Rumor: Carolina had a deal in place for Gibson at the deadline, but backed out

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Wonder if it's related to getting rid of Ned, but then they didn't get Gibson
Gibson's good but probably cheaper than he should be so could be a bargain

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
It would be amazing because then we would know time travel existed since the almost deal between Carolina and Anaheim was at the trade deadline and the Ned stuff just happened today.

listen here, I’m not going to listen to a sound byte in the year of our lord 2021 in this economy.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
lmao buddy enjoy that dead cap in a few years on a terrible team with no prospects but Zegras.
Are you that upset that I don’t agree that gibson will only get a 2nd

Prob coming to the realization that Montreal ain’t making playoffs this year

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I said this in the Ned thread on the Canes board, but I predict the Canes will sign Freddy Andersen. If he's healthy, it's not a bad gamble IMO.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I said this in the Ned thread on the Canes board, but I predict the Canes will sign Freddy Andersen. If he's healthy, it's not a bad gamble IMO.

Wouldn't Grubauer make more sense?

IIRC the Canes offered a slightly better deal (I think 1 pick earlier or something like that) for Grubauer but the Caps chose the Avs cause of different conference (and probably because they wanted to keep the goalie pipeline to Colorado flowing)...

Grubauer has said he wants to stay with the Avs but from what people are saying, they are not even close on the numbers so far. And the Avs probably can't afford both him and Landeskog anyways.
So wouldn't that make a bit more sense than gambling on Andersen who after last season doesn't really look like an upgrade to Ned.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

IIRC the Canes offered a slightly better deal (I think 1 pick earlier or something like that) for Grubauer but the Caps chose the Avs cause of different conference (and probably because they wanted to keep the goalie pipeline to Colorado flowing)...

Grubauer has said he wants to stay with the Avs but from what people are saying, they are not even close on the numbers so far. And the Avs probably can't afford both him and Landeskog anyways.
So wouldn't that make a bit more sense than gambling on Andersen who after last season doesn't really look like an upgrade to Ned.

Maybe he does. Just that the Canes have been rumored to be interested in Andersen the last two off seasons so I was putting 1+1 together and coming up with 4.

You are right though, they were interested in Grubauer back then as well.

Reactions: JoemAvs

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

If Colorado and Grubauer are not even close on numbers then I have a hard time believing the Canes will offer him much more. I would guess the Canes sign a player like Ullmark or Andersen to a 1 year deal to parlay a big contract.

Reactions: Tryamw

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Why did people get so worked over a joke post ? Obviously it’s not gonna take aho. The canes have enough prospects and picks to make it work for both sides without any of their key players needed to be involved. Hell we can even see trade at the draft if they feel like they can circle back to a trade

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I'll keep saying the same thing I said last year: Andersen isn't much of an improvement over Carolina's goaltending the past few years, if he is an improvement at all. And that's even before 20-21.

If they going to move on from Ned, they need to have a major upgrade lined up. Andersen isn't that.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Seems kind of strange to trade a Calder candidate(who was signed to a very reasonable contract subsequently) and then sign Freddy Andersen as his replacement.

Gibson deal is the only one that made sense (with some cap retention).

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Wow

Wonder why they backed out.

If today's events are any indication then apparently it's because they're required to pay him money.
tenor (5).gif

Reactions: Trxjw

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
And I'll be absolutely livid if that's what the game plan ends up being. That would be just this side of everyone that was calling for us to sign Holtby last year level of stupid to move on from Ned for a worse and more expensive goalie. This needs to be a deal for Lehner or Gibson for things to not be a complete f***up of how they managed this situation.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
They seem like great partners. Carolina has lots of assets.

Expecting to get an asser anywhere close to Aho in a Gibson deal is just lunacy.
I feel like Leafs, Avs, Hurricanes, and oilers make a lot of sense for Gibson(oilers bein a little bit on the lesser side)...

all 3 teams have decent assets to make the move... the question is... do teams believe gibson will put em over the top and will they pay the high price anaheim likely wants. not that i think gibson is realistically going to be traded(unless we have a plan to sign a FA goalie directly after the trade)

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I've said for awhile that I wouldn't be shocked if the package for Eichel was something like:

3rd OA, Gibson ++

To Anaheim: Eichel
To Carolina: Gibson
To Buffalo: 3rd OA + Warren Foegele + Jake Bean + Ryan Suzuki

Other shoe that drops for Carolina with Ned moving. Only thing holding up the Canes' obvious need is the league wanting to milk the trade for the Draft show.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I've said for awhile that I wouldn't be shocked if the package for Eichel was something like:

3rd OA, Gibson ++
See the problem with that trade scenario is i dont think anahaim is going to "sell low" on gibson... so if it is 3rd overall + gibson i feel like the addons would be lesser than guys like Comtois/Perreault

Maybe something like
3rd overall + Gibson + Steel + D prospect(not named drysdale)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I dont mind that... but i feel like anaheim has to add a piece or 2 going to buffalo(likely smaller pieces)

Cause from anaheim its
3rd + Gibson for Eichel, which seems a bit under value... and i get carolina is adding assets to take gibson, but i still think anaheim makes out like bandits there

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Other shoe that drops for Carolina with Ned moving. Only thing holding up the Canes' obvious need is the league wanting to milk the trade for the Draft show.
We are not sending any of our boys to Buffalo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad