Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Frederik Andersen signs with the Hurricanes (2 years, $4.5M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
He is gonna be great behind that steady defence, granted there losing Hamilton. But his numbers in Anaheim were great when their D was loaded. People forget he was really good here for the most part, but I think the pressure was too much. The guy looked scared every interview

I think Freddy has some game left, and I do agree I think he crumbled under the pressure of TOR. When he is on his game he is as good a goaltender we've seen in TOR since Eddy. Unfortunately Freddy would have been dogshit no matter where he played last year. That is just the honest to god truth. Leafs allowed the 7th fewest total goals on the season, and the 5th least amount of shots per game. Freddy was legitimately terrible last year. He could not read the play effectively, and was unable to locate pucks through traffic. I can't count how many high deflections he let in because he was out of position.

A lot of the goals that go in on Freddy are due to his declining ability to read the play. People will see the open net goals from a cross seam dish and be like Freddy had no chance... When in fact that cross seem dish was all that was available, and he is almost consistently late pushing off.

I am on the side of a change of scenery will do wonders for Freddy. When he is on his game his athleticism is what is most impressive, covering the bottom third very effectively. Also when he is on, his glove hand is outstanding. I would not be surprised to see him get his game back, but it won't be because he is moving to a team with monumentally better defense. That would have been the case in years past, but as last year showed, he was at his worst when the defense was at its best.

Reactions: TheScandal89

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
I don't doubt he'll be fine in the regular season.

But he has always been a post-season disaster.

That’s been the narrative despite not being exactly all that accurate.

1.84GAA/.936sv% 2 playoffs ago and 2.75GAA/.922sv% 3 playoffs ago doesn’t spell disaster to me but to each their own.

Freddie’s playoff numbers have been good all but 1 year. His playoff perfomance has been criticized for cracking under pressure but, like I said, the whole Leafs team cracks under pressure every year so I’m not going to place the blame entirely on his shoulders. They folded like a cheap book again last season, and Freddie had no part in it…

One this is for sure, Freddie never put together a playoff performance as bad as Mrazek’s, who ironically joined the Maple Leafs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

That’s been the narrative despite not being exactly all that accurate.

1.84GAA/.936sv% 2 playoffs ago and 2.75GAA/.922sv% 3 playoffs ago doesn’t spell disaster to me but to each their own.

Freddie’s playoff numbers have been good all but 1 year. His playoff perfomance has been criticized for cracking under pressure but, like I said, the whole Leafs team cracks under pressure every year so I’m not going to place the blame entirely on his shoulders. They folded like a cheap book again last season, and Freddie had no part in it…

One this is for sure, Freddie never put together a playoff performance as bad as Mrazek’s, who ironically joined the Maple Leafs

He unfairly took criticism because Marner and Matthews consistently shit the bed in the playoffs.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
football-league-room-vvAKRcpiKdTUs

MattMan

May 31, 2021
So....

The two teams that didn't think their goaltending was good enough in the playoffs...

have essentially swapped goaltenders (Andersen to Carolina, Mrazek to Toronto).

This after the Canes traded Ned to the Wings for Bernier.

Yep, we're in crazy season.

Nobody said the leafs goaltending wasn't good enough these past playoffs. It was the first time in a while that it wasn't a problem, and it was also the first time in a while that Andersen was not the goalie

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Does any team love boring veteran goalies more than Carolina? I still cant fathom they gave away Ned.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Andersen is better than Mrazek ever was.

With less media pressure, this will be a great deal.

Think the bad goalie days at Carolina are finally over. Raanta ain't bad either.

Huh? Neither of those goalies are cup guys.

Zero chance Carolina gets by the Islanders. None.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
The 'pressure' of playing in Toronto isn't what broke Andersen, it's repeated injuries. His lateral mobility is gone. He looks like he has arthritis the way he moves around in the net and he's constantly falling forwards on his face for no reason. The few times he's able to push across when needed he can't stop himself and goes flying out of the crease. Maybe he'll recover from his knee issues but he looked toast physically last season.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I hope he can bounce back. After the chaos in net for the Leafs post-Belfour, Andersen provided some much needed stability and stole plenty of games for the team. I'll choose to remember the good times rather than shit on him for the bad. Good guy, good goalie, good move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad