Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Skyler Brind’Amour signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
No i am happy that canes keep getting worse
That make sense. As a fan of a team that rarely ever makes it out of the first round, I could see how it's better to root that teams that do make it to the 2nd and 3rd round get worse.

Although I fail to see how a signing for a bottom 6 AHL guy makes the NHL team worse.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
That make sense. As a fan of a team that rarely ever makes it out of the first round, I could see how it's better to root that teams that do make it to the 2nd and 3rd round get worse.

Although I fail to see how a signing for a bottom 6 AHL guy makes the NHL team worse.
As the forward in the AHL with the lowest cap hit, he is probably one injury away from being the first guy recalled.

Also, Sam Gagner led the Canes in preseason scoring, yet they choose not to sign him.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Also, Sam Gagner led the Canes in preseason scoring, yet they choose not to sign him.
Ok? He's Sam Gagner, everyone knows who he is. Did some other team rush to quickly sign him to an NHL deal when the Hurricanes declined? Perhaps he's busy determining which of his many offers to consider at the moment.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
As the forward in the AHL with the lowest cap hit, he is probably one injury away from being the first guy recalled.

Ok, do you think Sam Gagner wants to play 4C in the AHL? No? Then this signing has nothing to do with him.

Gagner’s either going to wait for an NHL team to have injury trouble a few months into the season and sign there, or he’s going to go over and play in Europe.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So what you are saying, is that IF the Canes hadn't signed him, then some other player would be the first call-up. But now, since they signed him, Brind'Amour will be the first call up? So essentially the Canes signed a better player (Brind'Amour) than the one that would have been the first call-up prior to this signing? Ok.

Seriously, if he gets called up due to injuries to a center and plays a handful of minutes on the 4th line, it's still not going to have material impact on the team.

If he gets called up due to an injury to a key player in the top 6, then the Canes are screwed no matter who they call up, as they are already thin in the top 6 and none of their prospects/AHLrs are likely to fill that void. This signing has no impact on that.

Pre-season scoring is a meaningless stat and nobody should use that as justification for signing a fringe player. Secondly, maybe because Gagner likely doesn't want to play in the AHL. Lastly, even if he did, maybe the Canes want to use the remaining space in the AHL for player development vs. filling it with a vet. It's not like teams are beating down the doors to sign Gagne.

This signing is much ado about nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad