Value of: Carey Price 50% retained to your team

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
injuries could derail any team in the league . it seems to have put the islanders on the bottom as well . no team can suffer so many injuries and stay competitive
So if healthy you actually think this team is a Cup contender again? :laugh:

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
Price single handedly brings a team to the finals and he still gets disrespected to another level. Posts in this thread are treating him as if he’s a second tier goalie. Any contender that can afford him and trades for him, will win the cup if not at least reach the finals- of that I’m certain.

He Carrie's a 10.5 million cap hit...and for another 4 seasons after this one. What contender can afford that? It would also likely require double retention, since his stats have dropped off quite a bit and regardless of his stellar playoff numbers, he would still be needed to be a good goalie during the regular season since it wouldnt just be a rental for the playoffs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He Carrie's a 10.5 million cap hit...and for another 4 seasons after this one. What contender can afford that? It would also likely require double retention, since his stats have dropped off quite a bit and regardless of his stellar playoff numbers, he would still be needed to be a good goalie during the regular season since it wouldnt just be a rental for the playoffs.

Um... the thread title says 50% retention bud. Pay attention

Reactions: Doc5

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Cup contender "again". Even after the last playoffs, we were not a cup contender and many Habs fans agreed with that. Go somewhere else with your belittle jabs.
Well you have a fan here saying the Habs are actually better than Vegas and Colorado so…

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well you have a fan here saying the Habs are actually better than Vegas and Colorado so…

Last year, they were better than Vegas. Would we have beat the Avs? Who knows but that Habs team was tight and played their system well. They way they were playing a playoff style game, we would have been a very tough team to beat for most teams. Only luck I see is not facing Tampa in the 1st or 2nd round. Even in the finals, we were not beat by offense. We were beat at our own game strategy of solid Defense, very good depth, and goaltending. Habs derailed Tampa's deadly PP with our killer PK and Point had zero goals when he was dominate prior to that.

Regardless, Grouping all Habs fans into one opinion where we thought we were cup contenders heading into this year is disingenuous. Very far from what most of us thought heading into this season. Personally, I was very nervous with the loss of Weber, Danault, and Perry. Even after that, I had us 10-20 range and a bubble team but not many expected this failure... not even non-Habs fans. And, lets say we kept our entire team in place and Weber didn't go on LTIR, the faith was still bubble team trying to make the playoffs and then trying the same defensive strategy with a good counter attack.

Last edited:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
So if healthy you actually think this team is a Cup contender again? :laugh:
no other teams have surpassed them this year . it does not mean that the garbage values being pinned on habs players by montreal hating fans are in any way reasonable.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Maybe the secondary team that retains on Price sends an overpaid contract to Montreal equivalent to $2.5M-$3M.
that won't cut it
for another team to bother, it has to be worthwhile in terms of what they get for participating with however much cap they are eating.

And a big factor in that is the term.
doing a G at 5.25 or even more for a year, in a vacuum, first impression is that is conceivable in the right circumstances

but carrying 5.25 for 4 additional years on a guy w/nmc means there is risk and cost for all three teams
the risk maybe justifiable if the player acquired produces but
the picture is complex

Nobody wants the contract. Let’s not be disingenuous. If Price had a 5-6 million cap hit there would absolutely be a market
for 5 seasons incl this one and a nmc retained by the player
a 3rd team is needed to reduce the cost and risk
and will have to be paid for that service

Hard to see it happening unless the Habs are willing to take a pittance. Even at 50%, Price is not a cheap option in net. I agree with my Habs brethren who say that he can still win series and might take a team to the finals. But at 34 years old, he's not a spring chicken and there is quite a lot of risk that the acquiring team will have to pay to get rid of him in the future. Worthwhile if you win a cup of course, but I think the list of teams willing to go all-in on a 34 year old Carey Price like that is going to be quite short. Teams don't want to pay a fortune for the privilege of putting an end-date on their contending window unless they're already desperate. One or two might bite, but that won't help the cost.

Adding a 3rd team for additional retention is pretty much impossible. The sheer cost of it will be either way too rich for the acquiring team's blood, or dilute the value going to the Habs far too much. And then of course there's just the cost up front. Someone mentioned that teams would sign Price today for 5.25m and give him some term, but that doesn't come with the 1st+prospects that the Habs are going to want. An acquiring team isn't going to want to pay for Price AND extra retention, and the Habs aren't going to trade Price if 75% of the value goes to the middleman.

I believe that Carey Price the goalie is still good enough to win. But I only think a trade happens if the Habs decide they want him gone and are willing to take a surprisingly small return to do it. There just won't be enough suitors who are willing to pay the admission fee and then worry about the years left on the deal.

Rangers can do it if Habs + Oil make it worthwhile
very difficult thread the needle
but it can be done

this thread about Price at half
I will consider a thread next wk w/2 retentions
full by Habs
additional 1.5 by Rangers
complicated to make worthwhile offer for 5 years
but will give it a shot

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Maybe you should pay attention...I commented to someone other than the OP. I also said it would likely require double retention, not just 50%.
Require double retention. :lol: :facepalm:
Price at 5-6 million would have most contenders lining up for him.
The real problem is i don't believe there's a chance in hell that the Habs retain 50% unless the offer is to hard to turn down.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe you should pay attention...I commented to someone other than the OP. I also said it would likely require double retention, not just 50%.

Double Retention?

giphy.gif

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Require double retention. :lol: :facepalm:
Price at 5-6 million would have most contenders lining up for him.
The real problem is i don't believe there's a chance in hell that the Habs retain 50% unless the offer is to hard to turn down.

Ah, not it wouldn't. Not with the term.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who wants him at $5.25M?

More than you would imagine but Price does have NMC so he would be interested in contenders. Most think Oilers and Avs because of that context. Are there more? Possible but we really don't have that information as fans.

And Habs fans don't know if Molson/Gorton are willing to retain that much. But this story will not go away and will pick up steam if the Habs decide to rebuild. I don't believe Price will want to stay and drown in a rebuild like Lundqvist did.

Seattle takes him if his AAV was $5.25M IMO.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Habs might as well keep him at this point . I’m sure teams would want price but his contract makes the trade really difficult. I could maybe see it happening towards the end of the contract if Price is even still playing at that point . Injuries would be a big concern for me if I’m a team trading for him .

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He was literally offered for free to a team with A complete blank slate.

they went with dreiger and Joey daccord.
He has no value at full pop.

the problem becomes the retention. “If” he wants out to chase a cup. How much are they willing tonhelp? It’s a crazy situation.

Seatle not claiming Price at the expension means nothing regarding his trade value. First, they would have to assume the entirety of his contract without retention. Secondly, they were clearly headed in an opposite direction, mostly claiming young players and not in a win now situation.

Price with 50% retention will be extremmely attractive for alot of teams, especially if he comes back in good shape and help team Canada to win gold. The guy carried an average team at 3 wins of the Stanley cup last year despite playing injured. A Price at the top of his game is one of the most dominant players in the league and will surely be in demand at 50% retained and some cap dump to make it works.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs might as well keep him at this point . I’m sure teams would want price but his contract makes the trade really difficult. I could maybe see it happening towards the end of the contract if Price is even still playing at that point . Injuries would be a big concern for me if I’m a team trading for him .

There is no doubt about it. He needs to be healthy and playing again before we can trade him. But if the Habs do decide to rebuild, I have no doubt in my mind that he will want out. No way he wants to drown in a rebuild like Lundqvist did with the Rangers.

Not easy to move yes. But with 50% retention, I think several teams who are contenders looking for a goalie upgrade will consider it. Habs have to focus on futures not turned pro yet IMO.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Seatle not claiming Price at the expension means nothing regarding his trade value. First, they would have to assume the entirety of his contract without retention. Secondly, they were clearly headed in an opposite direction, mostly claiming young players and not in a win now situation.

Price with 50% retention will be extremmely attractive for alot of teams, especially if he comes back in good shape and help team Canada to win gold. The guy carried an average team at 3 wins of the Stanley cup last year despite playing injured. A Price at the top of his game is one of the most dominant players in the league and will surely be in demand at 50% retained and some cap dump to make it works.

If price had more value. Seattle would have taken him and traded him themselves. The return would have been greater

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
we beat the team you guys coudlnt in the playoffs :nod:

That's great, but how is that even remotely relevant? You still finished last season with the 18th best record in the NHL, and 10th best among the Eastern Conference teams. Is that a playoff team, without the special covid divisons? What about finishing with the 24th most points the year before? Playoff team or not, without the special covid bubble play in round?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad