Confirmed with Link: VAN/COL Poolman (20% retained) + 2025 4th for Erik Brannstrom(Waived)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Brannstrom was highly rated in his draft year, and his skating is close to elite.

Problem is, he's listed at 5'10" and 185, and since coming to the league has been absolutely schooled in his own zone. Probably the reason why Ottawa didn't qualify him.

And ultimately the reason why the Av's were only willing to go one year at $900,000. Kind of a baffling signing really. They already have a flock of smaller, offensive d-men led of course by Cale Makar....but Towes, Girard, Kylington and even De Haan are 6'1" or under. Why sign another under-sized defender?

Brannstrom likely spends most of the season in Abbotsford if he clears waivers.....but is still an RFA heading into next season.

Reactions: David71

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Brannstrom was highly rated in his draft year, and his skating is close to elite.

Problem is, he's listed at 5'10" and 185, and since coming to the league has been absolutely schooled in his own zone. Probably the reason why Ottawa didn't qualify him.

And ultimately the reason why the Av's were only willing to go one year at $900,000. Kind of a baffling signing really. They already have a flock of smaller, offensive d-men led of course by Cale Makar....but Towes, Girard, Kylington and even De Haan are 6'1" or under. Why sign another under-sized defender?

Brannstrom likely spends most of the season in Abbotsford if he clears waivers.....but is still an RFA heading into next season.
his skating in nowhere near elite. Both top speed and burst bang on league average for defenders. not a great shot either. Couple that with his size and inability to competently defend and you have a player likely on his last NA contract.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
That one's been dealt with though. This was the last one that needed to be cleaned up - IIRC, the only other Benning legacy contracts on the team IIRC are Hughes, Demko, and Garland (and Klimovich, lol)
The stink is dissipating.

1728274254737.png

Last edited:

The Stig

Rest In Peace Johnny Gaudreau
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I keep seeing "he had a really bad camp" but I don't know what that means. Did he accidentally shoot the puck at the coaches mom's head or something?

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I keep seeing "he had a really bad camp" but I don't know what that means. Did he accidentally shoot the puck at the coaches mom's head or something?

High pedigree player that just has not taken the next step. This was the summer that Brannstrom had to come back and look like he leveled up but he has stagnated.

Reactions: The Stig

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I don't get this. We wanted to free up cap room but wasn't Poolman on LTIRetired so his cap already didn't count towards our cap? i'm confused.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I don't get this. We wanted to free up cap room but wasn't Poolman on LTIRetired so his cap already didn't count towards our cap? i'm confused.

That’s not how LTIR works. Essentially, LTIR means you can exceed that cap by that contract amount (2.5m). However there’s another mechanism in place. It’s called daily cap accrual. Every day you gain a little bit more cap space. It grows quite a bit and with say 2.5m in space to start the year, that becomes around 11m by the trade deadline.

If you are on LTIR, you don’t accrue cap space. So you have 2.5m in cap space but it remain static all year. By trading Poolman’s contract (20% retained so Canucks free up 2m) and waiving Brannstrom they are able to get below the salary cap and accrue cap space every day.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I originally read this as "Canucks get Brunnstrom" and I'm like why are we getting some failed 39 year old forward? Than I realize I am old as f*** and I should get new glasses.
That hatty in his first season was epic though lol.... Nonis' big swing if he had kept his job. Yikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad