Player Discussion Carey Price - Moving Home Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm not bias at all no way, but I would argue the opposite. I'd say he was as composed as can be for a goalie.

Pressure wise he was always at his best when the games mattered the most. Be it WJC, Olympics, Playoffs, etc - he was always money. You could see it on the ice too. He was so in control of the game and his team always fed off of that. Truly a sight to watch even if the end result didn't go his way.

His regular seasons are wonky yeah. Not all of them tho he had some really good ones too, but lots of stinkers his last 5 like you said. Really makes it tough to fairly judge his career considering how good he was when the stakes were high. But i also feel had we iced better teams during those years, we'd also see Price match that and elevate his game too.

Guy was just a stoic in the crease. Always thought he was the perfect guy for the CH. His composure was the least of worries me personally
He was on God awful teams those last five years. Look at the club in 17-18. It’s a rotating cast of scrubs. We picked up Alzner to replace Markov and had ten mil in open cap space. No goalie is going to be able to do anything with that.

As for composure, he was well known for being calm under pressure throughout his career. Moreover his career playoff numbers are great overall better than his regular seasons and incredible from 2011 onward. Multiple series where he beat a heavy favourite and came within a game 7 OT goal of defeating the eventual cup champs in 2011.

HOFer. A shame he was stuck in those brutal teams. But it’s a testament to him that he took a shot roster to the finals.

The only thing I’d say is that they don’t have him announce at the seat - ever again. :)

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
He'll get into the Hall of Fame without a doubt, I think the biggest debate is if he should have his jersey retired by the Habs.
Would be a travesty to me if any number is retired before Toe Blake's #6

Named as one of the top 100 players of all time by the NHL (2017)
Retired as the second leading scorer in NHL history
Part of the greatest line in team history (his Punch Line mates The Rocket and Elmer Lach #'s are retired)
Won the scoring title and Hart trophy
Captained two Cup winners
First Hab to win the Lady Byng trophy (Mats Naslund is the only other Hab to win it)
Greatest coach in team history

The Habs have a bunch of Hall of Famers who don't have their # retired.

Reactions: rickthegoon

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Would be a travesty to me if any number is retired before Toe Blake's #6

Named as one of the top 100 players of all time by the NHL (2017)
Retired as the second leading scorer in NHL history
Part of the greatest line in team history (his Punch Line mates The Rocket and Elmer Lach #'s are retired)
Won the scoring title and Hart trophy
Captained two Cup winners
First Hab to win the Lady Byng trophy (Mats Naslund is the only other Hab to win it)
Greatest coach in team history

The Habs have a bunch of Hall of Famers who don't have their # retired.
Totally agree Blake should’ve been retired long ago.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He was on God awful teams those last five years. Look at the club in 17-18. It’s a rotating cast of scrubs. We picked up Alzner to replace Markov and had ten mil in open cap space. No goalie is going to be able to do anything with that.

As for composure, he was well known for being calm under pressure throughout his career. Moreover his career playoff numbers are great overall better than his regular seasons and incredible from 2011 onward. Multiple series where he beat a heavy favourite and came within a game 7 OT goal of defeating the eventual cup champs in 2011.

HOFer. A shame he was stuck in those brutal teams. But it’s a testament to him that he took a shot roster to the finals.

The only thing I’d say is that they don’t have him announce at the seat - ever again. :)
Yep. Carey was so good he carried non playoff teams into the playoffs, but those last 5 years the team was just worse than bad.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Yep. Carey was so good he carried non playoff teams into the playoffs, but those last 5 years the team was just worse than bad.
We could never score goals for Price..............never.
He got terrible run support so to speak................wasn't Kovalev in Price's rookie year the only PPG player on the habs.
Truly amazing how they just laid it all on Price, year after year.
Sad....
The summer of 2017 it went from bad to worse....you are bang on, they were brutal.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We could never score goals for Price..............never.
He got terrible run support so to speak................wasn't Kovalev in Price's rookie year the only PPG player on the habs.
Truly amazing how they just laid it all on Price, year after year.
Sad....
The summer of 2017 it went from bad to worse....you are bang on, they were brutal.
When we lost Weber to injury in the 17-18 season we were cooked. Same thing as when we lost Markov in 2012… the team had high end talent on the top pair most of those years but zero depth. The 2017-18 year was so sad to watch. Guys like Schlemko and Alzner. Petry was the only real blueliner we had.

Those were years we should’ve been contending. f***ing huge waste of talent.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I like carey alot and while I would probably rank him on the lower end of the all time habs greats in goal, I'd still have his name in that same sphere.

But which years are we particularly talking about when he clearly took non playoff teams into the playoffs? 2011-2014, budaj also put up very respectable numbers behind those habs teams. He was perhaps the only competent backup that price had. The others were typically one year band aids who were reclamation projects or their best days were behind them. They had an incomplete core, but they still had some decent peices particularly on defense for most of those years up until that disaster 2017 summer.

I think the case where it would have been the most clear was 18-19, but they just barely missed out. That roster overachieved big time. It was the one where domi got 70 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I like carey alot and while I would probably rank him on the lower end of the all time habs greats in goal, I'd still have his name in that same sphere.

But which years are we particularly talking about when he clearly took non playoff teams into the playoffs? 2011-2014, budaj also put up very respectable numbers behind those habs teams. He was perhaps the only competent backup that price had. The others were typically one year band aids who were reclamation projects or their best days were behind them. They had an incomplete core, but they still had some decent peices particularly on defense for most of those years up until that disaster 2017 summer.

I think the case where it would have been the most clear was 18-19, but they just barely missed out. That roster overachieved big time. It was the one where domi got 70 points.
I was being sarcastic. Price was solid for 4-5 years, a couple of years you could argue he was one of the best players in the world, but it was short lived. I never believed he carried non playoff teams to the playoffs etc, only the worshippers believe that. When the team and d stunk, so did he.

The last 4-5’years his regular seasons have been pretty bad tbh. He’s been dealing with injuries and addiction so it is understandable, but posters here refused to call it like it was. Still claiming he was the best in the world etc when it was definitely not the case.

Reactions: rickthegoon

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I loved him as a player, but in my mind his lustre keeps fading with every season the team is forced to spend 10.5M less in the off-season to avoid putting him on LTIR.He has banked 21M for not playing last season and this one, he can cement his legacy by just retiring and letting the team move forward . I understand that he has no reason to walk away from what he is owed, but for me it is worse than Mathews and Marner squeezing every dime out of Toronto since they are at least contributing to the team on the ice. We are not talking about a player who earned 2M a year over his career, he should be set for his and his children's lifetimes.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
The results in 2015-2016 after Price went down for good in November paint a pretty complete picture indicating the 2013-2014 (9th overall) and 2014-2015 (2nd overall) teams in front of him ****ing sucked, but maybe that's just me...

You'd think an alleged "great" group of skaters that got full seasons out of Patches, Galch, Plek, Markov, and Eller, and didn't lose Petry and P.K. until the season was long gone should have been able to weather the storm of a revolving door of bottom 6 injuries and this meh goalie Carey Price.

P.S. **** Bergevin

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I loved him as a player, but in my mind his lustre keeps fading with every season the team is forced to spend 10.5M less in the off-season to avoid putting him on LTIR.He has banked 21M for not playing last season and this one, he can cement his legacy by just retiring and letting the team move forward . I understand that he has no reason to walk away from what he is owed, but for me it is worse than Mathews and Marner squeezing every dime out of Toronto since they are at least contributing to the team on the ice. We are not talking about a player who earned 2M a year over his career, he should be set for his and his children's lifetimes.
Price isn’t going to walk away from millions of dollars so this team can go and blow that money somewhere else for a couple of years. No sane human would do that. LTIR is there for a reason. He’s insurable if need be and he’s really not a problem.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He got injured while working, an injury so bad he couldn't have it resolved by surgery and rehab, and now he is being paid by his work insurance for the remaining duration of his contract. What problem is it you see in this scenario exactly?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Here for Hutson's monster thighs
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I was being sarcastic. Price was solid for 4-5 years, a couple of years you could argue he was one of the best players in the world, but it was short lived. I never believed he carried non playoff teams to the playoffs etc, only the worshippers believe that. When the team and d stunk, so did he.

The last 4-5’years his regular seasons have been pretty bad tbh. He’s been dealing with injuries and addiction so it is understandable, but posters here refused to call it like it was. Still claiming he was the best in the world etc when it was definitely not the case.

I disagree. Price has the highest playoff save% in his last 7 seasons, despite a shitty D. Those teams, between 2017 and 2021 wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

Price also has one of the lowest GF support in his entire career, both seasons and playoffs. Even King Henrik had better GF support.

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
you clearly don't understand that. no.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I disagree. Price has the highest playoff save% in his last 7 seasons, despite a shitty D. Those teams, between 2017 and 2021 wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

Price also has one of the lowest GF support in his entire career, both seasons and playoffs. Even King Henrik had better GF support.
I don’t put a lot of stake in this. Players, especially goalies go on hot runs from time to time. He had a few very good series over that time frame.

His regular season numbers were more reflective of who he was and for 5 years it wasn’t pretty.

Price only made the playoffs 3 times in his last 7years for a grand whopping total of 38 games. Hardly more meaningful this his regular season play over that span.

We needed Covid to make the playoffs 2 out of the 3 times, not Carey Prce.

Reactions: Habs

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t put a lot of stake in this. Players, especially goalies go on hot runs from time to time. He had a few very good series over that time frame.

His regular season numbers were more reflective of who he was and for 5 years it wasn’t pretty.

Price only made the playoffs 3 times in his last 7years for a grand whopping total of 38 games. Hardly more meaningful this his regular season play over that span.

We needed both. That's what happens when your GM puts everyting on one player. Our second highest paid guy over that time was called 'Open Cap space.'

HOFer and yet there were always some here who couldn't enjoy it....

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

His regular season numbers weren’t reflective of who he was the last 5 years. After he missed that full season in 2016, his body was breaking down fast. We didn’t find out the severity of things until they finally pulled the pin after the SCF run. I don’t think it’s a fluke that his play would just immediately jump up ten fold during the playoffs in that time frame. When he was playing for something, he was motivated to play threw the pain. When he was playing on trash teams that weren’t even capable of making the playoffs, that motivation was gone.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
So my interpretation of what he said was he's never going to play regular season hockey for an extended period of time ever again but would play in short stints ie the playoffs. Would be interesting though to see Carey play with a well built team for once in 2ish years

Reactions: PhysicX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad