Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR/MTL] Habs accept Kotkaniemi offer sheet (1 year, $6.1M), 2022 1st, 2022 3rd [Part III]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Ding ding ding, wake up call, draft mistakes happen.

I was and I'm still a big KK fan since his draft, but gotta agree that he's not an impressive player so far (if you've seen him play more than 2-3 games actually)
He's still in that "he's got potential" phase. He hasn't been world-beating but it would be imprudent to call him a bust yet.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
59783014.jpg

I don't get this sentiment. What comes after the OS is far more interesting than the OS itself. Why would we stop talking about it as the games start playing? If he lights it up it's a brilliant move, if he struggles that would be interesting as well.

No reason for this discussion to go away.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
imagine using your 3rd overall pick on a complete bust. While other teams used that pick to land potential franchise-changing talents like Heiskanen, Dach, stuetzle etc.

I guess it’s not surprising that habs fans are still desperately trying to convince everyone that Kotkaniemi sucks.
Lol what has Dach and Stuetzle changed?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Based on last two practices, looks like he’s on a line with Aho and Necas. Will probably change 10 times over the first few months though.

Reactions: DaveG

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Habs can offer sheet Necas now. Suzuki signed.

Keep in mind, this year has an $81.5M cap. Assuming no change for 22-23, Carolina currently has $22.2M in cap space available for next year (including Gardiner if he returns from surgery.)

Ask yourself what you would need to offer Necas to get him out of Carolina given the cap space available?

Also keep in mind that this year, going above $8.22M means 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
He's still in that "he's got potential" phase. He hasn't been world-beating but it would be imprudent to call him a bust yet.

Well, have the Hurricanes even played a game yet?!

No.

So what are you even cryin' like babies at Montreal - watch out when the Finland army o' Carolina ... marches on:thumbu:.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019

That Dio chap doin' it boogie woogie-style in his (rather) youth like a young Kotkaniemi will do. Hell Yeah!:nod:

Carolina rocks around.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Exactly. And from the Canes perspective I've got to believe that a good part of Kk's $6m salary this year is actually a bet on that potential. Given what we've seen from the Canes combination of analytics and scouting since Dundon put together the Committee, I'm ok with the risk/ reward potential of the deal.

so whats the game plan for the canes? are they expecting KK to sign a long term deal around the same amount?

Unless KK has an absolute MONSTER season I don't see the Canes making him a $6m qualifying offer next year. Even if he breaks through and has a big year, there's always the chance that it's a blip and the Canes will want to see it sustained before offering that kind of contract.

My guess is that the conversation between the Canes and KK went something like this:

Waddell: How much do you want out of Montreal?
KK: The relationship is pretty bad right now, I really want out.
Waddell: If Bergevin does trade you, how much input will you have in where you end up?
KK: None at all.
Waddell: We've got a young team that looks like it will be a Cup contender for a while. And we've got a coach that guys absolutely love to play for. Would you rather end up in Carolina or are you willing to take your chances on whatever team Bergevin might trade you to?
KK: Well geez Don, if I had my druthers I'd sure rather play for Carolina than risk ending up in Buffalo or Anaheim! [sorry Sabres and Ducks fans]
Waddell: Would you agree that a $3m / 1 year contract for next season would be fair-to-generous?
KK: Yeah, I can't really argue with that.
Waddell: What if we do this. In order to get you out of Montreal we'll get you a $6m contract for next year. In return, you give us your word that you'll forego the official qualifying floor this contract sets when we negotiate your next one. You also agree to "credit" us that extra $3m towards your next contract. We know that's not binding and we're putting ourselves at risk. But we have faith in you and if you give us your word we value you enough to take that risk. Is that something you'd be interested in?
KK: That sounds great. Let's do it!

Obviously pure speculation on my part. And yes, there would be 2 types of risk involved for the Canes, one if KK doesn't develop as the Canes think he will, and the other if KK reneges on the "handshake deal". But I'm sure the Committee did the math, and they felt the potential reward outweighs the risks.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad