep rolling Gibson out there. What is Carolina looking at for their net?

Reactions: Beckett

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada

That Gibson contract is negative value in two years max.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad