GDT: carfla

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Necas has had a couple good showings this playoffs, but certainly not good enough consistently.

I don't think any option is off the table for him, but it'd still have to be a superstar level move to move on and have it be worth it.

Really, he hasn't been consistent enough for months. I miss the God mode version from earlier on the season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think moving Necas in a big swing is starting to make a lot of sense. He's going to have high stock after this year, there's enough red flags about his game that I don't think we are going to sign him long term, but he will make a ton of money somewhere. If there is a chance to move him for a long term upgrade now, it's the right time.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
TNT Postgame remarks

Summarizing the panel in general: Canes got BOBed big time.

Biz about the Canes: "I don't think they got any of the calls, either. I thought there might have been a few soft ones called on Carolina, you saw the high stick at the end, it's just plain and simple, nothing is going their way."

Gretzky: "But I don't think there was any question, Carolina all in all was probably the better team tonight but Florida killed the penalties when they had to, they got a big powerplay goal when they needed the powerplay goal, and we talked about this in game one, their pp and pk wasn't very strong and games 2 and 3 it's been the difference in the series."

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
There are definitely deficiencies in the offensive game right now. And they don't really have the offensive talent level as things stand to do a lot different. But for the style they need to play with the current team, they've played it really well this series. I'd say we probably should at least have a win this series and it's not a far leap to even more with as close as it's been. But sometimes that's the cruel mistress that is sports/hockey.
I don't really disagree, but i think the issues are a bit overstated, at least from the point of view that i think it has more to do with florida playing really solid d with bob to clean up anything that gets through.

Hell, florida has one 5v5 goal in the last two games. And tnt acts like we're playing gretzky's oilers or something. :hushguyemoji

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Last minute: Necas thinking he could do a triple axle combo and blowing a tire, and then that high looping toss to get the puck in the o-zone were some low hockey IQ.
I think the worst is that we ran a set play off an offensive zone faceoff for a backdoor pass to Necas and he just blew through the zone never looking for the pass. That's the moment you bench his ass for the remainder of the game

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Keith Jones going on about Florida's defense was laughable. It goes to show you that mistakes only count if they end up in the back of the net.

Boston limited the Canes to 5.72 5v5 xGF over 4 games in 2019. That's exceptional defense. Against Tampa over 5 games, it was 8.58. That's elite. 10.94 over about 4 this series is not.

Cormag001

Feb 9, 2019
I think the worst is that we ran a set play off an offensive zone faceoff for a backdoor pass to Necas and he just blew through the zone never looking for the pass. That's the moment you bench his ass for the remainder of the game
Maybe I'm giving Necas too much slack, but the way he bee-lined to the net makes me believe the idea behind that play was for Burns to throw it on net and Necas to try to clean up a rebound.

At least I hope so.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Maybe I'm giving Necas too much slack, but the way he bee-lined to the net makes me believe the idea behind that play was for Burns to throw it on net and Necas to try to clean up a rebound.

At least I hope so.
The way he has been playing, he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt

Reactions: zman77
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Gretzky knows we've been the better team.

Everyone does. But Bob's playing out of his mind. And he's a player on the other team, and that counts.

I'm not watching the same games some of you are. Bob's making 10-bell saves every game, saves that should be goals. Yes, we don't have the pure goal scorers. That hadn't mattered through 2 rounds (against a "good" goalie in Sorokin, and a "hot" goalie in Schmidt, in case you want to attack either angle of how we can't beat "good" or "hot" goalies), because we were figuring out a way to do it by volume, the "Hurricanes way." Florida's D are playing well, but we're still getting the chances and just not a single one is going. We're not hitting any more or less crests of the jersey than we have the last 2 months. We're just watching an all-time goaltending performance on the level of JS Giguere (or maybe even better) and are on the other end of it and it sucks when it happens to your team.

And then, after 100 shots in a row without scoring, maybe does he get in your head or make you squeeze the stick a little? Sure. But he did that to us, that's not us beating ourselves. This isn't the same as the tail end of the regular season. The chances are there and they're getting stopped by maybe the hottest goalie of all time.

(It's funny because I was thinking before the playoffs started about the goaltending situation for next year and was wondering if the front office would get cute and try to "Marleau" Florida's Bob situation and maybe get some draft capital in exchange for taking him on with some retention. Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen now... :laugh:)

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
0 goals scored 5v5 in this series is inexcusable. After the way they've vanished in previous years when we get eliminated, you just cannot ignore it anymore and say they're being goalied. Outside of Martinook going ham on NJ, our forwards have been shit this playoff run.
The best players in the World have been 'Goalied' by Bob.
He's playing at an exceptional level these PLay-Offs.
Marner, Mattews, Patch and Marchand know it.

Reactions: LakeLivin

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Everyone does. But Bob's playing out of his mind. And he's a player on the other team, and that counts.

I'm not watching the same games some of you are. Bob's making 10-bell saves every game, saves that should be goals. Yes, we don't have the pure goal scorers. That hadn't mattered through 2 rounds (against a "good" goalie in Sorokin, and a "hot" goalie in Schmidt, in case you want to attack either angle of how we can't beat "good" or "hot" goalies), because we were figuring out a way to do it by volume, the "Hurricanes way." Florida's D are playing well, but we're still getting the chances and just not a single one is going. We're not hitting any more or less crests of the jersey than we have the last 2 months. We're just watching an all-time goaltending performance on the level of JS Giguere (or maybe even better) and are on the other end of it and it sucks when it happens to your team.

And then, after 100 shots in a row without scoring, maybe does he get in your head or make you squeeze the stick a little? Sure. But he did that to us. This isn't the same as the tail end of the regular season. The chances are there and they're getting stopped by maybe the hottest goalie of all time.

(It's funny because I was thinking before the playoffs started about the goaltending situation for next year and was wondering if the front office would get cute and try to "Marleau" Florida's Bob situation and maybe get some draft capital in exchange for taking him on with some retention. Somehow I don't think that's gonna happen now... :laugh:)

He's playing like a goalie who wins a cup. No question. I don't think anyone should question that.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
Bob'd again. That + the post hits really feels like "team of destiny" stuff from Florida
Officiating has certainly bought in. I say this as a person that saw the Canes take liberties at times in 2006. Once the narrative slips your way "game management" often follows. Tampa and Boston certainly had that in their favor in the past years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad