Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] F Skyler Brind’Amour signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $775k, two-way)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed that it’s not some huge deal. Really more of a “why are we still doing this in 2024?” sort of topic. For all the money and media and technology, the NHL still acts like a mom n pop operation sometimes.

The Canes version of it actually being kind of a big deal was drafting Josh Wesley 96th overall. That was a decently high draft pick and while Wesley was a legit prospect, I don’t think we were beating anyone to the punch. At least part of it was a desire to have Glen’s kid inside the family. Turned out to be an ECHL/AHL tweener and now plays in Europe.

Guys taken later that round — Devon Toews, Viktor Arvidsson, Danton Heinen, Michael Bunting, Igor Shesterkin.

Sports will do that in general.
Bronny James, who just averaged under 5 points a game in college, had a 2:1 A/TO ration as a guard and shot 25% for three was just drafted in the NBA draft that is both much shorter and much more packed with talent.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

there-she-is-star-trek.gif

kid was actually pretty decent in the pre-season here so no complaints on my part, he's AHL bound and the guy slotted to play as the #1 C down there this coming season hasn't played the position since he was 13 until this pre-season.

Reactions: bleedgreen

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

there-she-is-star-trek.gif

kid was actually pretty decent in the pre-season here so no complaints on my part, he's AHL bound and the guy slotted to play as the #1 C down there this coming season hasn't played the position since he was 13 until this pre-season.

He's slotted to play 1C? He had 8 points in 54 games last season.

• Haha
Reactions: Dempsey

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He's slotted to play 1C? He had 8 points in 54 games last season.
No. Read it again. Dave said his only competition at center is a guy who hasn’t played center since he was 13, Unger-Sorum. I assume Suzuki will be there and probably at center as well.

Sbrindy is a bottom six grinder who will play that role at the AHL level unless he develops offense. He played that role pretty well in preseason and seemingly had a good camp.

Reactions: DaveG

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
This move reminds me of when they gave Jared Staal a couple of NHL games because of who his brothers were.

Maybe this kind of stuff breeds loyalty towards the org from the players? Maybe the team just wants to use it for marketing purposes.
A lot of people don't realize that NHL teams are businesses first and foremost and their primary goal is to make money.

I do think executives definitely do "favours" like this for PR/networking though, for example, Montreal trading Petry to his hometown of Detroit. I think a lot of players pay attention to things like that.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
On the plus side he is big.

Is he any better or worse than Kyle MacLean, the Stillman or Foote brothers or the dozens of offspring of former NHL players currently shuffling between the AHL and the NHL on NHL contracts?

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
No. Read it again. Dave said his only competition at center is a guy who hasn’t played center since he was 13, Unger-Sorum. I assume Suzuki will be there and probably at center as well.

Sbrindy is a bottom six grinder who will play that role at the AHL level unless he develops offense. He played that role pretty well in preseason and seemingly had a good camp.

Pavlychev, Robidas and Panwar?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Panwar and Pavlychev are ECHLrs sthat will probably end up there once the Canes assign their prospects to the AHL.

Robidas has never played a game in the AHL yet either.

I mean all of them aren't exactly clear steps below Brindamour so I wouldn't bet my house on him being the 1C.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I mean all of them aren't exactly clear steps below Brindamour so I wouldn't bet my house on him being the 1C.
Skyler wont be the 1C of Chicago. That was a Montreal fan with nothing better to do.

Bleed said Skyler will be a bottom 6 player for Chicago. Which between Suzuki, FUS, Brindy and Robidas, those are your likely center assignments in order. Robidas could take the 3rd spot from Skyler at some time but its hard to say at this point because Robidas hasn’t played an AHL game yet (as previously mentioned).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad